What's in the Garden?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CWS4322 said:
Beans up the ying yang, tomatoes, cukes, zucchini, okra, corn, bok choy, potatoes, beets, carrots, onions, broccoli, cabbage, peppers (hot and sweet), kale, Swiss Chard, pattypan squash...I probably have forgotten something...Back out to the farm to get more stuff to "put up" on Sunday.

CWS, you wear me out!

I wear me out! But, come January, all this work will have been worth it. Trying to be a "mostly self-sustaining" farmer is hard work.

I've got a lot of basil, some sweet potatoes, green bell pepper, and cubanelle peppers growing in the garden right now. I'm starting my planning for the fall garden though.
CT how do you use your cubanelle peppers?
kadesma

Taxlady, tell me more about the chocolate mint. Taste? Uses? I've seen it around, but know nothing at all about it!

My herbs keep bolting into flowers. I wish I knew how to prevent it or slow it down.

Kathleen said:
Taxlady, tell me more about the chocolate mint. Taste? Uses? I've seen it around, but know nothing at all about it!

My herbs keep bolting into flowers. I wish I knew how to prevent it or slow it down.

Kathleen, just pinch or snip the flowers off before they're completely, um, flowered. I like to leave some flowers as they attract honeybees like crazy.

Chocolate mint tastes mildly chocolate, more mint. I grew it years ago in pots. It would be nice in your chocolate-cherry pies. You could also dry it and crumble it on stuff. It would make a nice garnish for any chocolate drink: hot choc, choc milk, creme de cacao and creme de menthe drinks, Kahlua drinks. Nice to garnish ice cream, thinking mint choc chip, choc, or vanilla.

Hmm. May have to grow it again.

Last edited:

I'm wondering what to use it for too. It smells mildly like an After Eight Mint. I will give Dawg's suggestions a try.

I just pinch off the flowers and eat them. Hmm, the flowers might make a pretty garnish.

No, Dawluver; I've usually had good tasting cukes, too. They did get bitter when they got too big, tho.

I see some of you have had the animals munching in the garden also..we've had deer, squirrels and rabbits eating the almost-ripe tomatoes, but have gotten quite a few for tomato/spaghetti sauce, and we should get more before too long.
Last summer we hardly had anything and literally nothing to share with neighbors, so this year is certainly an improvement over that!!

peekaboo, wondering how your garden has been doing lately, are you getting more 'maters? Mine have stopped producing for a couple of weeks now, I think it's just been too blasted hot.

peekaboo, wondering how your garden has been doing lately, are you getting more 'maters? Mine have stopped producing for a couple of weeks now, I think it's just been too blasted hot.

Hi, Cheryl J; what tomatoes I have left are ripening slowly, and just hoping the animals don't get them before we do. :ermm:
I had three big Rainbows that were almost ripe, and fastened plastic wrap around the cage so nothing could get to them....however, they somehow got underneath it and got them, anyway. :ohmy:

If your temps are too hot they won't produce, and/or blossoms will drop off, so maybe that's why they stopped. Ours did that too, but now that it's cooled down, they are blooming again. Hopefully, yours will too. :)

image-3022545755.jpg

I forgot to add the green beans, and we actually have double the amount of cherry toms. This is more than enough for 2 people! CWS and other large scalers, I don't know how you do it!

Last edited:
I, too, have had a slow-down of tomatoes ripening, and think it was the secondary heat wave (we had an incredibly big one in July, then fall-like weather through the first weeks of August, and now back to normal August weather). It was funny because I had so many tomatoes early-ish in the season, then none. But looking out there I'll have a bunch of them again.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I ate over a pound of orange cherry tomatoes yesterday...I couldn't stop! Roe's mom brought them to me.

They're so good! I only grew 3 cherry tom plants, and they're really producing.

Ang has so many tomatoes, she's telling people they can take Roe for a walk if they take a pound of tomatoes, too.:LOL::LOL:

PrincessFiona60 said:
Ang has so many tomatoes, she's telling people they can take Roe for a walk if they take a pound of tomatoes, too.:LOL::LOL:

I have a feeling that's an easy sell!

Hi, Cheryl J; what tomatoes I have left are ripening slowly, and just hoping the animals don't get them before we do. :ermm:
I had three big Rainbows that were almost ripe, and fastened plastic wrap around the cage so nothing could get to them....however, they somehow got underneath it and got them, anyway. :ohmy:

If your temps are too hot they won't produce, and/or blossoms will drop off, so maybe that's why they stopped. Ours did that too, but now that it's cooled down, they are blooming again. Hopefully, yours will too. :)

Those critters will find a way, huh? :LOL: Mine are for sure done for this year, peek. I got a good harvest while they lasted though, and will for sure do patios again next year, times three. They did so well I'm going to triple the amount. :)

Back
Top Bottom