"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 11-04-2004, 08:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliev
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
Alix,

Did you ever see that I Love Lucy episode where she was trying to get rid of the extra beef she had and was selling it out of a baby carriage inside the meat store? lol

The other day a guy came into James's store with 3 packages of deer meat. He asked if we would like to buy them. I think James has seen him around town, and he did not appear to be very well off. James gave him a few dollars and told him to keep the meat so that he would have something to eat.

:) Barbara
@ I love Lucy!!!... Yes, I saw that episode... hilarious!! If I had a big freezer, I wouldn't mind having that much beef!

she was born and raised from my hometown.
When my husband was a kid he got to kiss Lucille Ball on the cheek. He thought that was neat, but what he really loved was that he also got to kiss Elizabeth Montgomery (Bewitched) on the cheek. He had a huge crush on her at the time!

My grandmother is very good friends with Lucy's best friend, that she referred to on the show occasionally. It's neat.

Old 11-06-2004, 03:15 PM   #22
Executive Chef

I've never bought meat off a truck, but I dont think we have alot of ranchers here in Maine. I have bought shrimp off a truck once, but kept wondering if they had kept it cold enough, so it turned me off of buying it again. The only other things I've bought off a truck were blueberries, and strawberries.

Old 11-07-2004, 08:42 AM   #23
Senior Cook

When it comes to meat off a truck, and they say beef, we want BOVINE!!!!
I remember a post like this on another board, we really have to know our terms when it comes to buying meat, especially if it may be of unknown origin.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:39 PM   #24
Everymom

debthecook, did you have a bad experience with this?

I don't think there is any question as to the provenance of this beef. Selling from the back of a truck is a pretty common sight lately here in Alberta. Since the beef (bovine) is not selling to international markets the way we would like, the ranchers are selling it in the cities off the backs of semis. They are meticulous in their records, and I agree that you should do everything you can to make sure you are getting what you THINK you are getting. I doubt there are enough horses in the province to cover the amount of meat being sold. There is a LOT of beef being sold this way.But heck, even if it WERE horse instead of cow...well...it tasted fine to me.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:26 PM   #25
Senior Cook

And what is the crap that you wrote in your first post that the ranchers don't want to deal with, I don't understand that part.
I never bought meat from the back of a truck, you said think it is uniquely Canadien? Well, if it tasted fine to you, I guess it must have been ok? You wanted us to chime in, I did.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:29 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Re: Back of the truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
OK, I bought some beef from the back of a truck today. The ranchers here are sick of all the crap being dished out so they are selling their beef off the back of trucks.

Excellent prices. Just wondering if anyone else has done this. I think this might be uniquely Canadian right now, but all the rest of you chime in with any of your experiences of buying meat somewhere other than a store. I'd love to read them.
I have bought (frozen) beef, chicken, and seafood from a guy that comes around to my house every once in a while. GREAT stuff!
This is another company that does this;

http://www.schwans.com/product/category.aspx?tb=2

After talking with Alix and Tanis, I kinda wish I had some Canadian beef in my fridge. If you would buy it from a the back of a truck Alix, I'm sure I would to.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:28 AM   #27
Everymom

Um deb? Did I inadvertently say something to upset you? If I did, I am sorry.

The "crap" I am referring to is a long involved story. The ranchers here were supposed to get some $ from the gov't and it has since been discovered that the $ went to the packers etc...not the folks who really needed it. That is the Readers Digest version.

As to being uniquely Canadian...I should have specified Albertan, I believe I did in a later post.

Again, if something I said irritated you, I am sorry. No offense of any kind intended, this was supposed to be a somewhat lighthearted thread. Just looking for interesting stories.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:48 AM   #28
Senior Cook

You did not upset me Alix.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:35 PM   #29
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
I think it was a misunderstanding....when I first read the post from Deb I was like " WHOOOO!!!! What the heck is going on here???" Then MJ kindly posted the first quote and you called OUR beef dellema a bunch of crap...lol.....sorry dont mean to laugh but I aint got a choice, it's kinda humerous.....anyways.....ALBERTA BEEF OFF THE BACK OF A TRUCK!!! SUPPORT ALBERTA RANCHERS!!!!!
Old 11-08-2004, 06:48 PM   #30
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tancowgirl2000
ALBERTA BEEF OFF THE BACK OF A TRUCK!!! SUPPORT ALBERTA RANCHERS!!!!!
I would if they would drive those trucks down to Pageland! lol

Tags
None