Cooking Perfect Bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was it crispy? A restaurant in town serves bacon that is flat and does not look shrunk, but it is rubbery. I am not big on bacon, but to me, it should be shrunken, all curly and wavy, and crispy.

Ahhhh .. ok .. the shrinkage thing. Well I may try this someday.

But I must say, I kind of like the shrinky dink effect of nice crispy bacon.

I'm not sure why the shrinkage thing is such a big deal with bacon. If you cook bacon to the point of crispiness, that means most of the fat has been cooked off and the lean is well done. What's the difference if that piece is 7" long or 9" long? It's the same amount of bacon. It's just curly vs. flat.

We have been frying our bacon in the oven now for a couple years. We used to fry it on the stove top.
I have a cast iron griddle I keep in the oven (space reasons).
When we want bacon we preheat our oven with the CI griddle inside. Then lay out the bacon on it and turn one time.
We buy thick bacon so it takes about 15-20 minutes at 350. Much easier than frying and less mess.
Nice to be able to put it in and do other things beside babysitting bacon frying.

I just cooked a lb in the toaster oven, 1/2 lb at a time. It turned out perfect. 400°, on a crumpled, then uncrumpled piece of foil on a baking sheet, for 15 minutes, flipped, another 5 minutes, drain, done!

No matter how you cook it it's bacon so it's all good. :yum:

I agree with Andy. Shrinkage is no big deal. ;)

Bacon should be curly. The pig has a curly tail so bacon should too. :pig:

Bones, Not babysitting is nice but you still have to clean the oven. One thing in life I've learned is you never get away from cleaning. :LOL:

I fixed your post ;)

What???? You been peeking in my oven? :LOL:

It is one of those places that takes second priority. Out of site out of mind. :rolleyes:

Andy I've got one of those buttons too but I've found I need to vacate the premises when I push it. :(

I just cooked a lb in the toaster oven, 1/2 lb at a time. It turned out perfect. 400°, on a crumpled, then uncrumpled piece of foil on a baking sheet, for 15 minutes, flipped, another 5 minutes, drain, done!

I do this, too, but I pour the bacon fat into a canning jar that lives in the fridge and use it to fry potatoes and/or eggs.

I'm sure that when bacon shrinks it just loses some fat and gets slightly thicker. If it doesn't shrink, it will be thinner.

Was it crispy? A restaurant in town serves bacon that is flat and does not look shrunk, but it is rubbery. I am not big on bacon, but to me, it should be shrunken, all curly and wavy, and crispy.
They probably use one of those trendy flat weights sold for the purpose of producing flat cooked bacon. The rubbery-ness perhaps comes from steam generated from the cooking bacon collecting under the weight and unable to escape.

Back
Top Bottom