"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 01-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #21
Executive Chef

It was a revelation to me when I moved to the country and discovered that you can eat meat without going to the grocery or the butcher. A number of us on this forum raise our own meat to butcher ourselves, and hunting is a big deal where I live. We allow folks to hunt on our property and they always give us a portion of their harvest.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #22
Head Chef

I use both a butcher and supermarkets. I use the butcher exclusively for beef, lamb and goat. I also get hand trimmed chicken from my butcher but it is definitely more expensive than the super market so sometimes I buy chicken breasts and the lean ground chicken and turkey from the super market.

Once I got used to the butcher and the choice of picking the meat, the hand timming they do and the quality I had a hard time going back to the supermarket stuff.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:19 PM   #23
Executive Chef

I have an excellent supermarket nearby with decent meats. I also have a fine butcher and a pasturing farm nearby for outstanding meat, eggs, butter, etc.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #24
Honey Badger

I'd be so lost without our butcher.I love his swiss sausage.Oh it's to die for! :) Family owned and passed down to him...Were so lucky to have him.

He knows I only shop once a month for meats.I can call in an order have have it ready packaged up to suit me in a day or two.It's cheaper for me to buy in bulk/cases then shopping at the grocery store.

Good sign of a great butcher?.... When you have to rearrange your schedule to avoid the long lines :))))

Munky.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #25
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
No secret about where you shop Barb...same as me. Family Foods and Barb & Patty's. The best part of Barb & Patty's is that they will cut you a roast for 2, 3 or however many people you intend to feed, or make chops and steaks exactly to your specifications. This sure minimizes leftovers and waste. Plus, they make a variety of ethnic sausages that rival the old world butchers...and never an additional charge! No wonder they are so successful.
IMHO that is only one of the beauties of a real butcher. and those of you who have one available and don't patronize him (her?) are contributing to the demise of this noble profession.

I have not purchased supermarket meat for years, by choice. I would rather not eat meat I am not sure where it came from. My butcher can tell me. I also purchase meat from the farmers at the Greenmarket in New York. I'm not being "holier than thou," but I am constantly reminded of the health problems caused by the steroids, hormones and antibiotics that are added to the feed of feed-lot meat.

If more people paid attention to that, maybe we would have better meat available in the grocery stores. Just a thought....
Old 02-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #26
Head Chef

I use both the butcher and grocery store. The butcher I like is inside of Findlay Market and I don't get there every Saturday. It is wonderful to go to the market in the summer and get the fresh veggies, flowers and hit the cheese shop and the butcher shop. The quality of a butcher is much better than a grocery, plus you can customize what you want.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
It was a revelation to me when I moved to the country and discovered that you can eat meat without going to the grocery or the butcher. A number of us on this forum raise our own meat to butcher ourselves, and hunting is a big deal where I live. We allow folks to hunt on our property and they always give us a portion of their harvest.
Bless you Beth for allowing others to hunt on you property. Here in Md it's pay to play other than state owned land. We have a butcher shop close by but it's pretty expensive. I do much better at Costco.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #28
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
Bless you Beth for allowing others to hunt on you property. Here in Md it's pay to play other than state owned land. We have a butcher shop close by but it's pretty expensive. I do much better at Costco.
you may "do better" pricewise, John, but that's at the expense of quality. I have never been pleased with the quality of meat I have been served that came from big box stores. Sadly.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:07 AM   #29
Assistant Cook

I recently bought some ground beef from Albertsons. I was cooking it up and saw something blue in it. I didnt think much of it and picked it out and threw it in the sink. Then I saw another, and another, and so on. My wife looked at it and said it was something rubbery.

I called Albertsons and they said oh sorry its a glove or a food rubber band. It happens all the time, no need to bring it back, we will give you some more. I decided to get some Morans ground beef instead, but after that night I have been grinding my own beef now using my kitchen aid and an attachment we got at our wedding 10 years ago and NEVER EVEN USED. :) Let me tell you, it is some of the best ground beef I have ever had. (The great thing is you get to control what goes in it. I put 1/2 chuck, 1/2 top sirloin.)

I agree that the service and quality and the big super markets is not consistent like it would be from a real butcher.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:16 AM   #30
Cook

I wish I had a "real" butcher. I think I am going to google and see if I can find one near me now :)

Tags
None