"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Old 10-05-2005, 09:09 AM   #31
Master Chef
The best hotdogs I've ever eaten come from a little German butcher shop up the road in Albiers, Il. When it comes to the mass produced kind, I like Oscar Meyer best, but HB prefers Ball Park Franks.
I eat mine with mustard, kraut, and relish...if I'm feeling fancy, I toast the bun and melt a little cheese into the kraut.
Once in a while, I also like a chili dog (no beans) with shredded cheddar.
And I LOVE LOVE LOVE a good state fair corn dog. All I need for that is a dollap of mustard.
Sometimes I open a can of Cambell's Bean with Bacon soup to go with our dogs...they taste great together.

We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:30 AM   #32
Senior Cook
When I get the 'good' hot dogs made by a local company

I don't put anything on them. Just grill or pan fry until split

and lightly charred. When I have a 'regular' hot dog like a

nationl brand then I add any of the following. sauerkraut,

mustard, sweet pickle relish, chili, onions or bacon and

cheddar cheese.

Lizannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:59 AM   #33
Senior Cook
Sloppy Joe sauce, hot chow chow, relish, onions, cheese, BBQ sauce if it is spicy, not smokey, mustard, only if it Dijon from Dijon.
bevkile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:46 AM   #34
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Real good "wursts" for hot dogs are made in Germany, it is NOT the sausage sausage, it is pretty much the hotdog wiener but carry a smokey, intense flavour and the texture is firmer, not spongy... and of course they go wonderfully with sauerkrauts and bavarian mustards...
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:12 AM   #35
Executive Chef
In the past, I've bought cheese-filled hot dogs at the market that were pretty good. I might give them a try again. There could be other "flavors" available.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 02:54 PM   #36
Senior Cook
i like my hotdogs with chopped tomato, raw onion, and chopped pickle... i think thats called "chicago style" mustard, no ketchup.
HappyAvocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:52 AM   #37
Executive Chef
This is really great on hotdogs, and you really don't need to add anything else. Especially if you like mustard, kraut, etc on your hotdogs.

Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:17 AM   #38
Assistant Cook
Icelandic hot dogs

Icelandic hot dog sausages taste different from any other hot dog sausage I've tried.

When I make hot dogs at home, I like to use ketchup, remoulade and crisp french fried onions, and I prefer to grill the sausage. When I eat at Bæjarins Bestu (Reykjavík's most famous hot dog stand) I order one with "everything": ketchup, brown mustard, remoulade, french fried onions and chopped raw onions. Legend has it that they cook their sausages in lager or beef broth (or a mixture of both) to make them taste extra good.

Other hot dog vendors also offer chili sauce, garlic sauce, salsa, cocktail sauce (a concoction made with mayonnaise, sour cream and tomato sauce), and pickled red cabbage. Some also offer hot dogs with french fries nestling in the bun with the sausage and topped with cheese.

CrémeBrulée is offline   Reply With Quote