Inverted Bratwursts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YT2095

Executive Chef
does anyone know a way to prevent my Bratwurst sausages from splitting along the length and then flipping themselves inside-out?

they end up like a close up of an over cooked Rice grain )( kinda shape.

they do it in the Oven on the rack and in a pan also.

oddly the Mini versions don`t do this nor do English sausages.

anyone?

I boil (simmer) mine in beer first, with a little onion in it.
They cook al the way thru, no splitting,
Then they are just on the grill to get brown and crisp for a short time. Still no splitting because it's a short time.
MMM I may have to go grill in the 5 degree weather today.

does anyone know a way to prevent my Bratwurst sausages from splitting along the length and then flipping themselves inside-out?

they end up like a close up of an over cooked Rice grain )( kinda shape.

they do it in the Oven on the rack and in a pan also.

oddly the Mini versions don`t do this nor do English sausages.

anyone?

Try pricking them with a fork before cooking, to release steam as they cook. HTH.

Bob, I have no idea, I`v tried several different way (other than boiling) with these all with the same result.

Andy, I`m becoming increasingly of the opinion that this may indeed be the case!

Suzi, I may just try that! I have done the mini ones in beer before and they turn out nice, but if this happen to them again under water, then I fear they will be Entirely inedible!

GG, Good idea, although I was taught never to do this...

I think Logically what I should do is put 2 of them in the water with onions, 2 cooked as always and 2 cooked with fork holes in.

at least That way we shall have Something to eat should 1 or 2 of the experiments fail.

I usually boil them in plain water first sometimes even a day ahead then pop on the grill to a nice golden brown and have never had a problem with them splitting. Also be sure the grill is not too hot either. A nice slow roast on the grill is what is called for even if they are pre-cooked.

I was indeed told this, and several times by several sources.

apparently it Encourages the splitting like a ladder in stocking.
but non the less, I will indeed try 2 sausages using your idea, and lets face it, I can hardly make it any worse! :D

I was indeed told this, and several times by several sources.

apparently it Encourages the splitting like a ladder in stocking.
but non the less, I will indeed try 2 sausages using your idea, and lets face it, I can hardly make it any worse! :D

I'll be interested to hear how your experiment works out :)

I cook brats fairly often but NEVER prick them. When you do that it releases the juices from the brats and dries them out. I do the "simmer in beer and onion" thing for about 10 minutes, then drop them on the bbq grill for another 10 minutes. They come out juicy and never split.

If you want to cook them indoors, use a grill pan or put them in a cast iron pan in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes after simmering in beer. The are fantastic and they won't split that way either. I use Johnson's brats by the way.

well the sort I have here are by Dulano, I buy them from Lidls.

DQ, yeah, that`s along similar lines to what I was taught too, Never prick them, and So....
what I shall have to do is this, rather than do 2 the same way as I normally do them as a "control group" I`ll do those in Your way.

so now we have:

2x Pricked
2x just boiled
2x boiled and then griddle pan

I don`t think I really need a control group in this particular experiment, since if I didn`t already Know what they will do, I would never have made this thread in the 1`st place :)

I can't imagine sausage losing so much moisture (aka fat) from a few small holes that they would actually dry out. And if you google "how to prevent sausage from exploding" (without the quotes), there are a lot of sites whose directions include pricking with a fork, like this one: http://www.loussausage.com/wisbratwurst.html

Must be close to dinnertime over there, YT :)

I've never had my brats split and cook them on the grill all the time, over LOW heat like already mentioned. And I roll them often. If I'm grilling hot dogs they will split and I like them that way, but they are cooked over high heat/much faster. I prick them if I'm boiling them because that's what mom always did. A split hot dog that has been boiled does not look appetising.....
I'd say lower your heat and flip them more, YT.

Isn't that nice..... we can get YT to be our dinner Gunea pig before we even bother to start ours!!! :)

oh I dunno, a Good Hot-Dog will take both equally well, the last time I did them I was cooking for 50 people and had a whole bunch of them simmering away in beer and onions with Liquid smoke added.

never had a single complaint and loads came back for seconds!

as for the heat, I will not drop below a sustained 100c for Anyone when it comes to meat!
sorry and all that :P

edit:
Suzi, I`ll take the cam with me in case there are any Extraordinary results and post them in here also. it`s ok being told stuff etc... but it`s better to see Empirical evidence.

Last edited:
well I have news for everyone, they ALL Burst!

I will post pics in the morning showing the results, for Now I decided the grill pan to rescue them wasn`t doing the job fast enough and so they are All in the oven now, hopefully they will dry out a little :(

oddly though, the ones that were done IN the oven alone but pricked all over Didn`t burst as badly as normal, they tended to burst everywhere at once leaving a reasonably uniform shape behind as there was no tension to invert them.

I`m with Andy here, I think it`s just the nature of these particular brats .

Back
Top Bottom