"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #21
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver

I would certainly think so.
Glad to hear that! That was the only cast iron press they had at Bed Bath & Beyond, which is the most convenient place for me to shop for cookware.
__________________

__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:30 PM   #22
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Update: The Emeril bacon press worked really well. The shoulder chop stayed flat and cooked evenly.

However, I'm having a challenge with the complex instructions for maintaining the seasoning on the press. Is there an easy way to do it? They're recommending coating it with oil after cleaning it and putting it in the oven each time. Too much work for me! Maybe I need to get a press that's not cast iron?
__________________

__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:51 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8
Update: The Emeril bacon press worked really well. The shoulder chop stayed flat and cooked evenly.

However, I'm having a challenge with the complex instructions for maintaining the seasoning on the press. Is there an easy way to do it? They're recommending coating it with oil after cleaning it and putting it in the oven each time. Too much work for me! Maybe I need to get a press that's not cast iron?
Meh. Wipe it off with a with a paper towel if it's got crud on it, and put it away, if no crud, don't worry about it. I store all my CI in the oven. When I preheat for other stuff, the CI is already in there, and I leave it there.

No worries!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:56 PM   #24
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver

Meh. Wipe it off with a with a paper towel if it's got crud on it, and put it away, if no crud, don't worry about it. I store all my CI in the oven. When I preheat for other stuff, the CI is already in there, and I leave it there.

No worries!
So it's best not to use any soap on it, right? I have very little experience with cast iron.
__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:12 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8

So it's best not to use any soap on it, right? I have very little experience with cast iron.
If you use soap, rinse well and dry VERY well. Then smear it with oil. And it wouldn't hurt to bake it, though you don't have to. With your press, you shouldn't need soap or water, just wipe it off with a paper towel. Leftover grease is your friend!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:46 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
If you use soap, rinse well and dry VERY well. Then smear it with oil. And it wouldn't hurt to bake it, though you don't have to. With your press, you shouldn't need soap or water, just wipe it off with a paper towel. Leftover grease is your friend!
+1
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #27
Sous Chef
 
kitchengoddess8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver

If you use soap, rinse well and dry VERY well. Then smear it with oil. And it wouldn't hurt to bake it, though you don't have to. With your press, you shouldn't need soap or water, just wipe it off with a paper towel. Leftover grease is your friend!
I'm confused about how leaving grease on it could okay. Isn't the grease a hotbed for bacteria?
__________________

__________________
kitchengoddess8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.