"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 10-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
So then that wasn't teasing?
Well, for a guy who cooks squirrel and Voodoo chicken feet, you're ok.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:04 AM   #22
Head Chef

Since the Crock pot / slow cooker was brought up and Since one recipe can be made different ways Here another question
Do you bake, crockpot, On top of the stove cook your pigs.
I use a roasting pan - tomato sauce on the bottom along with cabbage leaves, then the rolls, then more cabbage leaves and tomato sauce. I also top that with slices of bacon bake in the oven. I have also use V8 juice when I forgot to get some tomato sauce. Worked good also. Mind are Hamburg & ground pork, onions, garlic, rice, green pepper
I have seen people put then in a large pot and do it all on top of the stove.
I like the oven due to I like the browning /caramelizing of the top cabbage I start them covered and then when almost done uncover to brown.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:06 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

The first time I ever had these was at the Polish Club in a town near me many years ago. I don't know what they put in their tomato sauce, but the tomatoes were chunky. Not the smooth sauce you find in a can. I have had them with that also. I prefer the first one. I am not even sure of the woman's name who made large pan after large pan of these to feed a huge crowd. I did hear someone say that she used the tomatoes from her own garden. Maybe that made the difference. They did have the standard filling of ground meat, rice, diced veggies, and seasonings. They were so good. It had to have been the seasonings she used along with her fresh tomatoes.

I went home and looked through countless cookbooks in the library. There was a theme that ran through all of them. Place the whole cabbage in a pot of boiling water. Remove from the water, bang the bottom of the cabbage on the edge of the table or countertop, and remove the core. Use a knife if necessary. Place the cabbage back in the boiling water for a short time more.

But there was one book had very good pictures regarding cutting out the center vein on very large leaves, then bringing the two sections together to obtain a solid leaf to place the filling on. This particular book also mentioned that you should use as many of the leaves as possible, before they become too small. Those leaves should be saved for another meal.

The author also gave several fillings. But it was her tomato sauce that caught my eye. A large can of Ro-Tel tomatoes with chilies. Not the typical creamy tomato sauce that so many of the other recipes I saw were recommending. Her seasonings were minimal. Nothing like combining ethnic cultures in the kitchen. I took the book out and brought it home. I then copied it on my computer printer. Back to the library went the book. I wish I still had that recipe.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #24
Master Chef

I do mine in the oven. Years ago I made them in a large Magnalite roasting pan. These days I make a small batch in a pyrex casserole or baking dish. I steam about a dozen cabbage leaves for approx. ten minutes, line the bottom of the casserole with the dark green outer leaves, pile in 6 or 8 cabbage rolls, any leftover cabbage, a sliced carrot or two, tomato juice or a combination of tomato juice and a can of Campbell's condensed cream of tomato soup. I bake them for 90 minutes or more at 350 degrees

I use a basic meatball mix and add raw rice in place of the breadcrumbs.

I agree that many variations exist. When I was younger I put more emphasis on the meat filling and made them larger, these days I put more emphasis on the cabbage and make them smaller. I have seen the addition of bacon but I have never tried it. I have also seen recipes that call for a "glass" of tart jelly instead of or in addition to the tomato product. In my family they serve the pigs with a bowl of sour cream, for a topping.

I have also used other vegetables and stuffing mixtures. It seems like each culture has a version of a stuffed vegetable leaf. Grape leaves stuffed with ground, lamb, rice, mint or dill. Escarole stuffed with breadcrumbs, anchovies, cheese. Lettuce stuffed with ground chicken or veal in chicken broth. I think it's fun to use what you have and experiment. Sometimes you come up with a winner and sometimes you end up having PB&J for dinner!
Old 10-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #25
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Well, for a guy who cooks squirrel and Voodoo chicken feet, you're ok.
Admit it.. you wanted some of the Voodoo chicken stock...
Old 10-13-2014, 08:41 AM   #26
Head Chef

The tomato sauce mine is cooked in is very simple, but good. several onions fried until start to brown, then add a can of diced tomatoes , S & P, toss the stuffed cabbage rolls in. Low boil for awhile ( probablu a good 1 - 2 hrs, at the end, add a few tbs of honey and some lemon juice, Kinda adds a little savory/ sweet thing, plus a little ' twang' from the lemon juice. Not sure of exact measurements, and im too lazy now to go to the kitchen to check :)
Old 10-13-2014, 09:14 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I do mine in the oven. Years ago I made them in a large Magnalite roasting pan. These days I make a small batch in a pyrex casserole or baking dish. I steam about a dozen cabbage leaves for approx. ten minutes, line the bottom of the casserole with the dark green outer leaves, pile in 6 or 8 cabbage rolls, any leftover cabbage, a sliced carrot or two, tomato juice or a combination of tomato juice and a can of Campbell's condensed cream of tomato soup. I bake them for 90 minutes or more at 350 degrees

I use a basic meatball mix and add raw rice in place of the breadcrumbs.

I agree that many variations exist. When I was younger I put more emphasis on the meat filling and made them larger, these days I put more emphasis on the cabbage and make them smaller. I have seen the addition of bacon but I have never tried it. I have also seen recipes that call for a "glass" of tart jelly instead of or in addition to the tomato product. In my family they serve the pigs with a bowl of sour cream, for a topping.

I have also used other vegetables and stuffing mixtures. It seems like each culture has a version of a stuffed vegetable leaf. Grape leaves stuffed with ground, lamb, rice, mint or dill. Escarole stuffed with breadcrumbs, anchovies, cheese. Lettuce stuffed with ground chicken or veal in chicken broth. I think it's fun to use what you have and experiment. Sometimes you come up with a winner and sometimes you end up having PB&J for dinner!
Well said AB. Hmmm... PB&J rolled in a cabbage leaf?
Old 10-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Well said AB. Hmmm... PB&J rolled in a cabbage leaf?
My low carb life is heading in that direction!
Old 10-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
The tomato sauce mine is cooked in is very simple, but good. several onions fried until start to brown, then add a can of diced tomatoes , S & P, toss the stuffed cabbage rolls in. Low boil for awhile ( probablu a good 1 - 2 hrs, at the end, add a few tbs of honey and some lemon juice, Kinda adds a little savory/ sweet thing, plus a little ' twang' from the lemon juice. Not sure of exact measurements, and im too lazy now to go to the kitchen to check :)

that's how my slovakian mil made hers. onions fried in butter, can of tomatoes, seasoning, and a little honey. no lemon, though.

when everything cooks down you end up with a very thin tomato sauce, or almost a broth.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:19 PM   #30
Executive Chef

I have made these once before and they were good. No rice was used however.
I need a good recipe and the steps to making the perfect roll.
The hard part was the rolling.
I want them to look like the pictures above. Nice and pretty. How much mixture goes into those beauties/

It seems the Jewish restaurants I had these in, used tomato juice? Not sauce.

Oh to the OP that makes 6 or 8 rolls, compared to more rolls.
Why?
It would seem making more and freezing would be a better idea?
Why go through the trouble to make them if you are only making a few?

Tags
cabbage