"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 07-31-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
Senior Cook

What is the difference between chorizo and andouille sausage

This really several questions about sausage 1st what is the difference chorizo and andouille 2nd what is the difference between the fresh that is showing up in the super markets and the dried style 3rd what is the difference between mexican/new orleans and european style andoulle? Sorry this is so long, but I just had to ask.

Old 07-31-2006, 02:54 PM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
There are two kinds of chorizo. The Mexican is a fresh sausage, while the Spanish is a dried sausage that comes in long links, like salami.

Andouille sausage is a spicy Cajun sausage. The French make Andouillettes, which are a different product altogether, and are not at all spicy, but are made with chitterlings. If you like those (aka chittlin's) you'll like Andouillettes.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Having lived in Spain for four years, June's summed it up.

Ciao,
Old 07-31-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
Executive Chef

andouille is a cajun sausage, chorizo is not. I am unaware of any mexican andouille product, so I doubt there is any comparison. Fresh is akin to sausage you normally associate with 'needing to be cooked' where dried is already cured..like pepperoni.

If you are seeking to make an authentic dish, I wouldn't substitute either for the other.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
Head Chef

ChefJune is right.

Used to get Portuguese chorizo when we lived in MA, a large Portuguese population, many were, and some still are, fishermen. Cajun andouille, the Portuguese chorizo and kielbasa are variations on the same theme, although they all can have a distinct flavor. I say can have because I have tasted variations of each that can sorta merge into one another.

Love Mexican chorizo but that is a different bird altogether.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:41 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Regarding flavor, they are both spicy but they taste entirely different from one another. Usually, from what I've tried, chorizo will be spicier than andouille. I've tried some andouille that were mild at best. Your best bet would be to buy both and try them to see which that you like better.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:48 PM   #7
Master Chef

Mexican Chorizo has a very loose and greasy texture. it is added to scrambled eggs, burritoes, etc, where it can add its flavor but isn't required for meaty chunks. It is also good when added to ground beef for chili.

Don't look at the ingredient list for Mexican Chorizo. You may not want to eat it if you do. Kind of like cheap hot-dogs.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:40 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
Mexican Chorizo has a very loose and greasy texture. it is added to scrambled eggs, burritoes, etc, where it can add its flavor but isn't required for meaty chunks. It is also good when added to ground beef for chili.

Don't look at the ingredient list for Mexican Chorizo. You may not want to eat it if you do. Kind of like cheap hot-dogs.
Goodweed's description of Mexican chorizo seems accurate for all the commercial products I've tried so far except that I disagree with the notion that they will add anything to "eggs, burritos, etc." Maybe I haven't found the right brand but I've yet to discover a useful purpose for the stuff.

There is, however, a completely different thing also called Mexican Chorizo that I make at home or buy at the meat counter of local Mexican market. There are a lot of recipes but this is a simple one I've been using lately. Some of the recipes I've tried use much more vinegar, and they acquire more of the commercial texture. I prefer this proportion.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:56 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Check out this description of different sausage types. See especially, the Mexican, Spanish and Portugeuse chorizo/chourico.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:02 PM   #10
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Andoullie is Cajun, smoked, spicy, earthy goodness

Chirizo is more like a spicy, equally greasy, Mexican/Spainish, dare i say Pepperoni almost...?

I personally love them both, for different reasons: Gumbo is NOT complete without andoullie and file and okra...Paellia(sp?) is not the same without Chirizo...jmo.

Tags
None