"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 07-26-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Any ideas for very low budget, yet tasty, meals for couples?

Anything cheap for two!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
Executive Chef

What you're asking is quite a nebulous question, one that has been asked many times here on D.C. A little effort doing some research first using the D.C search function will most likely give you what you're looking for. If not, then perhaps being more specific in what you want would be more helpful, and then I'm sure you'll receive a host of friendly advice.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
Executive Chef

soups and pastas, stews etc. you can use meat sparingly, bulk up on the veg, use leftovers etc to create wonderful fresh meals that don't cost a lot. a can of tomatoes (crush them yourself, it's cheaper) a few leaves of basil, get a plant and keep it going all season in your window sill, aromatic veg onion garlic carrot, and leftover meat from a big chop or steak to a meatloaf or whatever, or none at all...peppers and a sausage, salmon works too. over pasta. Amazingly good.

but the key to low cost meals isn't in recipes, it's in basic techniques and using food items to their fullest. read books, cook books, ask questions,watch food tv. all will help you build your repetrory.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
soups and pastas, stews etc. you can use meat sparingly, bulk up on the veg, use leftovers etc to create wonderful fresh meals that don't cost a lot. a can of tomatoes (crush them yourself, it's cheaper) a few leaves of basil, get a plant and keep it going all season in your window sill, aromatic veg onion garlic carrot, and leftover meat from a big chop or steak to a meatloaf or whatever, or none at all...peppers and a sausage, salmon works too. over pasta. Amazingly good.

but the key to low cost meals isn't in recipes, it's in basic techniques and using food items to their fullest. read books, cook books, ask questions,watch food tv. all will help you build your repetrory.
Thanks, Robo. That's a really good point about stocking up with vegetables, as they're much cheaper than meat. I don't eat a lot of meat anyway.

Good idea about the basil. I just bought a small pot of coriander for AU$4, so that should keep me going for a while.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Cans of beans are also inexpensive and very filling.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
Master Chef

I would say just eat what you love and save money by either :
Buying meats in bulk at your butcher and packing and portioning it yourself and freezing in Ziplock bags. Mark the bags, once frozen it's hard to tell what is what.

Buy larger quantities of veg, they are cheaper and you can process and freeze some for later use.

Add bulk to things like mince by adding lentils or beans.

Buy beans dried and cook a large batch and freeze single portions of the cooked beans in Ziplock packets.

You can make a number of delicious soups and freeze in plastic containers for later use.

Buy meats and cheeses on sale when possible, grated cheddar and gouda can be frozen in portions to use on things like lasagna etc.

I buy my meat directly from the supplier and I save almost half of what I used to spend monthly. I buy veggies and fruit at the horticultural market in large bags and prep and freeze extra.
Try store brands of things like tinned food, pasta, rice, cereal etc, Usually they are just as good and sometimes even better than name brands.
Try and do a monthly shop to avoid going to the store often during the month. You will be surprised how much money one wastes when buying daily or weekly. Ever go to the store for milk and find yourself with a full bag when you get home filled with mostly items that you don't need?
You don't have to give up certain food because you have a budget, just buy smart and plan meals :)

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Master Chef

And buy fruit and veg when in season. They are tastier and cheaper then.
Cheap cuts of beef are very tasty when cooked properly and make lovely stews and casseroles.
Buy whole chickens and skin or portion them yourself or just cook the whole bird and make more than one meal out of it.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #8
Half Baked

Chili! You can make it as cheap or expensive as you want.

Mine only has four ingredients;Chuck,Chilis,Onions,Garlic. I don't count the beer I throw in since it came free with other five I drank!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Cans of beans are also inexpensive and very filling.
Dried beans can be more economical.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Dried split peas and ham bone. Crock pot meals are awesome, any combo of ingredients, including the tougher, cheaper cuts of any meat. You can slow cook almost anything in a crock pot, freeze the leftovers.

Tags
meals