"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 01-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #11
Head Chef

One of the first things I've ever 'cooked' was a doctored up soup. I still do it to this day.

I can of vegetarian vegetable soup
1/2 can water
1/2 can white wine
1 knob of butter ( 1 tbs +/-, I just like the word knob)
1 cup ( about) of uncooked egg noodles
1 10 oz package of fresh mushrooms ( sliced)

-Throw it all in a pot,mix,bring to low boil, cook til noodles are done.
-Watch and stir every couple of minutes to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom (because it will)
- May have to add a little water if it gets too thick ( or the noodles absorb too much liquid)
- If more liquid is added, may need to add more salt.
I serve it over an 'end piece' of white bread, cause no one eats it anyway.
The bread absorbs the liquid once you pour it on top, and its like more of a stew than a soup.

A takes all of 10 - 15 minutes from start to finish.
Is it great? no, is it good and quick and satisfying ( and for me nostalgic), absolutely.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #12
Master Chef

I was brought up as a Campbell's kid!

I must have swallowed an ocean of Campbell's chicken noodle soup, my generations version of Ramen noodles.

Here are a few ideas that I have used over the years.

Combining a couple different canned soups to create a new soup is an old trick from the folks at Campbell's, remember this one? 1 can cream of tomato + 1 can split pea + 1 can milk or water = Puree Mongole.

or "Blushing Bunny". 1 can cream of tomato soup + 1/2 can milk + 1 can shredded cheddar cheese (approx. 1 cup) + a shot of Worcestershire sauce. Serve over toast for a quick comfort meal.

Oven Beef Stew

Cut a pound of chuck into cubes. A couple of carrots, potatoes, onions, celery ribs cut into chunks and a few whole button mushrooms wouldn't hurt. Put everything into a casserole with a tight fitting lid, add a 10 3/4 ounce can of undiluted cream of tomato soup, salt, pepper, a bay leaf and a shot of Worcestershire sauce. No need to brown the meat, just toss everything together and bake covered in a 325 to 350 oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

I leave out the potatoes and serve it over mashed potatoes.

Copper Pennies

1 pound of raw carrots, peeled and sliced thin, about 4 cups

1/2 of a medium onion sliced very thin
1/2 of a green or red bell pepper, sliced very thin

Dressing (this is good on tossed salad, great for a crowd)

1 can of condensed tomato soup

3/4 cup of granulated sugar
1/4 cup of oil
3/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
salt and pepper, to taste

Boil sliced carrots until tender and toss with onion and bell peppers. .
Put all dressing ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for approx. 5 minutes until the sugar has dissolved.
Pour hot dressing over vegetables and marinate for 24 hours.

It amazes me how the folks at Campbell's have influenced an entire nation generation after generation.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

If you use canned foods, here's a recipe from my days as a boy scout.

Brown a pound of ground beef and a small onion. Add COM soup, a (16 oz) can of diced potatoes, 8 oz. cans of mushrooms, peas and corn. Stir to combine, heat through and serve.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
They have low-sodium versions. I think they even have salt-free versions.
I have seen the low sodium, but not the salt free. Will have to go on the hunt for them.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Canned soups as a base for a budget meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have seen the low sodium, but not the salt free. Will have to go on the hunt for them.

I use the low sodium canned soups exclusively. They're not that bad. I think I recall no-sodium soup, it was really flat tasting.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:41 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I'm not in any way trying to be judgemental but I'd like to make a couple of points.
When you buy canned soup you're paying for a lot of water.
If it's your family's budget you are focusing on here's some advice.
Flour is cheap. Table butter is too when used sparingly.
When you want to have soup make a basic roux. 2T flour>2T butter.
Stir together in a med. heat pot. Remove and put in the fridge to cool completely.
Boil a quarts of water.
Put the cool roux back the pot and pour in about a 1/2 quart of boiling BTB flavor based water. Whisk whisk whisk. Add more water if the now soup base is too thick.
Buy jars of BTB flavor base. There are lots of BTB bases available. I have BTB Turkey base, BTB Chicken base, BTB Fish base, and BTB Lobster base. The BTB base has sodium so I wait until the soup is made before adding any salt for seasoning.
Add the BTB to the boiling water. Mix well and then add the boiling flavored base to the roux.
You only need a 1 1/2 T of the base for each quart of water.
Sorry, I'm repeating myself.
By choosing which BTB flavor base to use you can go in any direction you want to. You have a soup base you can add anything you want to.
Chicken, turkey, beef, fish/veg.
Of course you can double or triple the ingredients to make a greater volume.
When I make a roux I make a lot and freeze it. I follow Escoffier's method of making a roux: 10 T clarified butter and 12 T 'dextrinized' APF. I let it cool and roll it in cling wrap and later slice off what I need.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:09 PM   #17
Head Chef

Campbells soups are condensed (at least here in UK) i.e. you are not paying for the water, which is added when reconstituting it.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:41 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin3 View Post
I'm not in any way trying to be judgemental but I'd like to make a couple of points.
When you buy canned soup you're paying for a lot of water.
If it's your family's budget you are focusing on here's some advice.
Flour is cheap. Table butter is too when used sparingly.
When you want to have soup make a basic roux. 2T flour>2T butter.
Stir together in a med. heat pot. Remove and put in the fridge to cool completely.
Boil a quarts of water.
Put the cool roux back the pot and pour in about a 1/2 quart of boiling BTB flavor based water. Whisk whisk whisk. Add more water if the now soup base is too thick.
Buy jars of BTB flavor base. There are lots of BTB bases available. I have BTB Turkey base, BTB Chicken base, BTB Fish base, and BTB Lobster base. The BTB base has sodium so I wait until the soup is made before adding any salt for seasoning.
Add the BTB to the boiling water. Mix well and then add the boiling flavored base to the roux.
You only need a 1 1/2 T of the base for each quart of water.
Sorry, I'm repeating myself.
By choosing which BTB flavor base to use you can go in any direction you want to. You have a soup base you can add anything you want to.
Chicken, turkey, beef, fish/veg.
Of course you can double or triple the ingredients to make a greater volume.
When I make a roux I make a lot and freeze it. I follow Escoffier's method of making a roux: 10 T clarified butter and 12 T 'dextrinized' APF. I let it cool and roll it in cling wrap and later slice off what I need.
When someone has a dozen or more types of canned soup, it's impractical to suggest that they replace all that with homemade. And I'm not sure that buying all the ingredients needed would be much savings when you include the value of one's time to prepare it all.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:42 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Campbells soups are condensed (at least here in UK) i.e. you are not paying for the water, which is added when reconstituting it.
Most are; some aren't.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:02 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Canned soups as a base for a budget meal

Most Campbell's are condensed. I think Progresso is ready right from the can uncondensed.

Better Than Bouillon makes a low sodium chicken stock. I buy it at Costco. It's good, and I use it to fortify a lot of stuff. The lobster BTB interests me greatly, but I've never seen any BTB other than chicken and beef around these parts. My good friend Amazon will probably be helpful.

Tags
budget, soup, soups