"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 04-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #41
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Nothing went to waste either. If we were lucky enough to have a chicken dinner, the leftovers would be chicken a la king and the neck and carcass would be soup and stew. Mmmm. I still do that stuff.
Oh, yes I remember this too. And yes, I still do the same. I prefer buying bone-in beef roasts too because I turn them into stock. My Mom could turn a roast of pork into about 5 meals, none even slightly resembling the next!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:22 PM   #42
Sous Chef

Quote:
Oh, what did my Mom do in her spare time? She made many of our clothes! (But that's a different forum LOL!!)
My mom went through that phase too. I wish I had paid attention, you should see what they charge to put in a zipper! DH needed one and it was $17.00 I think! LOL! I can sew on a button but after that I'm lost!

Old 04-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #43
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefkathleen View Post
My mom went through that phase too. I wish I had paid attention, you should see what they charge to put in a zipper! DH needed one and it was $17.00 I think! LOL! I can sew on a button but after that I'm lost!
I learned cooking, sewing, crochet, gardening and food shopping from my Mom. Too bad I wasn't able to grasp her lessons in knitting and house cleaning as well.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:42 PM   #44
Sous Chef

My mom had a green thumb too. I got skipped over on that one too. She taught me how to crochet too but you know what? I haven't done it in years and the last time I picked up some yarn it was like everything she ever taught me just went right out of my head.
Mom was also big on BOGO. If there was a buy one get one free, she was buying it. Doesn't matter what it was, she said she'd find a use for it.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:38 PM   #45
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefkathleen View Post
Mom was also big on BOGO. If there was a buy one get one free, she was buying it. Doesn't matter what it was, she said she'd find a use for it.
That's too cute! . I had a friend that always bought toothpaste when it was on sale - I'm talking up to 6 tubes at a time! When she got married I helped move her and we had a whole packing box full of unused toothpaste tubes. We allowed her four and took the rest to a food bank!

Old 04-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #46
Sous Chef

Was she older LP? My mom was an older mom and she was raised in the depression. That's why we always thought she did stuff like that. She must have had 10 cases of Pepsi on her sun porch when she passed. We still laugh about that. 1 little lady and tons of soda.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #47
Assistant Cook

Dried beans made into bean soup was a staple,usually with fried potatoes /onions on the side.Lots of soups,potato,chili & beef veggie .Mom cooked everything from scratch, made her own noodles & we had chicken most every Sunday.Monday was chicken/noodle soup.We had beenie weenie (baked beans with hot dogs) & loved it.Creamed fresh peas with new potatoes,pot roast when on sale.She used canned milk on cereal & in mashed potatoes & all creamed dishes.
Salad fixings were had only in summer,fresh from Grma's garden.There wasn't room for storing canned food in our house.
As Dad used to say "We never had much money,but we had 4 kids & we all ate good"
Old 06-04-2009, 11:38 PM   #48
Master Chef

Seeing the posts about overstocking, I just spent the weekend with my in-laws (in their 80's) getting them ready to move to an apartment near my brother-in-law. In the process, I came across about 15 boxes of cereal unopened. They already had about 6 boxes opened. Also had 10 cans of peaches. They are both children of the Depression too and save everything! It was amazing the stuff we came across in the basement.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #49
Assistant Cook

I come from a large family, with 8 kids. My dad was a school teacher, and my mom didn't work outside the home when we were little. Now that I have a family of my own, I am amazed how she managed to feed us on so little money. It wasn't until recently, when I was going thru an old amish cookbook, that I realized most of the food we ate was amish/mennonite in origin. We live in Pennsylvania, where there is a large amish community. My grandparents grew up in that area, and I guess they learned to cook the same way.
To make the food last, my mom used to put a lot of meats in a cream sauce, which I hated,,,and still do, lol. Creamed chipped beef, creamed ground beef, and my about most hated dish ever, creamed hard boiled eggs. Most often they would be served over toast. She made eggs for dinner alot too, and spaghetti. Saturday was always soup...either vegetable or bean soup.
All 10 of us ate together. If you didn't like what was for dinner, that was just too bad. You ate it, or went without. I wish I had kept that up with my kids, lol.
Chrissy
Old 07-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #50
Sous Chef

Oh Chrissy! That reminds me of some friends of mine when I was growing up. There was 13 kids and then the parents. It AMAZED me the first time I went there for dinner. In our house mom would bake 1 chicken. Not there! It was more like 5, and my mom would boil a hand full of potatoes for mashing. There it was a 10 or 20# bag. (been so long I can't remember)
But it was the same as far as, if you don't like it, get a job and make your own or eat out.lol I was completely wiped out on the amount of gallons of milk they went through.