"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 07-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #61
Sous Chef

Claire and others -

Thanks for sharing your stories. I don't have many of my own as frankly, Dad was out of my life very early, and Mom to make ends meet, waitressed 16 hour days. I do remember plenty of times being woke up when she'd get home after 11pm, and since I hadn't gone to bed, sharing a piece of leftover pizza or something from her workplace with me.

That's why I started cooking when I was eight. If I wanted something other than PB& J's, I'd have to make it myself. I'd look in the fridge, see what was there, than scan through the Betty Crocker (everybody had one) cook book for whatever simple casserole, or sandwich, burger or other things to make.You can assume the only balanced meal I had was at school (back when we had real cafeterias that made the daily bread, and cooked home style meals every day).

Even if things were tough, I had a lot of happy memories. As little amount of time I could spend with her, I was moms baby, and knew it. I also never went hungry. sometimes had things I didn't like (like Carnation instant milk). But I never want hungry.

Anyway, wanted to say thanks for the stories in this thread.

Bob

Old 07-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #62
Sous Chef

I love them too. Even though it shows we weren't all spoiled kids and that we had some rough times. We never really knew it. Our parents made sure we ate and were secure in our lives. Kids today can have their X-Boxes, cell phones, MP3s and $50.00 a week allowances to eat whatever whenever but I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #63
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Pretty much add rice and beans to everything. :)
Old 07-04-2009, 07:18 AM   #64
Master Chef

I know I'm suffering from diarhea of the keyboard, but can't resist one more. When I was young we never lived anywhere where there was pizza -- no delivery, no pizza parlors, not even frozen ones. When my parents "discovered" pizza (on a trip somewhere), Mom found Chef-Boy-Ar-Di and Appian way in the box. It was a huge treat, and a fun meal as a family project to make. The boxed pizzas came with a can of sauce and a package of dry parmesan (the only kind of parmesan that existed in our lives). To dress it up we'd put on sliced hot dogs and strips of American cheese. When Dad made Master Sergeant (and there was one more of us then), we could afford cans of mushrooms and hard salami or pepperoni. We felt like we were rich with these additions.

Yes, everyone is right. Since everyone we knew lived the same way we did, we didn't feel poor, and mom was (is) a great cook. My best girlfriends moms were all French war brides; many of my mother's friends were German or Japanese war brides, so there was a lot of variety and mom learned to cook from all of them, and the meals when I went on sleepovers or we visited could be unusual (coq au vin, rabbit, suki yaki). they were always inexpensive-to-make meals, but with the ethnic twist.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #65
Sous Chef

That is waaay cool. Learning to cook things from the other war brides. What a great experience.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #66
Assistant Cook

This sounds gross but it is amazing. We would have all of the ingredients for taco salad but there would be a little change. We would have a bag of Doritos Nacho Cheese and we would put all of the ingredients in out individual bag and eat it out of the bag.. It was amazing for camping. We called it "taco in a bag" pretty good if you ask me
Old 07-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #67
Sous Chef

Good idea! No clean up either.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:33 PM   #68
Senior Cook

Not my parents, but me as a parent during lean times - beans, rice, inexpensive vegetables, spices (you know, the ones with the rusty lids hiding at the back of the cabinet), and some creativity.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #69
Assistant Cook

Rice was the great budget stretcher in our home. We bought it in 25-pound bags. Of course my mom was Japanese, which meant we ate rice with everything. Meatloaf and rice. Fried chicken and rice. Vegetable soup and rice. And one of my favorite meals: pepperoni with rice and ketchup (still one of my guilty pleasures – my wife quit rolling her eyes at this meal about twenty years ago, though she has never shared it). To this day I want rice with my Thanksgiving turkey.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #70
Sous Chef

pepperoni, rice and ketchup? LOL I'm with your wife. Although I would taste it.