What is your limit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For our family of five (DH, myself, 6yr old son, 4yr old son and 2yr old son) we spend $150 per week on food. This amount includes groceries, toiletries, eating out (which we do not do very often). My husband and I do go on a date night every other week which is budgeted separately than the grocery money even though we typically dine out.

To tell you honestly, I don't keep track. When it comes to food, I buy whatever I want. If somethings are on sale, I will buy a bunch of it, store it or freeze it. I have developed a well stocked larder which enables me to cook whatever, whenever. I may spend lots one week, and barely anything the next. I also love good/gourmet food, so cost is no concern. We watch what we spend on many other things, like entertainment, I drive old vehicles, buy many things used, l live in an old house. Rarely eat out. I work two jobs, so food expense is one area that I don't worry about.

all i know is mine is going up each month. this month i really cut my order. as a result i am running out of everything. won't do that again. i don't eat out, don't spend money on movies etc. so to the detriment of my figure food is the thing.

There are 2 adults & a 12 year old girl. We spend around $100. a week. We eat out around 3 times a week too.

In the winter, it is about $50/week for 2 adults and 5 dogs (they eat raw). The dogs eat more meat than we do! We mostly buy fruit, cheese, milk, butter, meat. Because of the prolific gardens, we don't buy many veggies in the winter, and none once the gardens start producing. In the summer, we spent maybe $25-40 on groceries and toiletries per week. I have a lot more on gas each week than I do food, and I eat more than I drive (and I probably eat better than I drive <g>).

I can say I'm honestly surprised by some of these responses! I have to say location must play into it somehow.

I shop for just myself, if I put together a list I could easily spend about $60, and that's without even buying everything I'd like to!! I've recently started clipping coupons and always checking out the sales. I need to go shopping sometime this week. I'm hoping to spend less than $60, but it probably won't be very promising. I need to get a Sam's Club card.

Don't think I can compare really, live in Africa and my budget is about P1000 per week, think it might be close to $100. Not sure what the exchange is at the moment.

Just one adult eater here, plus 2 cats and a dog. I spend around $250 a month. I usually make a list; however, it seems I can't get out of the store for less than $20, even if milk was the only thing on my list. Shopping separately for produce at the organic farmer's stand is expensive, but at the same time I've cut down on buying red meat.

We generally spend around $500 a month for 4 people. I'm not sure how because we only buy the basics and rarely eat out. I do count diapers, toiletries, etc in our monthly budget as well.

until the recent spike in grocery prices my food bill was running about $250 per month. it is now $70 week--$300 per month. this is despite using coupons more than ever before, and sticking strictly to my carefully written shopping lists. what are other people doing to keep costs down? i'm hoping the food saver i'm buying will be a help. i know this sounds nuts, but i have never been inside a walmart. are their food prices much lower than supermarkets like harris teeter?

Harris Teeter is one of the higher priced grocery stores out there.

Since I don't buy a lot of processed junk, I don't find WalMart to be any cheaper for me. The items that I buy are pretty much the same price at WalMart as they are just about everywhere else. I was looking at some boneless skinless chicken at Walmart, it was at and everyday price of like $1.97 per pound, it looked really bad then I read the package and saw that it was injected with lots of stuff that isn't usually in chicken. They also do not have meat cutters at Walmart, all of their meat comes in prepackaged and a guy in a white jacket puts it out, LOL. There might be some bargains to be found there but you really need to know what the prices of things should be to get them.

I know what the prices (unit prices) are of most things I buy, so I can easily tell when something is a good deal.

Harris Teeter has gotten their staple items priced right over the last year, the only things I find there that are very overpriced are deli-bakery, and specialty and gourmet items.

Once you get your food saver, keep an eye on ads and get meats when they are a really good deal, and fill your freezer. I haven't paid more that $2 lb. for boneless skinless chicken or pork loin in years. I am a strategic shopper, I have a pantry and freezer full of good quality foods that I get at great prices.

Harris Teeter is one of the higher priced grocery stores out there.

Since I don't buy a lot of processed junk, I don't find WalMart to be any cheaper for me. The items that I buy are pretty much the same price at WalMart as they are just about everywhere else. I was looking at some boneless skinless chicken at Walmart, it was at and everyday price of like $1.97 per pound, it looked really bad then I read the package and saw that it was injected with lots of stuff that isn't usually in chicken. They also do not have meat cutters at Walmart, all of their meat comes in prepackaged and a guy in a white jacket puts it out, LOL. There might be some bargains to be found there but you really need to know what the prices of things should be to get them.

I know what the prices (unit prices) are of most things I buy, so I can easily tell when something is a good deal.

Harris Teeter has gotten their staple items priced right over the last year, the only things I find there that are very overpriced are deli-bakery, and specialty and gourmet items.

Once you get your food saver, keep an eye on ads and get meats when they are a really good deal, and fill your freezer. I haven't paid more that $2 lb. for boneless skinless chicken or pork loin in years. I am a strategic shopper, I have a pantry and freezer full of good quality foods that I get at great prices.
thank you for all your helpful information. it's good to know that i need not start shopping at walmart. i buy and consume very little processed food,, and virtually no junk food either. but prices on staple foods have gone up--bread, eggs, milk, cheese--so it's getting harder to finesse that bottom line. i am very savvy about food prices and can easily spot deals wherever i am shopping. however, my savings dollars usually go straight for that french baguette, specialty cheeses, veal chops, etc.--but that i can live with. in fact, that's what i live for--after all, i am a foodie.... :)

Last edited:
You might want to look at bread, eggs, milk, and cheese at Walmart. Also, paper towels and t.p. Prices are quite a bit cheaper for those. Also, flour, sugar, etc.

On my last trip through walmart, I didn't see a big difference in those items, maybe it's regional.

I do shop at Aldi a couple times a month for baking supplies, cheese etc. They have great prices on those, especially during the holidays.

Paper products, cleaning products, and health and beauty are almost always a bad deal in a grocery store, much better off going to Walmart, Target or a club store for those.

bakechef said:
Paper products, cleaning products, and health and beauty are almost always a bad deal in a grocery store, much better off going to Walmart, Target or a club store for those.

I second that babe!

does anybody make and freeze their own "cold cuts"? i never have, myself, but i think when i get my food saver, i'd like to try slicing and freezing my own ham, pork, turkey breast, and beef for sandwiches, salads, etc. would that work?

Back
Top Bottom