"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes

Old 09-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yes, cake mixtures are affected. I messed up a couple of cakes before I got it figured out.

As for the tea...the altitude has nothing to do with it if the cabin is pressurized. In an unpressurized cabin the water boils at a lower temp, I would question more where they get their water.
Air pressure in an airplane in flight is not sea level air pressure. I have heard it's equal to about 5000 feet in altitude.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #32
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Nice to know, I figured they would do sea level or maybe the level they start at, easing off if they are going to a higher altitude.

Thanks, Andy!

Old 09-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #33
Executive Chef

I can make Irish oatmeal in my rice cooker, and I can make it while I am showering because I don't have to babysit the rice cooker. Like Ron Popeil says "Set it, and forget it!"
Old 09-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Nice to know, I figured they would do sea level or maybe the level they start at, easing off if they are going to a higher altitude.

Thanks, Andy!
The drop in pressure is why we have to pop our eardrums.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:04 AM   #35
Senior Cook

I made an apple cinnamon oatmeal the other day and it tasted AMAZING!!!! Found the recipe on pinterest

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Old 01-21-2014, 08:29 AM   #36
Master Chef

Pressure changes inside a pressurized aircraft. You may be flying at 30,000 feet, but the internal cabin pressure is that of about 7,000 feet altitude. You can feel the pressure gradually decrease from take off, at ground altitude, until you get to cruising altitude. It's why your ears pop. A scuba diver feels the same ear-popping as he/she descends, or ascends through the column of water.

When the plane begins its descent, the cabin pressure is increased gradually so that the inside pressure is the same as the outside pressure when the plane lands.

So yes, the pressure inside the cabin decreases as the plane climbs, to a level that maintains enough density to insure sufficient oxygen content for human survival, and still nto blow up the plane with too much pressure.

Water will boil at a lower temperature when the plane is at cruising altitude.

Even at the altitude of the Great Lakes, we need to add 11.2 pounds of pressure to get water to boil at the same temperature as it does at sea level. And our altitude is at 702 feet above sea level, not near the 7,000 foot pressure that is in the airplane cabin.

Just sos ya knows.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #37
Sous Chef

I make mine the same way as 40_Caliber, with water, only I prepare it before I go to bed and then heat it slowly for a few minutes in the morning. The soaking releases the starches and that is what makes it extra creamy. I take mine with a pinch of salt except on Christmas or New Years Day when one adds a little brown sugar, a tiny splash of cream and a drizzle of Whiskey.Then it becomes Oatmeal Royale and sets you up for the day ahead. Well, it works for me!( quite Scottish I think)

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote