"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes

Old 11-10-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Souped up Ramen Noodles - what do YOU add to make a whole meal (merged)

I like to grab a packet of oriental ramen noodles cook per the instructions and throw in some leftover chicken and or pork and or beef in and some soy sauce or teriyaki sauce and if I have any peppers or green onion I will add them too. After I serve I drizzle a little sesame oil. Great quick meal and good way to get rid of leftovers. Enjoy.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

There was a thread here not too long ago about ramen noodles. I'm going to have to find those and give em a try.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
Head Chef

Thanks for this one. I still had some leftover pork roast and veggies. I boiled up the noodles and drained, didn't use the flavor pack. I added some of the meat cubed up, diced the veggies and added the gravy to the pan and heated through.

Delicious.. pork stew with noodles.... very tasty!!!
Old 11-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Both dishes sound really good.

The thread can be located under "BUDGET FRIENDLY DISHES".
Old 11-12-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
Senior Cook

After reading the thread in "Budget Dishes", I was thinking about how I could use Ramen Noodles with other leftovers. I think what I'll try first is boiling some leftover rotisserie chicken pieces from the grocery, then de-bone and discard the bones, keeping the water/stock and meat pieces in the pot. Hoping the stock will pick up enough flavor so I don't need the seasoning packet. Add some cabbage slaw mix (its just shredded cabbage and carrots) and some chopped onion, cook a few minutes, add the ramen noodles to the pot and cook till done. Maybe if there are some mushrooms or leftover peas in the fridge, they could go in the pot too. Does this sound like a workable modification of plain ol' ramen?

thanks,
Jeri in Texas
Old 11-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobagirl View Post
After reading the thread in "Budget Dishes", I was thinking about how I could use Ramen Noodles with other leftovers. I think what I'll try first is boiling some leftover rotisserie chicken pieces from the grocery, then de-bone and discard the bones, keeping the water/stock and meat pieces in the pot. Hoping the stock will pick up enough flavor so I don't need the seasoning packet. Add some cabbage slaw mix (its just shredded cabbage and carrots) and some chopped onion, cook a few minutes, add the ramen noodles to the pot and cook till done. Maybe if there are some mushrooms or leftover peas in the fridge, they could go in the pot too. Does this sound like a workable modification of plain ol' ramen?

thanks,
Jeri in Texas
I would suggest just not using all the seasoning packet. I don't think boiling the rotisserie chicken is the key - I think making a stock from the bones, however, would work better. I would hate to see you ruin the rotisserie chicken by boiling it to death. Even if you use a bit of chicken base it would be better than ruining your chicken and making the stock can be time-consuming if done right - especially for a bowl or two of ramen noodles. I vote for chicken base or even a vegetable base as your flavoring agent. This Thanksgiving (I'm also assuming you are in the US, sorry, I didn't look) make a stock from your turkey and freeze 1 or 2 cup portion sizes for just this very thing!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:42 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

What do YOU put into instant noodles to make it into a whole meal?

I know its reallly bad for you... but a college student sometimes just doesn't have time to cook a gourmet meal.

So I was wondering... what do you put in addition to instant noodles.. to give it a fuller feeling? I usually put chopped up ham, some basil and bean sprouts.... but i feel you can add so much more to it...

anyone suggestions?
Old 11-13-2008, 07:47 PM   #8
Head Chef

frozen peas, diced chicken(you can get it already cooked), Cheese!!

Another quick cheap meal... box of Macaroni and cheese and a can of chili beans.. make the mac and cheese, stir in the beans... Add cooked hamburger if you have it.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:53 PM   #9
Senior Cook

thank you for the good advice! I can see where the chicken could get overcooked. I appreciate you reminding me of that! :) And yes, I was thinking that the stock would be a fast flavor boost but I agree with you that its a lot of work for a bowl of instant noodles. Thank you again, for putting it in perspective!
Old 11-13-2008, 09:10 PM   #10
Master Chef

What do you mean by "instant noodles"? Ramen noodles, microwave mac-n-cheese, other?