Asian Inspired Mushroom Essence Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I ate at a restaurant in Denver, about 15 years back, that served only soup, with an extensive salad bar. I was there with my eldest son, and his wife. My son insisted I try this broth soup; so I did. It was fabulous. On the way home, with the flavors still fresh n my mind, I asked to stop at a grocers to pick up some ingredients. I had to remake this wonderful soup. It was much easier than I thought it would be, and is a favorite. So, I share it with you.

As you will recognize from the ingredients, this soup is an umami bomb, and is what I would call an essence soup. It is a wonderful appetizer, and can also be altered into a hearty meal, gravy, or sauce, like for a good steak.

It is good both in cool, and hot weather. Enjoy.

Asian Mushroom Soup

Ingredients:
1 lb. white button mushrooms' washed and sliced
1 green onion, green parts sliced
2 cups water
1/4 cup Kikkoman Lite Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp. fresh, grated ginger

Combine all but green onion into a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Remove mushroom slices and set aside for other uses. Serve piping hot. Garnish with green onion slices. This soup is really good. I hope you try it.

Tip, other uses for this soup

Use this to thin a roux, making a very nice mushroom veloute.

Use as the basis for Chasseur, or Hunter's Sauce (see Espagnole daughter sauces). Add dried, wild mushroom to sauce.

Thicken with cornstarch slurry, and add butter to glaze steaks.

Add uncooked, unseasoned Ramen noodles to the broth, with the mushrooms added back in.

Seeeeya: Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom