Dolcetta anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Luca, I think most European Merlot leans this way. Some new world Merlot is what I would call "serious", but mostly it's made in a lighter style that is intended to drink young. I don't know if I've ever had 100% Italian Merlot. I usually see it blended in some of the "Super Toscano" wines. I'll have to look for that.

Pagadebit - that's quite funny. :)

Super Toscano??? What is this?

Yes, Pagadebit is really funny. The name comes from the fact that its grapes (Bombino bianco variety, one of the most ancient Italian varieties) are very sturdy, they withstand very well bad weather and other attacks, so in the past the farmers could invest time and money and be quite sure to get a sound profit, and so be able to pay their debts.

Super Toscano??? What is this?
Super Toscano (or Super Tuscans) are IGT wines from the Chianti region that do not adhere to the DOC rules regarding allowed grape varieties. Some do not contain any Sangiovese. Many are Bordeaux-type blends dominated by Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.

A good description here from Wine Spectator's Dr. Vinny:
What is the definition of a

Bombino Bianco... little white bomb?

Last edited:
Super Toscano (or Super Tuscans) are IGT wines from the Chianti region that do not adhere to the DOC rules regarding allowed grape varieties. Some do not contain any Sangiovese. Many are Bordeaux-type blends dominated by Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.

A good description here from Wine Spectator's Dr. Vinny:
What is the definition of a

Thanks!

Bombino Bianco... little white bomb?

Not exactly. In Italian, bomba (bomb) is a feminine noun, so in this case it should be "bombina". From what I found, I understand that the name comes from the shape of the grape, which is "bombata", rounded, from which stems "bombino", a noun which has no other meaning in Italian. And yes, "bianco" is right (because it also exists a Bombino nero).

Dolcetto Tasting & Recommendations

The Vet and I have had the chance to have a tasting over in Gargano, Puglia of some lovely Dolcetto DOC reds.

Here are the names of the tasted:

1. Luigi Einaudi - Dogliani Vigna Tecc
Grape: 100% Dolcetto
Notes: fig, black berry and black cherry

2. Luciano Sandrone - Dolcetto d´Alba
Notes. boysenberry and cassis notes

3. Schiavenza - Dolcetto d´Alba
Notes: black berry

Other Piemonte Dolcetto producers of fine Reds include;

Pecchenino - Dogliani Bricco Botti
Bruno Porro
Bruno Giacasa