"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar

Old 01-31-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Wine making

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
I picked up the book, Home Winemaking Step-by-Step by Jon Iverson at a winery last year while on vacation. I eager read it, suffered sticker shock, and the book is now quietly occupying space on my book shelf.
Well, over the holidays the topic of wine making came up and a couple relatives said that they make wine, and it's not really that difficult. Has anyone done it? Can you make good wine yourself? Any tips or suggestions?

I saw an ad yesterday on PBS Create for a complete wine kit for $65. I'm tempted, but it sounds too good to be true.

TIA

Old 01-31-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Mr. Greenjeans

Do NOT buy the kits!!! They are overpriced, poor quality, crap. Do an internet search in your area for wine making supplies or brewing supplies. Make a visit to the store and ask advice. Most of the store owners are wine or beer makers themselves and will gladly spend some time with you and help you pick stuff out. They will not try to pull the wool over your eyes as they want you to become a long term customer.

Also, start saving bottles! Tell your friends to as well!

Old 01-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
Cook

I don't know what area of the country you are in, but while I was in a little Pennsylvania town just north of Morgantown, WV, they had a foil package of red or white wine makings. Just add 5lb of sugar, put it in a gallon container, arrange someway for the expansion to come out(1/4 in plastic hose) and put it in a closet(dark place) for two weeks. My white wine was "wino" approved by the local town drunk. Instead of giving him a couple of bucks, I gave him a glass of this stuff. Must have been 20 proof! Haven't seen the makings in the stores here, but I haven't been looking......I definitely recommend the wine making/beer making stores.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
Do NOT buy the kits!!! They are overpriced, poor quality, crap.
Thanks, I knew that but needed someone to remind me. I looked at their website, said "no way" and shut down my computer. I went about my business and started to have doubts.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
Head Chef

I did it a few years ago. Had an over abundance of kiwi's, so made kiwi wine. Went to a wine and beer store and got great info and tips ( forgot them all, but were very helpful at the time). It was a great experience. Kids had a lot of fun bottling wine. Not sure how well it tastes, since i really dont like wine. But, its fine to cook with .
Old 02-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
Sous Chef

I found a home brewing shop in a nearby town that also does wine making. They offer a package deal on a basic set of equipment. It's not prepackaged, they just assemble the pieces for you, and you get a discount versus buying everything a la carte.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
Mr. Greenjeans

Excellent! Did you ask plenty of questions?
Old 02-10-2010, 06:36 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Excellent! Did you ask plenty of questions?
Definitely.

I checked out their website last week and must say I didn't have high hopes. I went down on Saturday to scope the place out and was pleasantly surprised. I went back on Monday night and made my purchase.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
Mr. Greenjeans

They all seem to be better brewers than webmasters!
Old 02-11-2010, 06:41 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Also, start saving bottles! Tell your friends to as well!
You got that right. A 5 gallon batch makes 29 bottles. 29

Unfortunately, my only wine-drinking friend will be starting his first batch any day, so no luck there. Maybe I need to start lurking around the recycling center. Would begging for empty wine bottles be considered panhandling?

On the bright side, this will prevent me from making the beginner's mistake of bottling too soon (it will take me months just to get enough bottles).