"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 03-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I don't know either, Babe, except at first, for me, his lisp bothered me. However, he is the real deal -- a real chef and teacher, who gives back to the community a lot (as opposed to Alton Brown, whom so many seem to "adore," who is in actuality an actor who adopted cooking for his schtick to get a tv show).
True, but his aim was to improve the quality of cooking shows. And he did attend the New England Culinary Institute.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
True, but his aim was to improve the quality of cooking shows. And he did attend the New England Culinary Institute.
That was not his aim. His aim was to get a cooking show. He was an out of work actor. And it is a matter of opinion whether or not he "improved" the quality of any cooking shows, incuding his own.....

Old 03-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
And it is a matter of opinion whether or not he "improved" the quality of any cooking shows, incuding his own.....
True, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:09 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Billdolfski Send a message via AIM to Billdolfski Send a message via MSN to Billdolfski Send a message via Yahoo to Billdolfski
Quote:
I did see a trailer for the show, and --- well, his first focus is on Huntington, W. VA, a very blue collar town in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Mmmmm, how shall I say this? They are particularly touchy about their obesity problems.
Ha! That's what they are calling it? It was built beside the Ohio river, there isn't anything remotely close to a mountain anywhere near Huntington. Blue collar would have been a better description decades ago, it's more of a college town than anything now.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Jamie's Food Revolution

I was surprised when the six-year-old students didn't recognize any vegetables. Their teacher then taught them to recognize veggies. Good for her. That's a start.

Those elementary school cafeteria ladies were sure set in their ways.

It's a real shame that our public schools don't provide nutritious meals for the students. Nutrition needs to be taught in class to all grade levels.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sutton View Post
I was surprised when the six-year-old students didn't recognize any vegetables.
I was only half surprised that the children couldn't identify vegetables. I find that frequently the cashier at the grocery store has to ask me "What is this?" when she rings up my produce. If it's packaged and barcoded, they do fine, but if the veggies are loose, half of them get stuck!
Old 03-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #17
Master Chef

I like Jamie, always have, but I saw him yesterday on Oprah and I wish he would clean up, for pete sake!! He's visually "dirty" to me and that's sure not appetizing for anyone. Uck......that hair!!
That said, I think he's right on the mark with this Food Revolution thing, and wish him, not to mention us, the best of luck.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #18
Sous Chef

I actually wasn't surprised at all about the kids not knowing their vegetables.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
I was only half surprised that the children couldn't identify vegetables. I find that frequently the cashier at the grocery store has to ask me "What is this?" when she rings up my produce. If it's packaged and barcoded, they do fine, but if the veggies are loose, half of them get stuck!
I love it when the checker asks what is this and what do ou do with it. Makes me want to say mop the floor I don't but the urge is there. I just tell them how I plan to fix it and usually get wither a oh that sounds good or a blank stare...
kadesma
Old 03-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I like Jamie, always have, but I saw him yesterday on Oprah and I wish he would clean up, for pete sake!! He's visually "dirty" to me and that's sure not appetizing for anyone. Uck......that hair!!
That said, I think he's right on the mark with this Food Revolution thing, and wish him, not to mention us, the best of luck.
have always disliked him. now you have told me why. you are right. he is dirty and seems to be proud of it. if he wants his message to get out , he needs to be seen in a better light. first impressions do matter.