Justin Wilson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol, yeah, some actually made it into the dish from that gallon jug of wine he had behind his console.

he wad the first person i ever saw deep fry a turkey, and the first i ever saw have the fryer overflow. :)

Last edited:
Loved watching Justin Wilson, he was my inspiration for cooking and creating on my own!!! Before Justin I had about a two week repertoire.

:LOL: Guarrannttee!

Loved him and Graham Kerr, the Galloping Gourmet.

I remember them all, and so very fondly! The are the foodieTV pioneers. I'd also like to give a shout out to Marcia Adams. "Cooking from Quilt Country" is one of the most beautiful cookbooks I own (and I have lots.) A gentle soul from a different time and place.

"A little onyon." "Pot liquor". We just had a crawfish etouffee from one of his books. He cooked a bit with Sauternes wine and told some great stories. I got in trouble for skipping school to watch him, Graham and Julia. Did I mention that was elementry school.:LOL:

Last edited:
Justin Wilson was one of my first inspirations for learning to cook. I loved his stories and still use his recipes and approaches to cooking.
(Mustering my best cajun accent): "Why am I making nectarine pie?... I like nectarines"

I wish there were guys like him still on the Cooking channels. Of course, he would have to fix his sanitary habits (I also remember he wasn't huge on washing his hands).

I wish there were guys like him still on the Cooking channels.
Not to be contrary, but I would argue that many of the people (not all "guys") on the cooking channels today are a lot like Justin Wilson. Wilson wasn't a chef by trade. He began as a safety engineer, and then became an comedian, Cajun storyteller, and musician. Unlike contemporaries James Beard, Julia Child, and Jacque Pepin, who were classically trained chefs, Wilson could be better described as a "cooking personality". In that sense, he wasn't much different than Rachael Ray, Nadia G, Guy Fieri, or Paula Deen - none of whom are trained chefs.

Justin has some really funny records as well as entertaining cookbooks. Marcia Adams filmed near here at BGSU, so she was a must see. I enjoyed all the old cooking shows.

I credit some of my love for cooking to Justin. I liked the show where he deep fried a half chicken. Like you would a turkey. He called it a "pullet".
To this day i use the word and people look at me strangely.

And his wine at the table was always a cheap brand. Just the way us drinkers like it. More is better!.......LOL

JW was one of the guys I liked to watch when I was learning to cook. I never got the impression he was a Made for TV creation like RR, Paula and Guy.

Not to be contrary, but I would argue that many of the people (not all "guys") on the cooking channels today are a lot like Justin Wilson. Wilson wasn't a chef by trade. He began as a safety engineer, and then became an comedian, Cajun storyteller, and musician. Unlike contemporaries James Beard, Julia Child, and Jacque Pepin, who were classically trained chefs, Wilson could be better described as a "cooking personality". In that sense, he wasn't much different than Rachael Ray, Nadia G, Guy Fieri, or Paula Deen - none of whom are trained chefs.

I'd have to agree with Steve. I really never took him seriously, entertaining yes, but an oddity at best. jmo.

I credit some of my love for cooking to Justin. I liked the show where he deep fried a half chicken. Like you would a turkey. He called it a "pullet".
To this day i use the word and people look at me strangely.

If you've never heard the word 'pullet' then you are young or never raised chickens. Or visited an old fashioned farm.
A pullet is a young hen, usually under one year old or until they start laying eggs.

Take it from me-- a pullet is REALLY fast! I've tried chasing down some that escaped the yard and those suckers are FAST!!

Cool chicken cartoon. | The Frog Factory

Back
Top Bottom