"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 08-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #71
Master Chef

Chiffonade - what you know to be true & what actually IS true are two absolutely & completely different animals.

Owning/operating a restaurant & having a father who worked in a dairy does not make you the be-all & end-all of the truth behind the commercial food production/supermarket trade. Nor are the stories your "vendors" told you (probably laughing behind their hands) etched in stone.

None of these supposed "facts" you are touting have any truth to them, & all you are doing is frightening people away from perfectly safe products.

(Oh - & you definitely ain't no Anthony Bourdain, so I wouldn't worry much about that - lol!)

Old 08-09-2009, 05:16 PM   #72
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
Sometimes the "behind the scenes" stuff is ugly. There's nothing we can do about that. I didn't make it up. I shared it.

The additional benefit to buying things like whole mushrooms is that you have choices of what you can do with them. If I buy a box of shrooms at Costco, I don't know that I want to cook them all as slices. In certain dishes they're quartered, in some they're stuffed and I've even been known to do a duxelles from time to time.

It's no big deal. If you like to buy sliced mushrooms, by all means, continue to do so. I like to know that it was my knife that exposed the mushroom interior and I just made the freshest possible cut. Vegetables begin to wilt and dry immediately upon being cut. Anyone who reads what I posted earlier is welcome to interpret or discard it as they see fit. It's just good to know such things.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #73
Chief Eating Officer

It is also good to know that your experiences do not speak for others and while you may find pre-cut veggies to be inferior that does not mean that what others are buying is the same and that just because you claim that the mushrooms you have at your store that are pre-cut are made from rotting mushrooms that does not mean that pre-cut mushrooms at someone elses store are the same.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #74
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
Look, I don't want to get in the gutter over this. Buy what you like and happy cooking. I think I've navigated through this about as diplomatically as I can. As far as not being "Anthony Bordain" he's no me either.

Cook your sliced mushrooms. Be happy.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #75
Sous Chef

IIRC Food Lion went out of business because of doing what chiffonade says is industry standard.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #76
Chief Eating Officer

That would lead some to believe that if it put a store out of business that others would not follow suit unless they wanted to suffer the same fate.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #77
Head Chef

wow, ego!
I just came from the grocery store and the sliced mushrooms looked just as fresh as the whole mushrooms. They were packaged by the same company, the grocery store didn't slice them. The labor that would be required to cut rotten parts off, repackage, re-stock is just not worth it.
Maybe YOUR grocery and YOUR dad's dairy were unethical. It doesn't mean everybody's is. I certainly don't trust anything you have to say after this particular exchange.
(I can just see it, foot stomping, "because I said so!")

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #78
Sous Chef

Quote:
That would lead some to believe that if it put a store out of business that others would not follow suit unless they wanted to suffer the same fate.
If I remember right the beginning of the end for them came when someone found out, or told on them, for turning their hamburger. When what was showing on the outside started to look a little long in the tooth, they turned it over and refreshed it with a little bit of younger and fresher then repackaged it as new. I think it was also found out that they were doing some other unethical things as well.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:50 PM   #79
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefkathleen View Post
IIRC Food Lion went out of business because of doing what chiffonade says is industry standard.
NOT TRUE. Get your facts straight Chefkathleen - Food Lion most decidedly did NOT go out of business at any time by "doing what Chiffonade says is industry standard". Where the heck are you two people getting this totally idiotic nonsense from???? Does anyone bother to check facts these days, or do you just type whatever comes into your heads??? And please don't tell me you know this because you owned/operated a restaurant & your father worked for a dairy - lol!!!

Back in 1994-95, several branches of the Food Lion grocery chain were charged with 1) not promptly removing expired meat products from the shelves, & 2) doctoring labels of expired meat products. It was quite the scandal around here, & the branches & personnel in question were publicized & penalized & Food Lion definitely took a hit, but they did NOT go out of business or even temporarily close down. I can definitively attest to that as I currently have FOUR Food Lions in my immediate area - 2 regular Food Lions & 2 Blooms, which is Food Lion's new upscale store.

I can only hope that the folks who read DC make the effort to do their own research before taking anything anyone states here as fact as the real deal. And I'm certainly not excluding anything I say either.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #80
Certified Pretend Chef

First of all, I have eyes and a brain. I can look at vegetables and tell if they are fresh or rotten, regardless of whether or not they are sliced.

"Experts" used to tell you to always buy from the bulk mushroom bin rather than buying prepackaged (whole) mushrooms because you could pick and choose the best ones. However, I have often seen that the pre-packaged mushrooms are fresher, so I buy those. I also believe I can tell a fresh mushroom from a rotten one whether it's sliced or whole.

If old milk is returned to the dairy and chocolate is added, it's still old milk and it's gonna taste and smell bad.

Bottom line is supermarkets bend over backwards to make sure the customer is happy. They take back and give refunds or replacements for food you complain about no questions asked where we shop.

By the way, I don't believe the butter makers make salted butter to use up spoiled cream.