"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media
Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2012, 07:07 AM   #411
Head Chef
I like Jamie Oliver, Raymond Blanc, Nigella Lawson, Barefoot Contessa (soooo soothing to watch), and Delia Smith - although she, like Nigella, is a cook not a trained chef. I also like the Hairy Bikers, Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall, Valentine Warner. I love so many, cookery progs are my idea of heaven.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #412
Chef Extraordinaire
For me, it would be Jamie Oliver!

He keeps it simple, yet delicious and I love the rustic feel and look to all his dishes

All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Old 06-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #413
Executive Chef
Jacques Pepin. Good recipes and good and thorough explanations.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #414
Master Chef
Julia Child.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
Old 07-01-2012, 03:05 AM   #415
Executive Chef
marco pierre white because he was the youngest british chef to gain 3 michelin stars,he trained chefs like gordon ramsay & heston blumenthal,he hates ramsay & handed back his stars because"he was tired of being judged by people with less ability than himself".ramsay is an ar*eh*le & michelin is a load of b*llocks imo so mpw is ok in my book.
other favs are raymond blanc,michel roux junior,monica galetti,tom kerridge,angela hartnett & nigel slater.
no list would be complete without keith floyd....sadly missed
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:40 AM   #416
Executive Chef
The Then & Now Approach Across The World

Buon Giorno,

Firstly, since I spend my professional time in the Madrid Capital and we have our home in Puglia, Italia, I shall make a mini list via country.

Spain: Karlos Arguiñano ( Ferrán Adriá does not have a t.v. programme ), José Andrés, and Joan Roca ( he does not have a t.v. programme )

The U.K. : Jaime Oliver ( his take on the Mediterranean Cuisines is marvelous )

The USA : Mario Batali and José Andrés

* We would like to have lunch in Chicago at Grant Achatz´s ... and Tom Keller´s French Laundry ...

Greece: Christoforos Peskias, and Lefetris Lazarou ; I am uncertain if they have t.v. programmes, however, both are restaurateurs

Italia: Cracco ( Restaurateur ) and Flavio, owner of Gambero Rossi

Have a Lovely July 4th and Canada Day 1st,

Ciao. Margi.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #417
Head Chef
Michael Symon is my top choice. There are several who I like, but he seems to be able to handle just about anything that's thrown at him with a creative flair. He isn't locked in to a single cooking style.

Geoffrey Zakarian comes close, but seems to be more rigid in his technique, not as willing to experiment.

Much as I love Bobby Flay and his grilling shows, he seems to be less well rounded as a chef.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #418
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks
I really enjoy the prep work because it's almost like some form of mediation for me. Chop, chop, chop. Dice, dice, dice. Slice, slice, slice. Place in bowls for mise en place. I find it very calming that it is so often mindless. When you start putting heat on things there's a schedule to meet, a timetable, and if you miss a beat you could spoil the meal or at least make something flawed. The final cooking is naturally a more tense time.
I'm the opposite. Though, I do like prepping, I love the organized chaos of the kitchen. A chef is certainly a masochist. I love the blood, the sweat, it makes me feel alive.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #419
Assistant Cook
I have Dish Network’s basic programing and not a lot of those extras but part of my basic programming is Food Network. This month they gave me for free “The cooking Channel” which I think I like even better but it will expire this week (sigh).
One of my new favorite shows is “Extra Virgin” with Debi and Gabriele. They are a hoot and their recipes mostly Tuscanized as Gabriela is from Italy. Love his accent. They love to use fresh local ingredients which I admire.

I have watched most of the chefs at one time or another but some of my favorites are:
Barefoot Contessa (Ina Garten). She is calm and I like calm… She doesn’t have to talk constantly unlike Sunny Anderson on her “ Cooking for Real” show. It drives me nuts! Be quiet already!

I love Michael Symon, Tyler Florence, Kelsey’s Essentials, Jamie Deen, Bobbi Deen, (Paula Deen is a lovely person however her recipes are too fattening....too much butter) so I don't watch her anymore.

The programming has changed a lot and I used to like Ellie Krieger who is a nutritionalist and prepares healthy recipes. She is also calm. Have I mentioned already.. I like Calm? I don’t think she has a show anymore.

For me cooking is therapeutic so I stay away from those competition shows where they are racing against a clock. It too hectic for me and only raises my blood pressure. Some people love that but its just not for me.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #420
Chef Extraordinaire
I really like Gordon Ramsay!

Years ago I didn't watch him much as I had heard bad things about him, but he really is quite a nice and intelligent man

All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Closed Thread