"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media
Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #41
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerodell View Post
What do people think about Anthony Bourdain, I know he is one of my idlols, we saw him speak and he really knows his stuff, and his passion for food and travel is amazing. I would love for him to cook for me and talk to him
We we're already warned about bashing folks so I won't go into specifics...

I just think there is something fundamentally wrong with him bashing Rachael Ray for endorsing Dunkin Donuts as "crack for kids", when he himself endorses the use of heroin, actual heroin...

Old 01-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Paula... just because she cooks like I do and I know Paul would love her cooking too.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:44 PM   #43
Master Chef

Since I don't have foodnetwork , I watch cooking shows on PBS on Saturdays. My votes are for Lidia Bastianich and Mary Ann Eposito , both Italian cooks.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #44
Assistant Cook

guys you won't be talking or partying with whoever you choose ! lol

they will do the cooking for you only, let's say you don't even get to meet your chosen celebrity chef, they just cook the meal for you behind closed doors.

that's why i wanted to try separate personalities, looks etc.

really enjoying reading the replies people, thanks heaps. I have really got into cooking shows in a bit way the last few months :) so i'm trying to suss out their real credentials.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots View Post
I would party with Tony Bourdain in a hot minute - he is COOL! I love his show.

i think he is arrogrant. and he over plays the bad boy.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #46
Senior Cook

I like Jacques Pepin and Julia Child. I have always liked Jamie Oliver. My favorite would be Kylie Kwong from Australia, who used to be on Discovery Home. She introduced me to a lot of new ingredients that I keep in my pantry. She is a great chef.

Daisy Martinez, stated off with PBS. I have been using her recipe for Sofrito
for the last two years. I make large batches and keep it in freezer bags.

I like Anne Burrell, too. I get lots of tips from her. I want to turn out restaurant quality food in my kitchen, so I need to learn as much as I can.

I love Lidia Bastianich and her Mother. Good unpretentious food.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #47
Sous Chef

I would vote Jamie Oliver, and The two hairy bikers. I would not go for Anthony Worrel Thompson, we had a meal at his restaurant Notting Grill in London, the lights were dimmed & we couldn't see the huge amount of fat on the pork, (which is home reared). My friend was ill on the way home!
Les
Old 01-18-2009, 05:50 PM   #48
Head Chef

I'm old.

I live in the past.

I vote for Julia Child and James Beard.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #49
Head Chef

I think I would love to have Marcel Desaulniers or his pastry chef make me a special chocolate dessert.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #50
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpack View Post
guys you won't be talking or partying with whoever you choose ! lol

they will do the cooking for you only, let's say you don't even get to meet your chosen celebrity chef, they just cook the meal for you behind closed doors.

that's why i wanted to try separate personalities, looks etc.

really enjoying reading the replies people, thanks heaps. I have really got into cooking shows in a bit way the last few months :) so i'm trying to suss out their real credentials.
You have created a monster. Trying to separate talent and personality with pure objectivity is impossible (although there are certainly people here who will say they can do it). Each celebrity chef has their own unique talents, and part of their success is in their personality. I'm sure any one of them could prepare a meal that would be delicious, but if you don't click with their personality it's not going to be received as well as if it came from your favorite personality. I married my wife because of her personality, not because she was a hard worker and a good cook (I really married her because she was the first one to say YES!). We gravitate toward some folks and retreat from others for many reasons, but primarily because we like their personality. I know a couple of the celebrities who I wouldn't let in through the garage door, much less let them cook for me. I'm sure they would make a good meal, but I don't click with them.

When you find the chef who tickles both your palette and personality, you will have a favorite.