Which Celebrity TV Chef is actually the BEST CHEF?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peterpack

Assistant Cook
So ISOLATING COOKING ABILITIES ONLY, forget about who you like, who you think is good looking, their tv persona, whether you like the format of their tv show etc, who is actually the best chef out of all the celebrity TV chefs ? (Gordon Ramsay, all the Iron Chefs on Iron Chef America, Jaime Oliver, the Masterchef judges etc etc). Can be a TV cooking personality from any tv show anywhere in the world.

Put it this way, who would you want to cook for you if you were having an important Anniversary dinner ? Just cook for you behind closed doors. You won't get to meet them :)

This is a very interesting question, and on any given day of the week I might give you a different answer! I have seen Bobby Flay and Tyler Florence demonstrations live on separate occasions, and several interviews with other chefs on various television spots, and most of them insist that Emeril is the real deal and can REALLY cook.

I'm going with Tyler (today). Now if I could have input with the menu, I'd love for Mario, Emeril, Bobby or Rocco to feed me all the other days of the week. Alton Brown or Guy Fieri would be a HOOT to share a table with tho, don't you think?

Who would YOU choose?

Batalli would make me happy, but if they were cooking for me in an important occassion. I would want Giada. She went to a french culinary institute and with her recipes inspired by the food her grandfather used to make in Italy, I would take it any day. Also for his ability and use of bacon, Iron chef Simon. And who wouldn't love a meal cooked by Neely's, they are a different type of cookin all togeather, but definately good at it. I like to get messy and eat ribs.

Oh my ... I almost posted that Giada's family recipes resonate but I'm pretty tired of her chest (and nope, not a prude)! Not a Neely fan either. Totally agree on Chef Symon, but my husband can't handle his quirky giggle. He has a new restaurant in Detroit and my brother lives in Westland. I have GOT to get there!

giada-enthusiasm.jpg

Her chest is one of my favorite parts!!! lol, but I definately agree about chef symon's laugh. It is weird that's for sure. And I don't like Sandra Lee's recipes or style really at all, but her story of success is amazing. If you havent read her book I really reccommend it. And I really would love Chef Bourdain to cook me a meal. Wow, he is awesome. I met him at an event he spoke at i our town and he is just a cool guy.

I would have to say ................................drumroll please!

The Neeleys. With the caveat that Ms. Neeley gets on my nerves, but I like the style of cooking.

Jamie Oliver probably as he would be a good laugh.
Even though his tongue is too big for his mouth...:ermm:

I don't watch many shows at all, but, Paula Dean has my vote. I like Emeril too, but that BAM is annoying!!

Giada gives me lots of meals I will actually cook. Mr Oliver has a passion for food that is hard to match. I just caught an episode of Daisy Martinez's Viva Daisy and I was right into her style but its too early to tell.

Boy oh boy. The way some of you describe these chefs, one could begin to believe they might be a lot like the rest of us. Some fat, some thin, some boisterous, some quiet, some wild, some reserved, some gorgeous, some plain, some welcoming, some off-putting... and here I thought they were all Foodgods, not ordinary people like we encounter everyday.

Oh, and if you got it, flaunt it. I think Giada is both a talented chef and blessed with other magnificent attributes. Eye-candy for old guys like me.:LOL:

Oh, and if you got it, flaunt it. I think Giada is both a talented chef and blessed with other magnificent attributes. Eye-candy for old guys like me.:LOL:

Indeed! Only problem with Giada is remembering what she's cooked!:blush:

Doesn't Gordon Ramsey have the most awards/Michelin Stars? I think my vote would be for him. He seems to be the most well rounded, as well.

Are we talking food network only? Because there are many more TV chefs than what we see on American TV. Emeril is really a joke... the mistakes he makes are so glaring, I'm almost embarrassed for him.

Of the celebrities I know... and I'm sure some don't know who he is... Rick Stein seems to be the best that I've seen. He's British. He really is about the food and not about the camera. I like Anthony Worrall Thompson, another Brit, in spite of his recent faux pas.

Strictly foodtv:
I think it depends upon what they are cooking just like anything else. Batali really knows Italian cooking and I believe is a super taster. Emeril really knows how to cook but doesn't really do much cooking on tv. Morimoto is a genius in his area of expertise. I don't think that one person fills the bill.

The sad thing about foodtv is they have gotten away from teaching folks how to cook with folks who really know how (despite how they look) to looking for attractive people who may or may not know how to cook but either sell themselves or a lifestyle idea. Then, there are the game shows and the factory shows. They have gotten away from their true purpose.

I really liked Sara Moulton because she actually taught me better knife skills. She was real. Things did not always turn out perfectly but she cooked mostly in real time. Imho, she is the heir of Julia Child--a women she prepped and worked for. I miss her a lot.

I miss David Rosengarten--an untrained cook but he had a passion for food and food history and his show was the precursor to Alton Brown. However, David's recipes worked and AB's sadly often do not.

The Barefoot Contessa makes very simple, easy, flavorful food. I can't think of anything that she does that couldn't be replicated by just about anyone who can follow a recipe.

The handsome male chefs that have been talked about here do not impress me with their cooking. They are beefcake to Giada's cheesecake. In fact, one of them made the saddest looking pie that I have ever seen.

I am sure that I am leaving people out--there are so many folks no longer on air.

Strictly foodtv:

The sad thing about foodtv is they have gotten away from teaching folks how to cook with folks who really know how (despite how they look) to looking for attractive people who may or may not know how to cook but either sell themselves or a lifestyle idea.

Amen!! Which is why I am not surprised their ratings are down, they didn't realize most people tune in for the cooking, not the scenery...

I miss David Rosengarten--an untrained cook but he had a passion for food and food history and his show was the precursor to Alton Brown. However, David's recipes worked and AB's sadly often do not.

I miss him too! And while I do like AB and his quirkiness, I agree there are a lot of times where what he says to do just doesn't work in real life. Although I will give him credit for correcting himself when he gets something wrong, and admitting it when he makes a mistake.

The Barefoot Contessa makes very simple, easy, flavorful food. I can't think of anything that she does that couldn't be replicated by just about anyone who can follow a recipe.

The handsome male chefs that have been talked about here do not impress me with their cooking. They are beefcake to Giada's cheesecake. In fact, one of them made the saddest looking pie that I have ever seen.

They don't impress me either. I like the Barefoot Contessa, Paula Dean, and the Neely's for casual fun times. I like their style and they look like real people.

For an 'impress me' dinner I would go with an appropriate Iron Chef (Batali for Italian, Morimoto for Japanese, etc) or honesty just a day grilling with Bobby Flay would be fun!

PS I forgot the Frugal Gourmet, loved that show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom