"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Dehydrator Discussions

Old 08-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
Head Chef

Pretty!! Might have to try that out!!

Old 08-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2490250802.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	15039

Old 08-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I came home from MN a couple of years ago during the height of tomato season. My brother and I stopped at the farm. I discovered 100+ roma tomatoes on the counter. It took the two of us about 20 minutes to get them all washed, halved, seeded and in the dehydrator. After driving for 2 days, it didn't take much to convince me that dehydrated tomatoes were the way to go. I too pack in freezer bags and freeze for 24-48 hours. After that, I pack in dry jars and store in a dark cupboard.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
Sous Chef

I dry Romas. Slice them 1/4 inch, dehydrate and pack in olive oil. I used to add a bruised garlic clove and some fennel seed, then serve with crusty sourdough bread. I was told that adding garlic could generate botulism in the anaerobic environment, so now I add it crushed right before serving, although I had done it the other way for years and nobody ever died or even got a mild disturbance. Who knows...
Old 08-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
I dry Romas. Slice them 1/4 inch, dehydrate and pack in olive oil. I used to add a bruised garlic clove and some fennel seed, then serve with crusty sourdough bread. I was told that adding garlic could generate botulism in the anaerobic environment, so now I add it crushed right before serving, although I had done it the other way for years and nobody ever died or even got a mild disturbance. Who knows...
I did this too (garlic, oil).........but most of the other people that did, died, don't know what from? I think that knowing that information is just...important,...to not send along bad information, that might hurt someone.......so we just don't pass on that bad information anymore. Know what I mean?
Nice seeing you again Gad--zucchini's....it's always a pleasure to hear from you.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #16
Head Chef

Here is how they look today.
The cherry tomatoes I cut open stuck to the tray while the ones I didn't cut aren't as dry. I have some cherry tomatoes and some romas that are needing a little more dehydrating time.
I guess it doesn't matter if I cut the cherry tomatoes or not, I either lose some to sticking to the tray, or it takes a little longer to dry them. They take so much less space, I'm happy with that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0060.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	15068  
Old 08-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Blissful, I dry the cherries with the cut side up, that way they don't stick.

A few of mine still need a bit more time too. They really shrink up, don't they?
Old 08-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Blissful, I dry the cherries with the cut side up, that way they don't stick.

A few of mine still need a bit more time too. They really shrink up, don't they?
Good idea.

They do shrink up a LOT. One year we had bushels of tomatoes and they all fit in a couple gallon zip lock bags once they were dry, that is amazing to me.

When I made sauce last week, I put a few hand fulls in the blender with water and the taste is so sunny. No bitterness. I wish I had planted more.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I came home from MN a couple of years ago during the height of tomato season. My brother and I stopped at the farm. I discovered 100+ roma tomatoes on the counter. It took the two of us about 20 minutes to get them all washed, halved, seeded and in the dehydrator. After driving for 2 days, it didn't take much to convince me that dehydrated tomatoes were the way to go. I too pack in freezer bags and freeze for 24-48 hours. After that, I pack in dry jars and store in a dark cupboard.
Why do you freeze them if you don't keep them frozen?
Old 08-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #20
Master Chef

My MIL used to make a lot of fruit leather on her home built dehydrator. I wonder what tomato leather would be like, and if there's a recipe or technique out there that I could follow. Thanks for the inspiration. Oh, and when my tomatoes really start to come out, I'll try dehydrating some.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tomatoes