Another Brining Experiment...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well folks, i'm done grilling and eating my grilled chicken using this brine, and here is the verdict:

THIS BRINE MIXTURE IS A DEFINITE KEEPER!!!

OMG... was this ever good!!!! :ohmy:

my Dad was very skeptical... because the ONLY seasoning i added to the chicken BEFORE grilling was just a sprinkle of durkee's broil-n-grill-THAT'S IT!! he said, "it won't have any salt...etc." when he bit down into that drumstick, it was moist & juicy, and i didn't hear him say anything else until he was DONE EATING. :LOL:

the rest of the flavors went down thru to the bone!!!

i let the chicken (2 cut-up whole chickens) brine for 5 hours total... and it was just right.

not salty
not sweet... but a wonderful combination of both.

then, there was the rum, the maple, etc.

Gretchen said:
As GB said, tasty--AND where is the recipe/amounts/ingredients!!!!
i'm in the country in louisiana this weekend, and i could NOT find any red chile peppers... so i'm stuck with the jalapenos. here's what i've decided to do with these 3 thick salmon steaks:

1/2 jalapeno minced
3 T soy sauce
3 T maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp Mapleine (maple flavoring) this is sometimes hard-to-find, but wal-mart usually carries it. if not, see this site: http://www.hometownfavorites.com/shop/candy_cat_js.asp

1. again, use warm water to dissolve the syrup, and add-in the jalapeno too.
2. cool the mixture off with ice cubes and mix in the soy sauce, vanilla, and mapleine.
3. add the 3 salmon steaks and fill a SST bowl with cold water to cover the steaks.
4. let the steaks brine for 2-3 hours.

lightly season with kosher salt & fresh cracked pepper and place on the alderwood or cedar plank on the grill.

my Dad is making a light basting sauce of potlatch seasoning, maple syrup, and melted butter for his salmon...

i like my salmon well done and crispy on the edges... esp. when using a sweet brine or basting sauce.

again, this is my first attempt with this mixture using a vanilla lobster recipe as a guideline.

OK... HERE ARE THE RESULTS:

i give this little experiment a 7 out of 10... good enough to do again, but it requires a little more experimentation.

Last edited:
well, well...I amm new to this site as of today and my mouth is watering for salmon now!!! Keep those good idea's of yours coming!!

Back
Top Bottom