"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

I make three or four different meatloaf recipes. One is with lamb and beef with Near East spices, the other is a bacon cheeseburger meatloaf I found on DC and the third is an older more traditional recipe with beef that I whipped up.

I don't wrap any of these in bacon or top them with canned tomato soup.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:36 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
quick oats instead of breadcrumbs.
I've made this recipe with old fashioned oats (Quaker doesn't care which one you use), 85% ground beef, and gravy made with Better Than Bouillon. I made it once with 90% ground beef, and it barely held together.

Classic Meatloaf - Recipe | QuakerOats.com

tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:06 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I've made this recipe with old fashioned oats (Quaker doesn't care which one you use), 85% ground beef, and gravy made with Better Than Bouillon. I made it once with 90% ground beef, and it barely held together.

Classic Meatloaf - Recipe | QuakerOats.com
I don't know what percent my ground beef is... we buy it on the hoof. It's generally somewhere around 90% lean. It's packed in 1.5 lb packages, and one package doesn't release more than 2 or 3 tablespoons of fat when browned in a frying pan. When I make a meat loaf, I don't have to pour off any grease like I would for the 83% grocery store hamburger. It hangs together nicely.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:38 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Meatloaf is one dish that they just absolutely love in Italy. And it's been adopted in the the USA. I have a very nice recipe book given to me by a very good friend in America. Their meatloaf is epic. So's the Chief's, only more so. I make the Chief's meatloaf now. It uses beef and pork. You'll find it in the D.C. archives, if you do a search. I'm sure you could make a 'white' meat version that would be very good.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #25
Executive Chef

I have never made a good turkey meatloaf or turkey meat balls. I have tried and then I tried, then tried again, God knows I tried and God was happy, DH wasn't that pleased. I'm going to stop trying to make a good one and it comes down to putting some spices into it, and DH doesn't like spicy, so there is no way for it to turn out good, to him.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:49 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I have never made a good turkey meatloaf or turkey meat balls. I have tried and then I tried, then tried again, God knows I tried and God was happy, DH wasn't that pleased. I'm going to stop trying to make a good one and it comes down to putting some spices into it, and DH doesn't like spicy, so there is no way for it to turn out good, to him.
Same here, Blissful. I've tried several turkey meatloaf and meatball recipes over the years and was not happy with any of them. I ended up staying with the beef and pork combo and figured that I wasn't going to eat a mountain full of it every week, so what the heck.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:27 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Same here, Blissful. I've tried several turkey meatloaf and meatball recipes over the years and was not happy with any of them. I ended up staying with the beef and pork combo and figured that I wasn't going to eat a mountain full of it every week, so what the heck.
Oh Yeah, and you were born with the same sign on your forehead, "I will eat the food you deem inferior", yeah, I have that sign.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:32 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Oh Yeah, and you were born with the same sign on your forehead, "I will eat the food you deem inferior", yeah, I have that sign.
Comes with having children and eating what they won't eat....back in the day.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:17 AM   #29
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Funny, I do that for my 72 year old.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:00 AM   #30
Sous Chef

I dug this out of my stash of recipes:

1. For all the meatloaves, the components are ground meat or other non-meat ingredients like salmon, and vegetarian.

Turkey or chicken meatloaf:

Ground chicken/turkey, minced and sausage.
black pepper
breadcrumbs
parmesan
parsley
nutmeg
chopped garlic - not too much
nutmeg
1 clove garlic
fresh parsley - the mix should look 'speckled'
thyme, garlic rosemary sage to taste

2. enough thin slices of either pork or veal

Mix together all the ingredients that go with the mince chicken/turkey. salt and pepper. Work well until you have a mass of minced meat that doesn't fall apart.

lay out the slices of veal so as to keep the shape of the meatloaf together. At this stage, you can wrap some thin bacon round it.

You can use you're imagination and experience to improve on this recipe. For example, you could put a filling of spinach, ricotta, parmesan, bound with an egg. It really is something you can experiment with and put you're own stamp on it.

When you do come to cook it, use butter, oil, or both, white wine, so you can baste the meat.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast

Tie with string before putting in the oven.

di reston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meat, turkey