"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 04-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Bonio darling I don't need any padding. I love a good stuffing though. Obsessed with it!

So, the chickens are bred to be bigger, not many buy free range then? It can be quite a snobby thing here "oh I ONLY eat free range catholic presbyterian chickens who have been treated well and raised on Cruise Liners".

Nah, I just want a big plump one!!

+ 1 on your humor

Old 04-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
+ 1 on your humor
+2

Old 04-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Some years ago we went to visit some friends who were renting a small farm. We brought along 2 packages of chicken parts to contribute towards dinner. The wife was really pregnant, not too energetic and it was a hot summer day . No air conditioning at their house, and we thought we would be grilling chicken. Dumb as we were, we forgot to bring along any charcoal ! When it came time to make dinner, she pulled two cast iron fry pans out and slapped the chickens in and closed the oven door. No seasoned flour, not even salt and pepper. Sat out on the porch while dinner cooked. Later, us guys went out to the cornfield and brought in an armload of fresh young field corn ( the kind you feed to your livestock). Dinner time rolls around. The chicken came out of the oven brown and the skin was crispy and the melted fat in the pans was soon turned into gravy. The chicken tasted like Chicken. It was the best chicken and mashed taters and gravy and corn I think I ever ate.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #34
Executive Chef

I've often cooked a whole chicken with no treatment other than washing it off and throwing it on a rack in a preheated oven. It always comes out good.

Only recently have I become interested in country gravy and haven't tried it on a chicken roast yet.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:43 AM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Americans are, by and large, white meat eaters. More boneless skinless chicken breasts are sold than any other part. Big breasts are a selling point.

I think that they might be using Breast of Oven Stuffer Roasters opposed to skinny Frying Chickens. When they (OSR) used to be cheap on sale I used to only buy them and use them for all of my recipes. I would cut the breast into 4 good size servings.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:46 AM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Darling small breasts are a let down but I'm sure you know a bit of padding works wondersAttachment 13534 clic on pic to make the breasts bigger

What happened to the Breast? The other end looks full of .....
Old 04-21-2012, 02:05 AM   #37
Sous Chef

American chickens tend to be larger in part because the American poultry industry is allowed to feed the birds large amounts of growth hormones in order to cut the time from egg to market. Free range organic tend to be smaller and tastier.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:12 AM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
if your breast meat is dry, your doing something wrong.

Attachment 13540Attachment 13540Attachment 13540
Old 04-21-2012, 02:25 AM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
+2
+3
Old 04-21-2012, 03:07 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post

So, the chickens are bred to be bigger, not many buy free range then? It can be quite a snobby thing here "oh I ONLY eat free range catholic presbyterian chickens who have been treated well and raised on Cruise Liners".
Dahling Grunfuttock you have solved a mystery, we returned to our cabin (lovely balcony ) I was very very drunk to find what I thought was a croissant on the bed, my wife thought it was a crab but now I think its a chicken?
Croatian Dreams :: 2006_1019yorkshiredales0010.mp4 video by Hvar2010 - Photobucket

Tags
None