"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-01-2004, 02:57 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Chicken and dumplings

Ok, I need a good southen wOmans or mans help now!

I want to make a good chicken and dumplings. I have been in the southen U.S and I liked the chicken and dumplings but don't know how to make it :) Would somebody tell me how, please :)

Old 11-01-2004, 03:03 PM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
http://southernfood.about.com/sitese...832&type=1

Leaf Storm, all I can offer you is a link to a site with several good chicken-n-dumplin' recipes. I have been trying to duplicate my mil's for several years now & just can't get it right. I hope this link helps you some.

Old 11-01-2004, 03:08 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

thank god you showed up crewsk! You were the first person I thought of when I read this thread.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:12 PM   #4
Master Chef

Really! WOW it's nice to be thought of!! I just wish I could have been more help.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:16 PM   #5
Senior Cook

You were of help! Thank you :)

I will check out that web site!
Old 11-01-2004, 03:18 PM   #6
Master Chef

You're very welcome Leaf Storm! I hope you find something there.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:46 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I am dough deficient and could never make the thin chewy dumplings that my family loves - well I found them in the frozen dough section of the grocery store - forget the brand, but they are about 4" long, 1" wide and very thin. I stewed a chicken in the crockpot, then took it out, removed the meat, but the bones, fat and veggies back in, covered with water and cooked another couple hours - made the dumplings as directed on the package - added that butter and flour mixture that Sara Moulton makes to thcken the broth - OMG - as good as moms!!!! I'm so happy!

The package - if they are the same all over, 8 oz, white cellophane package with red lettering and I think, a pot over a fire...check them out - just thaw first to separate without driving your self nutty!
Old 11-02-2004, 07:17 AM   #8
Senior Cook

For the past 20 years, my preparation method for Chicken-and-Dumplings has comprised these fundamental steps:

Cut a 3-pound chicken into 8 pieces (deboning the pieces if preferred, but either way seasoning them with salt) and place them in a large oven-proof casserole. Add 2 chopped carrots, 2 chopped onions, 2 chopped celery ribs, 2 crushed garlic cloves. Cover with cold water, bring to the boil, uncovered; reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender. With a slotted spoon, remove chicken pieces to a deep, heated platter, cover with foil.

Next, combine 2 cups sifted flour (or substitute a ½ cup of the flour with an equal measure of fine yellow cornmeal) with 1 Tb. baking powder and 1 tsp salt. Blend in 2 lightly beaten eggs, 2/3 cup whole milk ½ cup chopped fresh parsley mixed with some fresh tarragon, and 1 crushed garlic clove.

Return the chicken broth to a soft boil, and drop the dumpling batter by rounded spoonfuls into the hot broth. Cover the casserole and poach the dumplings for about 12 minutes, or until suitably textured.

To serve this dish, place the dumplings on the platter around the chicken pieces & vegetables, and pour on some of the broth.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:38 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Thanks for posting the recipe for me :)

I might give one of thease recipes a try on the weekend. I'm not sure how it will turn out. Looks to be a little tricky to get right.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:55 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Want easy, no mess dumplings, use flour tortillas.

Tags
None