Chicken paprikash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have two recipes for Chicken paprikash.

One uses green pepper and diced tomato the other doesn't.
My 2nd recipe for Chicken Paprikash uses wine, broth, and chicken breasts which you cook in butter. You then add your wine and broth to the
chicken and allow it to cook (along with your spices).

Which one is more traditional? Reason I'm asking is because I'm
looking for traditional Hungarian recipes.

Below are the links for both recipes of Chicken Paprika:

Hungarian Chicken Paprikash Recipe | Recipezaar

Chicken Paprikash recipe

Unique, if I were to choose between the two you posted, I'd go with the second one. In fact, I am going to make it for dinner next week (thanks for the idea about what to do with chicken breasts that I haven't made in ages!)

Green peppers are not in the recipes I've made, but sour cream IS.

I'm going to increase the amount of sweet paprika, though. Maybe 4 T. and see how that goes.

Lee

June Meyer's recipe is exactly like my Hungarian Grandma's. It is delicious! I make regular spaetzle instead of potato dumplings. Either way, you can't go wrong.

"One uses green pepper and diced tomato the other doesn't. "
I was given a recipe about 25 years ago with those ingredients. I still use it today. It calls for a whole chicken cut up, sour cream added at the end. Thanks for the reminder.

while both look good, the second is the one I know as "paprikash"

I am sure like so many cuisines, there are regions and differences. both peppers and tomatoes are new world foods and didn't get to Europe till After 1500, so the one without is older most likely.

I would also go with the second one. It's pretty similar to my Polish grandmothers' recipe except I don't use wine or chicken broth in mine. I also serve it over spaetzel. Lots and lots of paprika.

Barb

according to my wife, who was raised on chicken paprikash made by her slovakian born and raised mother, it MUST contain dark meat chicken, sour cream, and paprika. everything else is regional or a spin off.

according to my wife, who was raised on chicken paprikash made by her slovakian born and raised mother, it MUST contain dark meat chicken, sour cream, and paprika. everything else is regional or a spin off.

I agree with the sour cream and paprika but since I only eat white meat that goes in also. lol My Poland born grandmother (close to Slovenian) taught me my recipe.

Barb

I agree with the sour cream and paprika but since I only eat white meat that goes in also. lol My Poland born grandmother (close to Slovenian) taught me my recipe.

Barb

I made this recently with Cooks Illustrated's recipe. They suggested using a combination of thighs and breasts, cooking the thighs for an hour and the breasts for 20 minutes, so they don't overcook and get dry. They also included 1 red and 1 green pepper and a can of diced tomatoes. Maybe not the most traditional, but it was delish and I like adding more nutritious veggies whenever I can :)

Back
Top Bottom