Colorful chicken sandwiches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coookies

Cook
So this isn't much of a recipe, more of a "throw together" kind of thing but it is way too good to not share. It is also not my or my boyfriend's original idea but Trio Cafe in Whitman, MA's idea... but after having one of theirs recently, my BF says ours is far better :cool: You could surely alter this to however you want it but here is how I make it:

1 red, 1 yellow, 1 orange bell pepper
1 red onion
little jar of Classico brand pesto (I'll figure out how to make my own eventually)
2 loaves of ciabatta bread (or any hearty bread for sandwhich-making ;))
Sliced mozzarella cheese... we like Sargento
6 chicken breasts
salt, pepper, a bit o' thyme and sage
olive oil

Slice up your chicken into bite size or just bigger than bite size pieces, saute them up in a frying pan with salt, pepper, and a couple of big pinches of thyme and sage. Saute the veggies with salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil (I eyeball it but its probably about a tablespoon?). After you have split your bread to make sandwhiches, slather the pesto on both sides of the bread and arrange chicken, veggies, and cheese (I like to put the cheese on last so it melts down in between the veggies... mmmm) and pop them in a 350 oven for about 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is nice and melty. Should make about 6 fairly big sandwhiches on 2 loaves of ciabatta, although half of one is very filling, so if you're serving this with other items instead of as a dinner you could probably make it 12 servings.

Now that I think of it, maybe next time I will add some garlic into the veggie mixture and squeeze some lemon juice over the chicken while it is frying up.

~Katie

Edited to add: Prep time runs about 30 minutes, depending on your chopping speed :) Took me close to 45 min - an hour to make these last night cause I can't chop anything to save my life, or split bread for that matter.

Sharp knives are your best friend in the kitchen... especially when you get to chopping stuff like tomatoes that will get squished up otherwise

Oh, and a dedicated bread slicing kife, also sharp but with lots of flat teeth

Last edited:
Sharp knives are your best friend in the kitchen... especially when you get to chopping stuff like tomatoes that will get squished up otherwise

Oh, and a dedicated bread slicing kife, also sharp but with lots of flat teeth

"reason for editing: can't spell knives apparently" :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Sounds great, but I don't think I have ever seen the orange peppers around here. I can sub red green yellow though and it will be colorful.
One trick I was taught when I was working in a Chinese restaurant chopping vegetables was to curl my fingers so my knuckles acted as a guide for the knife. Saved a lot of fingertips doing that, LOL.
I don't know how else to describe that... kinda like 'clawing' the vegetable with your fingertips so they are curled, then chop with the knife against your knuckles making sure the edge of the blade does not rise higher than your knuckles.

Maverick great tip thank you :) also, look for orange peppers where the peppers are packaged in 3's - 1 red, 1 yellow and 1 orange. That is the only way I can ever find them.

HTH,
Katie

Back
Top Bottom