Cornish Game Hens for Thanksgiving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

parker57

Cook
I have decided to make cornish game hens for dinner today. I have two of them, they appear to be just under 2 lbs each. Now, do I halve them first, or cook them whole? Any suggestions or special tips would be appreciated.

I would stuff them and cook them whole -- they might tend to dry out if cut in half. I like to add bacon to the or place a couple bacon slices on top of them.
Have a Happpy Thanksgiving

Thanks, I was worried about that, as theres not all that much meat on these things........How long do you figure a 2 lb hen would take? The package says 1 hour for a 1 lb 2 oz hen......

When I cook them I rub them with butter and sometimes stuff them with a dressing. I have halved them and they didn't dry out. I tuck the wings under and foil the ends of the legs. We eat them alot and are so good with rice or potatoes of any kind.Happy Thanks giving.

A stuffing made with wild and brown rice (pre-cooked in chicken broth), butter, breakfast or Italian sausage, and the gizzards, , chopped water chestnuts, and thyme is a great addition. Each person gets there own stuffed game hen. Figure about 3/4 cup stuffing per bird.

To cook, follow package directions. To make them perfect, thaw and allow to come up to room temperature. Dry them with paper towels and rub oil over the skin. Rub a bit of chicken soup base onto the skin.

Use a meat thermometer and cook to an internal temp of 160 degrees Farenheight. Figure about 15 minutes per poundafter placing in a 375 degree oven. Let the birds rest for 10 minutes before serving. If you don't, the yummy juices will flood the plate when the birds are cut into.

If the skin isn't quite as brown as you'd like, turn off the oven and turn on the broiler. Broil for about 3 mintes, watching the birds closely.

Serve with a beatiful baby-spinach salad, some sweet potatoes, and whole-berry cranberry sauce. Or, serve with whatever your favorite holiday foods might be.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I fix them the way my first MIL taught me. I season them with salt, pepper and a little sage, then put them in a roasting pan with a package or two of Uncle Ben's long grain and wild rice (original, not quick cookin), along with sauted fresh mushrooms or canned ones, cover, and cook in 350 oven until tender.

I would certainly stuff them too! Game hens and other small birds seem to work so well with stuffings that contain nuts and fruit. A glaze for the birds made with red current or logan berry jam would be delicious too.

parker57 said:
I have decided to make cornish game hens for dinner today. I have two of them, they appear to be just under 2 lbs each. Now, do I halve them first, or cook them whole? Any suggestions or special tips would be appreciated.

I would not halve them, they are very pretty served as is... unless you have a reason for cutting them up. Treat it as you would a chicken and go by cooking times/weight on the package. When poked with a fork, and the juices run clear, it is done.

Back
Top Bottom