"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-24-2005, 07:35 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cornish Game Hens for Thanksgiving

I have decided to make cornish game hens for dinner today. I have two of them, they appear to be just under 2 lbs each. Now, do I halve them first, or cook them whole? Any suggestions or special tips would be appreciated.

Old 11-24-2005, 07:46 AM   #2
Head Chef

I would stuff them and cook them whole -- they might tend to dry out if cut in half. I like to add bacon to the or place a couple bacon slices on top of them.
Have a Happpy Thanksgiving

Old 11-24-2005, 07:50 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks, I was worried about that, as theres not all that much meat on these things........How long do you figure a 2 lb hen would take? The package says 1 hour for a 1 lb 2 oz hen......
Old 11-24-2005, 08:01 AM   #4
Head Chef

i would figure hour to hour and 1/2. at 350 covered and under for about 20 min. But check them sometimes they get done quicker.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:54 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2005, 09:08 AM   #6
Head Chef

When I cook them I rub them with butter and sometimes stuff them with a dressing. I have halved them and they didn't dry out. I tuck the wings under and foil the ends of the legs. We eat them alot and are so good with rice or potatoes of any kind.Happy Thanks giving.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:36 AM   #7
Master Chef

A stuffing made with wild and brown rice (pre-cooked in chicken broth), butter, breakfast or Italian sausage, and the gizzards, , chopped water chestnuts, and thyme is a great addition. Each person gets there own stuffed game hen. Figure about 3/4 cup stuffing per bird.

To cook, follow package directions. To make them perfect, thaw and allow to come up to room temperature. Dry them with paper towels and rub oil over the skin. Rub a bit of chicken soup base onto the skin.

Use a meat thermometer and cook to an internal temp of 160 degrees Farenheight. Figure about 15 minutes per poundafter placing in a 375 degree oven. Let the birds rest for 10 minutes before serving. If you don't, the yummy juices will flood the plate when the birds are cut into.

If the skin isn't quite as brown as you'd like, turn off the oven and turn on the broiler. Broil for about 3 mintes, watching the birds closely.

Serve with a beatiful baby-spinach salad, some sweet potatoes, and whole-berry cranberry sauce. Or, serve with whatever your favorite holiday foods might be.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 09:46 AM   #8
Master Chef

I fix them the way my first MIL taught me. I season them with salt, pepper and a little sage, then put them in a roasting pan with a package or two of Uncle Ben's long grain and wild rice (original, not quick cookin), along with sauted fresh mushrooms or canned ones, cover, and cook in 350 oven until tender.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:52 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
I would certainly stuff them too! Game hens and other small birds seem to work so well with stuffings that contain nuts and fruit. A glaze for the birds made with red current or logan berry jam would be delicious too.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:34 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker57
I have decided to make cornish game hens for dinner today. I have two of them, they appear to be just under 2 lbs each. Now, do I halve them first, or cook them whole? Any suggestions or special tips would be appreciated.
I would not halve them, they are very pretty served as is... unless you have a reason for cutting them up. Treat it as you would a chicken and go by cooking times/weight on the package. When poked with a fork, and the juices run clear, it is done.

Tags
None