"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-09-2005, 06:11 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Here's a few. I made the Italian one years ago. I got the recipe out of Jeff Smith's Italian cookbook. It's great.

Game Hens Stuffed with Sausage, Fennel, and Mushrooms
Serves 4 - 6

For the stuffing:
½# mild Italian sausage
2 T olive oil
2 T minced garlic
1 c peeled and chopped yellow onion
2 ½ c julienned fresh fennel bulb
¼# mushrooms, sliced
2 T chopped parsley
¾ c bread crumbs
½ c chicken stock
2 eggs, beaten
Salt and pepper to taste
Paprika, to taste
Four 1 ¾# game hens

Brown the sausage until crumbly. Drain and discard the fat. Combine the sausage with the rest of the stuffing ingredients.
Rub the hens with crushed garlic, oil, salt, pepper, and paprika, and stuff. Roast at 350°F in the center of the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes max! Allow to stand 5 minutes. Split the birds in half and serve.

Rosemary-Lemon Cornish Hens with Roasted Potatoes
Yields: 2 servings

2 t crushed dried rosemary
½ t salt, in all
¼ t black pepper, in all
two 1 ¼ # Cornish hens
½ lemon, halved, in all
Cooking spray
2 c cubed Yukon gold or red potato
2 t olive oil

You can easily vary this recipe by using thyme in place of rosemary or sprinkling ground red pepper and garlic powder over the potatoes. Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine crushed dried rosemary, ¼ t salt, and 1/8 t pepper. Remove and discard giblets from hens. Rinse hens with cold water; pat dry. Remove skin; trim excess fat. Working with 1 hen
at a time, place 1 lemon piece in the cavity of hen; tie ends of legs together with twine. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under hen. Repeat procedure with remaining hen and lemon piece. Rub hens with rosemary mixture. Place hens, breast sides up, on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Toss potato with oil; sprinkle with remaining salt
and pepper. Arrange the potato around hens. Insert a meat thermometer into meaty part of a thigh, making sure not to touch bone. Remove twine. Bake at 375°F for 1 hour or until thermometer registers 180°.

Roasted Game Hens with 40 Cloves Of Garlic
Yield: 4 Servings

two 1 ½# Cornish game hens
6 T softened butter
8 fresh sage leaves
2 t grated lemon zest
40 cloves garlic
½ c white wine
1 c chicken stock
2 T arrowroot
2 T water

Preheat oven to 400°F. In a pot of boiling water blanch garlic cloves for 30 seconds. Remove to ice bath to stop cooking. Remove skins. In a small bowl, combine softened butter, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Loosen the skin of the hens by slipping your fingers between the meat and skin of the breast and legs. Rub the butter mixture under the skin of each hen. Place a fresh sage leaf under the skin on each breast half and at each leg.
Place hens, head to toe, in roasting pan. Place garlic cloves inside the cavities and surrounding each hen. Roast hens for 25 - 30 minutes at 400°F until juices run clear when thigh is pierced.
Remove hens and garlic from roasting pan to platter. Pour off fat and juices into fat separator. Place roasting pan over heat. Pour in the white wine to deglaze. Reduce until almost evaporated, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of pan. When reduced, add the chicken stock and any juices that have settled in the fat separator and from the platter. Mix together the arrowroot and water. Add to sauce and bring to a
boil to achieve full thickening power.
Cut hens in half down breast bone and back bone. Serve half a hen per guest. Serve pan sauce on side.

Another one I haven't done in years, is to butterfly a game hen down the back. Remove the backbone and save for stock. Place the bird(s) in a large bowl and marinate with a good bit of olive oil, crushed fresh garlic, salt, pepper, and fresh rosemary. Marinate for an hour or so and then place on a charcoal grill. Cook until done (not sure how long this will be).

Old 02-10-2005, 12:07 AM   #12
Master Chef

Wow AllenMI........40 cloves for 2 little bitty chickens.......I like garlic but I'm not sure about this much.

The middle one with Rosemary sounds really good.

Hubby isn't fond of licorish so I don't think the one with the fennel will go well with his taste....... sounds delicious to me though

Old 02-10-2005, 04:47 AM   #13
Master Chef

give your hens 2 days to thaw in the fridge.
and if they're tyson hens, don't follow the pkg. directions. they dry out.
i heavily butter the skin on mine, add my seasonings, (lots of black pepper/salt/ground sage!!!!/garlic powder/onion powder/sometimes paprika), crush some garlic cloves, and alternate stuffing that and lemon pcs. into the cavity, then bake in a mini roaster, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 45 minutes, tops, basting about 3 or 4 times throughout cooking.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:50 PM   #14
Master Chef

Thanks for the tips Luvs! By the way how you feeling now?
Old 02-12-2005, 04:39 AM   #15
Master Chef

you're welcome, sizz. :)
i'm doing better than i was now, and got a new feeding tube yesterday that is way less noticable cause it doesn't dangle down past the bottom of my shirts, so i'm one happy camper!thanks for asking.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:45 PM   #16
Certified Executive Chef

Sizz, I have a couple of very good recipes posted on the Chicken forum, both TNT
Old 02-14-2005, 02:01 PM   #17
Master Chef

I'm glad your doing better now Luvs. So how are they adjusting your feedings? Are they going by a percentage of food you eat to the ratio of feeding you are to receive via the tube? How are you doing weight wise are you picking any up? I hope so!

Norgeskog...I'll check out your recipes. Thanks!
Old 02-14-2005, 04:05 PM   #18
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
Norgeskog...I'll check out your recipes. Thanks!
Sizz, let me know if you cannot find them. They are not very old.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:35 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

norge, I have game hens in the freezer just waiting for me to find time to make your recipe with wine and rosemary.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:05 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
Wow AllenMI........40 cloves for 2 little bitty chickens.......I like garlic but I'm not sure about this much.
The garlic, once roasted, will be very mild and have a nutty flavor. I think I'm going to start doing the Roasted Chicken with 40 cloves just to keep myself supplied with roast garlic, plus have a good dinner at the same time.

Tags
None