"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 07-26-2007, 02:53 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

can it, i.c..

some people here cringe at the use of canned soup and mayo, while others use them as a convenience. we should be real about it.

this ain't a healthy dish, nor haute cuisine, either by any stretch of the imagination. but if you enjoyed it, then thanks for posting.

maybe if you made this with african lobster tails...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:56 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
can it, i.c..

some people here cringe at the use of canned soup and mayo, while others use them as a convenience. we should be real about it.

this ain't a healthy dish, nor haute cuisine, either by any stretch of the imagination. but if you enjoyed it, then thanks for posting.

maybe if you made this with african lobster tails...
Hey, I restrained myself. Actually, I don't blast people's recipes, no matter how much I may want to. Misinformation is a different story however.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:03 AM   #13
Head Chef

I have made something similar. I use one can broth to the cream soup. It makes an easy winter weeknight meal and does feed the crowd. I add the stuffing mix to the top.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Hey, I restrained myself. Actually, I don't blast people's recipes, no matter how much I may want to. Misinformation is a different story however.
Buckytom is correct. Some cooks are not fond of the use of canned soup/mayo in recipes. I think many grew tired of those concoctions way back when and decided to try using a lighter and fresher touch in their cooking. Obviously, each to his own.

But the OP specifically asked for opinions: "Please tell me how you like it and ways to perfect it?" to be exact. He or she then seems to have taken offense to my politely stated recommendation, which hardly rose to the level of a "blast."

The moral of the story, then, is never to ask a question if you don't really want an answer.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:16 AM   #15
Master Chef

I use a lot of "cream of" soups in my cooking because of the convenience, but I always buy the light versions, which have far less fat and sodium.
I think the recipe sounds delicious. I would want to season the chicken with a good garlic/herb seasoning and some pepper before adding it to the baking dish. I might also add a small jar of pimentoes to the sauce.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:53 AM   #16
Head Chef

I'm not a fan of cream of anything canned soup - and adding mayo, so if I were trying to rework/improve the recipe, I might try heavy cream, white wine and fresh herbs and omit the croutons. But, that would be a total makeover and deter from what you already like. Thank you for sharing your recipe.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:14 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I'm not a canned soup cook myself, but I've been to many a church supper where such cooking is often the norm. The best of these dishes use a mixture of soups ie: cream of chicken mushroom and celery, or the golden mushroom. Most really good ones cut the mayo in half and mix with sour cream for a less oily base. Other touches to the sauce ... chives and parsley and dry sherry (about 1/4 cup)

Definately season your chicken using poultry mix or a garlic onion paprika powder mixture. Yes curry would work well too if you like it. The seasoned stuffing sounds like a good topping. I would "devin" it myself with broccoli spears alternating with the chicken, as well as fresh slliced mushrooms...and serve with rice to put the sauce on. Parmesan cheese would be a natural, and if you want goo, slices of provalone. But the swiss sounds good too.

Anyway it seems there are lots of ways you can morph this recipe to your likes
Old 07-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #18
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Add some broccoli to the recipe and you can call it Easy Chicken Divan.

And what do so many people have against canned soups, especially the glorious Cream of Mushroom?

If you donít like Cream of Mushroom, how do you make Green Bean Casserole?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:59 PM   #19
Sous Chef

ahhhh, I make a deelish "green bean casserole" without any soup. Parboil your beans, saute a bit of onion, mix with beans....crumble a good amount of crackers, different kinds are good, mix together with beans and onion, then some cold pressed sharp cheddar cheese, crumbled, lots of it,and if you care to, some cheez whiz, mix all together and bake 325F for about 1/2 hour. Our grandkids are crazy for it, and I've never had guests who didn't want the recipe and seconds.....try it, you'll like it!!!!....lol
Old 07-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3
Buckytom is correct. Some cooks are not fond of the use of canned soup/mayo in recipes. I think many grew tired of those concoctions way back when and decided to try using a lighter and fresher touch in their cooking. Obviously, each to his own.

But the OP specifically asked for opinions: "Please tell me how you like it and ways to perfect it?" to be exact. He or she then seems to have taken offense to my politely stated recommendation, which hardly rose to the level of a "blast."
BT and my exchange was based on the irony that if I really wanted to, I could've ripped into this recipe much, much, MUCH worse than you did (or at least what the OP thought you did. I didn't think you did at all). And I'm talking like Gordon Ramsay kinda ripping. And BT knows that which is why we made a joke of it.

I wasn't referring to your post at all. To say that I'm not "fond" of using an abundance of canned soup and mayonnaise in cooking? LOL that's like saying that the Yankees are not fond of throwing cash around. But, I quietly avoid conflict by not even bother reading threads that I know will touch that subject.

Tags
None