"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Master Chef

Fresh Turkey

Is it impossible to find a whole fresh turkey that is not frozen???? My intention is to purchase said turkey and whack it up like I do whole chicken. Trying to add variety to the menu and I thought this would be a way to have a turkey breast or leg for dinner. Plus the economics of it all would be better for a family of two.

Will I have a better chance of finding them as Thanksgiving nears?

Old 11-02-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes. Most retailers carry Fresh Turkeys around the holidays --- Thanksgiving & Christmas.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
Master Chef

Ok, I guess that would be the time to stock up on a couple of fresh ones then. I started looking for fresh turkey several months ago and was surprised to see that buying a whole fresh turkey was next to impossible. Unless you buy that prepackaged stuff which I'm sure is fine. But I want to do the whole turkey and make some turkey stock!!!
Old 11-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
Executive Chef

You can get fresh turkeys at the butcher.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Speaking of.....you know I never buy turkey or eat turkey except for Thanksgiving or Christmas. I see it all the time at my supermarket, even had grandios ideas of smoking some legs or roasting a breast.

...weird.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:54 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I buy a fresh 1/2 breast once and awhile, but it's expensive; about the cost of a small whole frozen turkey.
That's another thing, Sattie; fresh will probably cost about double what frozen does. Why? ???
Old 11-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
I buy a fresh 1/2 breast once and awhile, but it's expensive; about the cost of a small whole frozen turkey.
That's another thing, Sattie; fresh will probably cost about double what frozen does. Why? ???
I don't know.. I think I am gonna wait till closer to Thanksgiving and land me one. Don't know if it will be any cheaper or not. Now you got me wandering... why is that it is double than the rock hard frozen stuff?

Jeeks - This has been something I have wanted to do for a while now. I just want to be able to have some turkey now and then and I think turkey is much more flavorful when the bone/skin is intact. Roasted or smoked turkey leg does sound good about now!
Old 11-02-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Sattie....Are you near/Have you checked Randall's Flagship Stores?

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:19 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
I don't know.. I think I am gonna wait till closer to Thanksgiving and land me one. Don't know if it will be any cheaper or not. Now you got me wandering... why is that it is double than the rock hard frozen stuff?

Jeeks - This has been something I have wanted to do for a while now. I just want to be able to have some turkey now and then and I think turkey is much more flavorful when the bone/skin is intact. Roasted or smoked turkey leg does sound good about now!
Turkey is harvested year around, but the vast majority of it is consumed around the holidays. Accordingly, fresh costs more to produce, deliver, and maintain than the frozen, and the market is limited to only a few days a year, resulting in higher prices. In my experience, there is no economic advantage to purchasing a whole turkey, cutting it up, and freezing the parts.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I love turkey, but cooking a whole one is reserved for about 3 times a year for me...thanksgiving, a cold Feb day, and early summer on the kettle grill (smoked...yum) Otherwise I do parts (usually neck wings and legs from the butcher for soups etc. The breast is premium but the rest is often very cheap.

Tags
None