General Question about Baking Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BakedChicken

Assistant Cook
Hello chefs and fellow cooks. I have a general question in regards to baking chicken. What, in your mind, would you have to do in order to ensure the best quality outcome. Steps? Preparation? Favorite dishes? Any input welcome. Thanks again!

To me, baked chicken is the same as roast chicken except the chicken is cut up. Are you looking for something like a chicken casserole dish?

For the 'best quality outcome' I would first start off by buying an organic chicken. I find it tends to have more flavour and, of course, is fed real food and not DPM (dried poultry manure). Also, because of the way they are kept, e.g. being allowed to roam free outside so they are not stressed and do not need antibiotics.

Last edited:
Well the most important thing is don't over cook it. For that reason it's best to not bake mixed chicken parts together because the light meat doesn't need to be cooked as long as the dark meat. All chicken is safe to eat at 165degrees, although for the texture of dark meat I like it cooked to 180degrees. Always brine chicken breasts for best results.

My favorite recipe for roasted bone-in, skin-on chicken parts goes like this: Preheat oven to 400F. Mix up about 3 tbsp of seasoning, or use a favorite seasoning blend. I use different dried herbs and spices depending on my mood and what flavor profile I want.

Pour a few tbsp soy sauce into a small dish. Use a spoon to loosen the skin on the chicken pieces. Sprinkle seasoning mix under the skin, then brush soy sauce under and on top of the skin. Sprinkle any remaining seasoning on the chicken.

Place in the oven and roast for 45 minutes to one hour or until chicken is cooked to 160F for breasts and 165 for thighs and legs.

The soy sauce dries the skin, making it nice and crispy, as well as contributing to the seasoning, but you don't taste it. No need to use any fat or to baste. As the chicken cooks, the fat renders and bastes the meat from underneath.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
My favorite recipe for roasted bone-in, skin-on chicken parts goes like this: Preheat oven to 400F. Mix up about 3 tbsp of seasoning, or use a favorite seasoning blend. I use different dried herbs and spices depending on my mood and what flavor profile I want.

Pour a few tbsp soy sauce into a small dish. Use a spoon to loosen the skin on the chicken pieces. Sprinkle seasoning mix under the skin, then brush soy sauce under and on top of the skin. Sprinkle any remaining seasoning on the chicken.

Place in the oven and roast for 45 minutes to one hour or until chicken is cooked to 160F for breasts and 165 for thighs and legs.

The soy sauce dries the skin, making it nice and crispy, as well as contributing to the seasoning, but you don't taste it. No need to use any fat or to baste. As the chicken cooks, the fat renders and bastes the meat from underneath.

Hope this helps.

It sounds perfect to me. :angel:

If its a whole chicken you want to roast, season it heavily and make a beer can chicken in the oven.
Just take out the top oven shelf/rack and roast the highly seasoned bird at 350f for an hour or so. Use a thermometer to make sure its done.

If its a whole chicken you want to roast, season it heavily and make a beer can chicken in the oven.
Just take out the top oven shelf/rack and roast the highly seasoned bird at 350f for an hour or so. Use a thermometer to make sure its done.

That's my favorite way to roast a chicken but I do it at 425F to insure crispy perfectly browned skin.

Here's a recent 6 lb. bird.
img_1449468_0_1cb4309b79c91d86c328bbf86570fc0c.jpg

Last edited:
That's my favorite way to roast a chicken but I do it at 425F to insure crispy perfectly browned skin.

::drooling::

I do a whole bird that way, too, after seasoning under and over as I described above. I really like how seasoning under the skin makes the meat so much more flavorful. btw, I put white wine in the can since I don't really like beer.

I got one of these, so I don't have to be dependent on having a can around in order to make it:

5200CCISR8016.jpg

Last edited:
Boy, that's a nice set up for a standing chicken GG!! I'm going to do your seasoning and soy sauce method next time. It all makes sense.

I don't like beer either. I don't think I ever drank a whole one in my life, but I do like it for this. I'm a wine girl, and I like it that way too.

By the way, notice how the ends are cut off of the potato? The SousChef taught me that. I don't think it's my imagination that they bake better that way. :chef:

Last edited:
Boy, that's a nice set up for a standing chicken GG!! I'm going to do your seasoning and soy sauce method next time. It all makes sense.

I don't like beer either. I don't think I ever drank a whole one in my life, but I do like it for this. I'm a wine girl, and I like it that way too.

By the way, notice how the ends are cut off of the potato? The SousChef taught me that. I don't think it's my imagination that they bake better that way. :chef:

That's interesting. Do you do that instead of pricking it?

Thank you for your responses!

To me, baked chicken is the same as roast chicken except the chicken is cut up. Are you looking for something like a chicken casserole dish?

Honestly, I am open to everything and anything. I understand what it takes to bake a chicken, typically. If you have any new and tasty suggestions, I am all ears! :chef:

For the 'best quality outcome' I would first start off by buying an organic chicken. I find it tends to have more flavour and, of course, is fed real food and not DPM (dried poultry manure). Also, because of the way they are kept, e.g. being allowed to roam free outside so they are not stressed and do not need antibiotics.

Hello! Thank you for your input! I've come to find most organic food items are of typically better quality. Does it just have more flavour? Or is it juicier, tougher, etc.? I never heard of DPM, interesting. Is that what non-organic birds are typically fed? Thank you again!! :chef:

Well the most important thing is don't over cook it. For that reason it's best to not bake mixed chicken parts together because the light meat doesn't need to be cooked as long as the dark meat. All chicken is safe to eat at 165degrees, although for the texture of dark meat I like it cooked to 180degrees. Always brine chicken breasts for best results.

Thank you Kayelle! I appreciate your tips. I always assumed that dark meat cooks at the same time as light. Good to know! Do you have any dark chicken recipes I should check out? Also, how would you brine yours? Thank you! :chef:

Hope this helps.

Wow! That sounds delicious! I might have to try that one. I love the mixture of dry and liquid seasoning (definitely love the soy sauce and chicken combo - always!). What would you use to brush on the soy sauce? Just a regular brush? I was hoping there was garlic there somewhere :ROFLMAO:.

Would you mind if I shared this recipe? Thank you again for your contribution! :chef:

Hello! Thank you for sharing. What would you say the pound-to-time ratio would be? Thanks again! :chef:

img_1449487_0_1cb4309b79c91d86c328bbf86570fc0c.jpg

That looks divine! What would you say the temp limit is? Or is there none, just time! Thank you!! :chef:

For the 'best quality outcome' I would first start off by buying an organic chicken. I find it tends to have more flavour and, of course, is fed real food and not DPM (dried poultry manure).

This may be true in the United Kingdom, but not in the United States. Commercial poultry are given commercial feed made primarily from grains.

Thank you Kayelle! I appreciate your tips. I always assumed that dark meat cooks at the same time as light. Good to know! Do you have any dark chicken recipes I should check out? Also, how would you brine yours? Thank you! :chef:

That looks divine! What would you say the temp limit is? Or is there none, just time! Thank you!! :chef:
As I mentioned, chicken is safe at 165, but I like my dark meat cooked beyond that if I'm dealing in chicken parts. I brine bone in skin on breasts with 1/4 cup Morton Kosher salt to 4 cups of water for a couple of hours. You can add brown sugar or any herbs of your choice but it's not necessary. You'll find the breast meat superior to anything you've done before.
Marinated and grilled (or broiled) thighs are my all time favorite.

The standing chicken is roasted at 425F until the thigh measures 160 degrees. It will come up to 165 after you wrap it in foil and rest it for 20 minutes or so. Depending on the size of the bird it could take from from 60 to 75 minutes.

Thanks for leading the way to a great discussion, and welcome again. :chef:

Last edited:
We made baked basil pesto marinated chicken breast skewers for New Year's eve dinner. Done this dozens of times on a weber charcoal grill. Frequent turning the skewers and brushing with a little more sauce. In the oven, they came out a wee bit dry, maybe because we didn't pay as close attention, and they certainly were not pampered while baking. Also, chicken pieces cut in squares do not need to cook as long as whole chicken parts. Flavor was still tasty. Pesto is goes great with chicken.

A tale a tale- the best chicken I ever ate.

Good friends had 3 kids back to back to back. Hubby got a vasectomy. Wife miraculously and immediately gets pregnant again. We went to visit them on their rented farm a few miles out of Dodge, eg to us, in the middle of no-where. We stopped at the small town's butcher shop and picked up a few local grown chickens for dinner. Wife takes the chickens out of the packages, plops them in dry cast iron fry pans. I'm picturing wife is holding her back with one hand while she puts the pans in the oven and closes the door with her hip. She and the girls retreat to the shade outside as the house is not air conditioned. The guys wander over to the garden to pick and shuck sweet corn and drink beer.

A while later, dinner is ready. Chicken comes out of the oven and corn and whatever is cooked. Place chicken on platters. Make gravy Chicken is golden brown, skin crispy, and even a few crispy air bubbles on some of the skin, moist inside. That's it. No seasonings, no added oil for baking.
Made plenty of pan juices for gravy. We've done this at home too. Chicken tastes like chicken.

We made baked basil pesto marinated chicken breast skewers for New Year's eve dinner. Done this dozens of times on a weber charcoal grill. Frequent turning the skewers and brushing with a little more sauce. In the oven, they came out a wee bit dry, maybe because we didn't pay as close attention, and they certainly were not pampered while baking. Also, chicken pieces cut in squares do not need to cook as long as whole chicken parts. Flavor was still tasty. Pesto is goes great with chicken.

A tale a tale- the best chicken I ever ate.

Good friends had 3 kids back to back to back. Hubby got a vasectomy. Wife miraculously and immediately gets pregnant again. We went to visit them on their rented farm a few miles out of Dodge, eg to us, in the middle of no-where. We stopped at the small town's butcher shop and picked up a few local grown chickens for dinner. Wife takes the chickens out of the packages, plops them in dry cast iron fry pans. I'm picturing wife is holding her back with one hand while she puts the pans in the oven and closes the door with her hip. She and the girls retreat to the shade outside as the house is not air conditioned. The guys wander over to the garden to pick and shuck sweet corn and drink beer.

A while later, dinner is ready. Chicken comes out of the oven and corn and whatever is cooked. Place chicken on platters. Make gravy Chicken is golden brown, skin crispy, and even a few crispy air bubbles on some of the skin, moist inside. That's it. No seasonings, no added oil for baking.
Made plenty of pan juices for gravy. We've done this at home too. Chicken tastes like chicken.

That's the truth Whiska. We bought some chicken when we were staying at a vacation condo. Good grief, that place didn't even have salt and pepper. I cooked it up and it was terrific! A whole new "flavor profile"...chicken.

img_1449629_0_1cb4309b79c91d86c328bbf86570fc0c.jpg

I get very crispy skin and very nice color at 350f. I have checked my oven temp to be certain and it was spot on. If i were to roast at 425f, I would over brown before it was done.
I do apply oil or butter to the skin before highly seasoning it.

That 6 pound bird at 350 would take about 1.5 hours.

If i were to roast at 425f, I would over brown before it was done.
I do apply oil or butter to the skin before highly seasoning it.

Kayelle doesn't get that result, and neither do I. Why do you think you would?

Trust me, you're wasting time and money by applying oil or butter. As the chicken cooks, the fat under the skin melts. Removing the fat this way is what makes it crispy, as well as the heat hitting the outside of it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom