"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 07-14-2007, 04:35 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

Hi All, I tried the Alton Brown Method, it was fool proof. My wife and kid loved it and it was the first time they tried it. I never was able to get a recipe as good until I went to an Egyptian joint and they served roast duck which was fantastic! They parboiled it and roasted in the oven while basting with butter regularly.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:48 PM   #22
Head Chef

Thanks Kalmen! I love duck. I've pan-fried the breasts and confit'd the legs many times before but have never roasted it myself whole. I'm going to check out AB's recipe. I like the term fool proof very much! And welcome to DC!

Old 07-15-2007, 03:44 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

Thanks a lot! I feel welcome already... Actually, AB cuts the duck into four pieces for easy steaming... But I've tried boiling it whole and skimming the stuff that shows up at the surface and then roasting... That's really nice!
Old 07-15-2007, 04:13 PM   #24
Master Chef

Actually, to give credit where credit is due, Alton Brown's method is far from original. Julia Child has been "steam-roasting" ducks & geese for many years - long before Alton came on the scene.

In fact, I use Julia's steam-roasting method every year for my Xmas goose (since the goose is too large/long for my little rotisserie) & it turns out absolutely terrific every time with very little effort.

And if you like duck, you should also like goose. Same wonderful dark meat, but with a slightly richer flavor.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:18 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

Hmmm... You got me thinking goose :)
I'll definitely research more into what you mentioned... My ultimate goal, is to find the tastiest method of preparation...
I would agree with you that AB uses no original methods, and we'd need to credit the original initiators of the method...
Old 07-16-2007, 10:40 PM   #26
Master Chef

You might be able to find Julia's steam-roasted goose (or duck) recipe online somewhere, but if not, it's in her book The Way To Cook, which I believe is still in print (I saw a copy at Border's Books just a couple of months ago).

This is a terrific cookbook to own - really good basic everyday stuff - nothing froufrou. My copy is virtually falling apart I've used it so often - lol!!! I can't recommend it highly enough.

(The recipe for "Roast Goose with Port Wine Gravy", which we've had every year for Xmas since the cookbook came out is reason enough to buy it. Talk about easy & delicious!!!!)
Old 07-17-2007, 12:19 AM   #27
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Alot of people think that the fat in a duck is contained only underneath the skin, but the meat itself is also very very fatty. There are two things you can do to make your duck experience more enjoyable. First of all, score the skin. I can't stress this enough. There are large amounts of pure fat sitting between the skin and flesh of the duck, and to effectively render it away and leave you with perfectly crispy skin, score the skin and saute your duck meat over low heat. The low heat also gradually heats the flesh of the duck and will rener the meat contained inside. A properly sauteed duck breast will shrink to about 1/3 of the size it was when raw, and will still be a delicious medium rare in the center.

Another great thing to do with duck if you want to confit it, is to first cure it overnight. This does 2 things. First, it introduces flavor. Second, it draws out moisture from the skin. Next cook the duck confit (in its own fat) until it is falling off the bone tender. At this point, most people think their work is done. However, this leaves you with a very fatty duck confit. I like to store the duck in its own fat (refrigerated, the fat will sort of gelatinize and is a great preservation method) until I am ready to cook it. Befor I serve it, I like to roast the duck confit, which renders off any excess fat as well as leaves the skin perfectly crisp ( remember the cure?!). It has been said that confit is perhaps the BEST way to enjoy duck. Just remember to follow these steps to make it as tasty as possible.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:22 AM   #28
Sous Chef

I LOVE duck!!! I buy the frozen ones, defrost and wash them nicely.
Cut it down the middle and flatten it
Mix, fresh chopped parsley, roughly chopped cloves of garlic and evoo, and rub it all over the duck, putting bits under the sking etc.
Leave it for a few hours/over night
Cook for approx-about an hour in the oven - turn it over half way - get rid of most of the 50 inches of oil it leaks. lol jokes
Roast some potatoes along with it.
mmmm duckkkk
Old 07-27-2007, 05:58 AM   #29
Assistant Cook

That's nice...
Old 07-27-2007, 08:38 AM   #30
Executive Chef

" Roast some potatoes along with it "

Oh yes!!!! What temp do you roast it at?

Tags
None