"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 05-28-2006, 06:28 PM   #11
Master Chef

Mrsag - I hope your husband will like it. I know that it wasn't a chopped chicken liver recipe, but always tend to throw it out there when someone asks about chicken livers because chances are if they like chopped chicken liver, they'll like them sauteed as well - lol!!!

Old 05-30-2006, 07:09 AM   #12
Head Chef

I make this one and never have any left.

Liver Pate
saute till liver is done and not crispy
as it is cooking mash liver with fork
1-lb Chicken liver chopped
1/4 cup diced onion
3 tbl butter
add 1 - 8 oz cream cheese and mix in to liver mixture till blended
then add
1/4 tsp each oregano & basil
chopped pepperoni (never measured it but would say about 1/2 cup (I have used cooked bacon too)
salt and pepper to taste.
place into a plastic wrap lined bowl or container refridge till firm and when ready to serve remove from container onto plate and serve with your favorite crackers.

I love this hot also.
When I plate it I put it on top of plate of large leaf lettuce and then put hard boil eggs wedges -red & green peppers rings around it.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:00 AM   #13
Head Chef

I used to gobble up liver pate. Until I learned to cook and discovered that recipes for liver pate normally call for at least half part butter to one part liver. I've even seen recipes with 1:1 butter to liver ratio. Since then, I've been cautious when eating liver pate, and has never made it myself.

Thanks to Constance and Letscook, I will try making liver pate using your recipes since they call for no butter or very little of it. :-)
Old 06-02-2006, 02:02 AM   #14
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
1 lb chicken(or veal liver, yum)
1 onion, diced and sweated
1 hard boiled egg
4 T rendered chicken fat

Sautee liver of chioce, add onion, deglaze with a little sherry, and fat.

Put in a mixing bowl, and diced hard boiled egg, and mix to desired consistancy. Suitable for all mashugnas!
Old 10-21-2014, 11:11 PM   #15
Executive Chef

looking for some chopped chicken liver action, i had to bump this thread from 2006! it's been way too long since i've seen chopped chicken liver anywhere--on a menu, in a deli, or enjoyed it at a friend's house. i never learned to make it myself, but now that will have to change. one of the farms where i buy my organic eggs also sells chickens, and now they are offering healthy, organic chicken livers for sale, too!
tattrat, your recipe is one i'd like to try. can you tell me if i can substitute duck fat for the rendered chicken fat without a problem? and, how important is the sherry to the flavor of this dish?
gawd, my mouth is watering just thinking about this delish, much-missed treat....
Old 10-22-2014, 02:40 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

my buddy ozzy used to make chicken liver meatballs loaded with thyme and garlic, browned them in bacon fat, sauteed gizzards in butter and more bacon fat, made a sort of thin gravy and finished everything in the gravy.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:47 AM   #17
Executive Chef

well, that all sounds yummy too, bt. by chicken liver meatballs, do you mean a ground meat mixture combined with what(?)-- raw or lightly sauteed chicken liver pieces, and then fried? do you have anything like an approximate recipe for this, bt?
nuts! my chopped chicken liver aspirations will have to be put on hold for awhile. as i was posting my questions re the chch liver recipe here, polyface farms ran out of chicken livers to sell! i'm hoping next week....
Old 10-22-2014, 07:44 AM   #18
Master Chef

Vit,

If you don't have sherry, try cognac or fresh lemon juice.

Also try making a batch of Chicken livers alla Caruso!

This video goes into great detail and uses Pomi tomatoes, in a box. I would just make a pot of sauce and freeze it in portions or use a good jarred sauce. When you are in the mood for Chicken livers alla Caruso just saute a few mushrooms and chicken livers dusted with seasoned flour, add a cup or two of sauce and dinner is ready in the time it takes to cook the pasta!

Old 10-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Vit,

If you don't have sherry, try cognac or fresh lemon juice.

Also try making a batch of Chicken livers alla Caruso!

This video goes into great detail and uses Pomi tomatoes, in a box. I would just make a pot of sauce and freeze it in portions or use a good jarred sauce. When you are in the mood for Chicken livers alla Caruso just saute a few mushrooms and chicken livers dusted with seasoned flour, add a cup or two of sauce and dinner is ready in the time it takes to cook the pasta!

chicken livers alla caruso looks positively scrumptious! ty, aunt bea. only, it seems the liver is cooking for nearly 1/2 hour, total, in that vid. do i want to be doing that? i've always thought chicken livers should be barely cooked through.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
well, that all sounds yummy too, bt. by chicken liver meatballs, do you mean a ground meat mixture combined with what(?)-- raw or lightly sauteed chicken liver pieces, and then fried? do you have anything like an approximate recipe for this, bt?
nuts! my chopped chicken liver aspirations will have to be put on hold for awhile. as i was posting my questions re the chch liver recipe here, polyface farms ran out of chicken livers to sell! i'm hoping next week....
i'm not exactly sure, vit, but i think he seared them off just a little, then chopped them fine and added an egg, breadcrumbs, and the herbs and garlic.

it's been a while since he made them.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None