Kentucky Fried Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know what kind of oil KFC uses now-a-days because
of the trans fat... but I think they use Canola oil now.
But don't quote me.

I'm convinced that a surprisingly generous amount of nutmeg is part of the secret. In my latest experiment I added 3/8 of a teaspoon of nutmeg to a cup of commercial breader that I like (Henny Penny), thought I detected a hint of KFC-ishness in the finished product, and felt as though about double that amount of nutmeg would probably have been closer to the real thing - believe it or not!

I also taste hints of things that strike my palate as citrusy and also licorice-ish in KFC. Coriander strikes me as citrusy so that might be the source of that. I've bathed chicken pieces in orange juice before breading them and it doesn't give the chicken an "off" flavor it just doesn't give it *enough* of the citrus-like thing I'm after. If there's coriander in KFC, I believe there's a surprisingly large amount of it per cup of flour, as with the nutmeg.

As to the licorice thing, maybe finely powdered terragon? Or even fennel? And sometimes certain types of basil get a bit of a licorice thing going on my palate. Of the three flavors I think I detect in KFC this is the one I'm least certain of, though.

After years of experimenting I'm surest of the nutmeg thing - and of the fact that the use of at least some of the herbs in KFC is not subtle, but in quantities per cup of flour that would surprise most cooks.

Nutmeg, Cloves, Cinnamon, Allspice

I agree with you on the Nutmeg! With all the ingredients we are sure of... it needs something sweet to offset the flavor and nutmeg is
a good candidate.

Here is my list that we are looking into Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Allspice...

Cloves is being discussed...

And Tarragon was just brought up tonight so that is being discussed as well... Excellent timing...

Oh, by the way, Add Ginger to the Proven list. Tommy Settle who
bought Colonel Sanders' Mansion found a 1964 diary and so KFC
sued the Settles... KFC calling their recipe a Stuffing recipe...!
that was when Tommy yelled out without thinking... Ginger is not
in a stuffing recipe and this recipe has lots of it!!!!!!!!

So Ginger has been officially been added to the above list.

Ellsworth:chef:

Last edited:
I found this...I have not tried it...

There are 11 herbs and spices in KFC total. Unless, of course, KFC lies about this and there are in fact 10, or 12, or any other number… which would be a pretty good way to keep it a secret if everyone works on the assumption that there are 11, which I am now going to do.

My assumptions also are that the ingredients will consist entirely of the commonly available ones, which is good because that eliminates about 80% of the possible herbs and spices in one fell swoop. My reasons are that firstly, it was made by some guy on his own in the middle of Kentucky, I doubt he had access to the more exotic herbs and spices the world has to offer. Secondly, with an obvious need to keep costs down, I believe KFC must use the cheapest, nastiest ingredients possible.

Based on this, here is my best guess at the 11 ingredients, in no particular order.

1. Salt – A given. It’s the main way of imparting flavour to the coating. Okay, being a mineral it’s not technically a herb or a spice but hey.

2+3. Pepper & Chile Powder – Also no brainers.

4. Turmeric – In my experimentations so far, Turmeric is the key spice for getting the right colour. It’s also a powerful flavour in it’s own right, but not one that really shouts at you when eating KFC, so a neutralising ingredient must be found. I expect this will be…

5. Cinnamon.

6. Paprika. One of those spices that doesn’t really seem to impact food in an overtly noticeable way – it’s things like this that will require a lot of experimentation to get the levels right.

7. Garlic, in the form of garlic powder. Another easy choice since it’s so bountiful and is a great way to instantly impart flavour to a dish.

8. Mustard. Again contributes to colour, and spicyness without being too ‘hot’ (remember I’m after original recipe, not hot wing recipe).

9. Coriander – Cheap, commonly available.

10. Oregano – see above.

11. Tarragon – because it goes so well with chicken.

Alot of studies on each ingredient in the past year at Colonel's Kitchen...
And the following we ruled out...

Turmeric - I liked this ingredient because of the color effect but was overruled. This was voted out.

Oregano - This was completely ruled out long time ago by general census.

Paprika - was also ruled out awhile back but I'm not convinced.

Cinnamon - is a Hot topic and is winning votes from all around. If we can prove it's in there, this would be on the list.

Tarragon - People are just now exploring this ingredient and will let you know of the findings soon.

I hope some of these helps you some... so many ingredients... so little time! lol.

Kentucky Fried Chicken Recipe (Best yet)

Kentucky Fried Chicken Recipe (Best yet)

Courtesy of The Colonel from the Colonel's Kitchen

Recipe #21

1. 3 tsp White Pepper
2. 2 tsp Black Pepper
3. 1/3 tsp Mustard
4. 1/2 tsp Garlic
5. 1/2 tsp Sage
6. 1/3 tsp Coriander
7. 1/3 tsp Celery Seed
8. 2/3 tsp Cardamom
9. 1/2 tsp Mace
10. 1/3 tsp Cloves
11. 1/3 tsp Cinnamon

Additives:

6.5 tsp Salt
1 tsp MSG
3 Cups A.P Flour

KFC Original Fried Chicken - Batch #3

This is my early attempts and let me say...

this is the best Fried Chicken recipe I ever created...
Might not be KFC but EVERYONE loves this recipe from what
I have been told over and over both family and work...

KFC Original Fried Chicken - Batch #3
Author: Ellsworth

6 pieces Chicken

2 tbsps Black Pepper (Ground)
2 tbsps Salt
1 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1 1/2 tsp Paprika
3/4 tsp Caraway Seeds (before Grinded)
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1/2 tsp Thyme (before Grinded)
1/2 tsp Sage (Rubbed)
1/2 tsp Allspice
1/4 tsp Celery Seeds (before Grinded)
1/2 tsp Rosemary (before Grinded)
1/2 tsp Basil (before Grinded)
1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/4 tsp Sugar

2 cups All-Purpose Flour
2 1/2 qts Fresh Wesson Vegetable Oil
2 oz Milk and one egg

Flour Mix:
Put flour and spices in a gallon zip lock bag or a paper bag and mix well.

Milk Mix:
Whisk milk and egg together in a bowl.
Drench 6-8 pieces of chicken in the milk mixture until well
coated then shake 2 pieces at a
time in the flour/spice mixture. Place coated chicken on a plate.

Pressure Cooking Method:
*** Warning - Please be very careful when using pressure cookers with oil - please read your owner's manual before attempting to try this cooking method!
Deep Fryer - 360 degrees, cook till the ckn is done.
Oven - 325 degrees, cook till the ckn is done.

I just don't know if nutmeg, cloves, allspice, cinnamon or mace
is in the Kentucky Fried Chicken????

Any thoughts?

Nutmeg tends to stand out for me (negatively), and I don't get that when I eat KFC. I can't believe nobody mentioned granulated onion until your recipe in December. There's no doubt in my mind that it's heavy on onion, both black and white pepper, and probably a sprinkle of cayenne for the kick. I think the other mystery spices are what gives it the depth of flavor it seems to have. Unfortunately the MSG is a problem for me, so I am happy to have your theories to play with and replicate!

The recipe is interesting and I think I will probably study this in depth, but what I also find interesting is that you have resurrected this thread today - February 2, 2009. Dove started it on February 2, 2004! Trust me to catch something like that!

Hello. New Here.

Hello. I just found this interesting site. I have been reading up on the comments relating to duplicating KFC. KFC has always been my favorite chicken, but I am not interested in having to drive to town to get it. I would like to learn how to make a good approximation of it at home.

I am a good cook in general, but have never been real good at frying chicken, so am trying to read up and learn from the experts.

I have always been very interested in unique combinations of spices and herbs to create just the sublte flavor that I want. I look forward to learning from those who are also interested in this and are perhaps much further down that path than I am. Thank You. John

KFC also soaks their chicken in a brine. I use 1 cup salt per 8 cups water, bay leaf, minced or crushed garlic and what ever spices you like. I have also done whole turkeys in the same brine (4 cups salt 32 cups water), it turns out excellent

Kentucky Fried Chicken (Close Clone Recipe)

3 Pounds Chicken

2 Packages Italian salad dressing mix

3 Tablespoons Flour

2 Teaspoons Salt

1/4 Cup Lemon juice

1 Cup Milk

1 1/2 Cups Pancake mix

1 Teaspoon Paprika

1/2 Teaspoon Sage

1/4 Teaspoon Pepper

Make a paste out of the marinade ingredients. Coat chicken evenly. Stack chicken pieces in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least for several hours. Mix pancake mix with other seasonings.

Dip pieces of chicken in milk, then in pancake coating. Dust off excess. Lightly brown in skillet with 1/2 inch vegetable oil in it. Brown for 4 minutes each side.

Remove and place in a single layer on shallow baking pan. Seal with foil. Bake for 1 hour at 350 Uncover and baste again with milk. Return, uncovered, to oven heated to 400, to crisp for 10 minutes.

2 jennyema: "the "secret seasonings" were added to flour. The chicken (which was not marinated) was floured, placed on sheet pans and then a stack of sheet pans were wheeled into the fryer, which was the size of a large refrigerator." Thanks for the info, O have always wondered how they do it.

u r correct it isn't marinated it is put in a brine mixture. I worked at KFC soaking and "flouring" the chicken pieces.

Being a 'snowbird' in Panamá, I have to report that the famous and wonderful flavor of KFC does not exist here. Only in America have I found that amazing taste of real KFC. Mmmm, good!

Back
Top Bottom