"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2009, 02:09 AM   #71
Certified Cake Maniac

The recipe is interesting and I think I will probably study this in depth, but what I also find interesting is that you have resurrected this thread today - February 2, 2009. Dove started it on February 2, 2004! Trust me to catch something like that!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #72
Cook

Hello. New Here.

Hello. I just found this interesting site. I have been reading up on the comments relating to duplicating KFC. KFC has always been my favorite chicken, but I am not interested in having to drive to town to get it. I would like to learn how to make a good approximation of it at home.

I am a good cook in general, but have never been real good at frying chicken, so am trying to read up and learn from the experts.

I have always been very interested in unique combinations of spices and herbs to create just the sublte flavor that I want. I look forward to learning from those who are also interested in this and are perhaps much further down that path than I am. Thank You. John

Old 03-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #73
Assistant Cook

KFC also soaks their chicken in a brine. I use 1 cup salt per 8 cups water, bay leaf, minced or crushed garlic and what ever spices you like. I have also done whole turkeys in the same brine (4 cups salt 32 cups water), it turns out excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove View Post
Kentucky Fried Chicken (Close Clone Recipe)

3 Pounds Chicken

2 Packages Italian salad dressing mix

3 Tablespoons Flour

2 Teaspoons Salt

1/4 Cup Lemon juice

1 Cup Milk

1 1/2 Cups Pancake mix

1 Teaspoon Paprika

1/2 Teaspoon Sage

1/4 Teaspoon Pepper

Make a paste out of the marinade ingredients. Coat chicken evenly. Stack chicken pieces in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least for several hours. Mix pancake mix with other seasonings.

Dip pieces of chicken in milk, then in pancake coating. Dust off excess. Lightly brown in skillet with 1/2 inch vegetable oil in it. Brown for 4 minutes each side.

Remove and place in a single layer on shallow baking pan. Seal with foil. Bake for 1 hour at 350 Uncover and baste again with milk. Return, uncovered, to oven heated to 400, to crisp for 10 minutes.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:36 AM   #74
Assistant Cook

2 jennyema: "the "secret seasonings" were added to flour. The chicken (which was not marinated) was floured, placed on sheet pans and then a stack of sheet pans were wheeled into the fryer, which was the size of a large refrigerator." Thanks for the info, O have always wondered how they do it.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #75
Assistant Cook

u r correct it isn't marinated it is put in a brine mixture. I worked at KFC soaking and "flouring" the chicken pieces.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #76
Executive Chef

Being a 'snowbird' in Panamá, I have to report that the famous and wonderful flavor of KFC does not exist here. Only in America have I found that amazing taste of real KFC. Mmmm, good!
Old 06-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #77
Executive Chef

That chicken sounds good Dove. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Tags
kfc, nutmeg