"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #21
Executive Chef

I too can't determine if this thread is about Wild Rice, Wild Turkey whiskey or about Leftover Turkey, or Leftovers in General. Since I have none of the above. I will have to Create my own. It's one of the disadvantages of eating with the In-laws on Thanksgiving. No Leftovers sent home. No big deal. My BIL did Slip me a good size jar of Gravy. Betcha thought I was gonna say a pint jar of the Good Stuff Imported from Kentucky.

I went to the store early this am and picked up a fresh turkey breast, on sale, and I will grill that tomorrow ( too busy today), using some apple wood chips I have, so it might take on a little smoke. And A new batch of cranberry sauce and some crock pot stuffing with sausage, apples, onion, sage, & a little fresh rosemary etc.

I'll ask me DxW if she wants to come for dinner tomorrow night, or if she wants me to bring all the plastic bowls of leftovers for Sandwich Makings to her place Sunday and we can have an in-door picnic while watching Football.

Or Both. Now That's How Leftovers are supposed to be--There's Plenty.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Sounds good. I made a wild one a number of years ago, and realized why man domesticated the turkey. It was dry and tough. If I were to do it again I'd not use my normal years-old methods. More fat, more moisture. But I have to say it made great leftovers for soups, stews, most importantly cassoulet. If I do it again, I'll approach it differently.
Seems to me that I remember a story about you, a Three wild turkeys, and a wisecracking husband.

Ah, but Claire, it was only a story. You , on the other hand, are a legend.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #23
Cook

Turkey and stuffing with gravy on a kaiser bun :)
Old 11-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #24
Head Chef

I think I"m just going to make a turkey pot pie. Maybe some sandwiches too. I got the left over turkey in the refrigerator so I have to do something with it this weekend. The bone and some of the meat sticking to the bone is in the freezer. I might make a broth with it in the future.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've also done a layered casserole of ( from the bottom up) turkey, stuffing,scalloped corn, green beans, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, poked holes in it and poured gravy over all. Baked. And it freezes well, Thanksgiving in July!
Old 11-26-2011, 06:53 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I've also done a layered casserole of ( from the bottom up) turkey, stuffing,scalloped corn, green beans, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, poked holes in it and poured gravy over all. Baked. And it freezes well, Thanksgiving in July!
Oh--you can bring that to LOW!
Old 11-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #27
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
The Lundberg's wild rice is a blend of several brown rices as well as the wild. Unfortunately, although the rice came out just right, the cheap turkey I bought didn't.

Next year I'll buy a Butterball turkey and d**m the price.

I'm changing the title. I thought of a play on Wild Turkey whiskey, but realized later, it would sound like wild turkey the bird.
I bought a cheap turkey this year, too. I checked the temp an hour before it was supposed to be done...lucky thing. It was almost done and only took another twenty minutes. Came out perfect. The cheaper ones have water added, I think, and cook faster. If you go by time rather than temperature, they're bound to be dry. Since there was none left over, I will probably go to the market today and buy another, even cheaper right after Thanksgiving priced turkey.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I did go by temperature - 165°. I kept the bird covered completely, including the roasting pan until the last 1/2 hour. It was tough last year too. I hesitate to brine because I have very high blood pressure.

Fortunately, I can cook the leftovers in stock or gravy until it's tender.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #29
Executive Chef

I do several turkeys a year...soup sandwiches, divan, enchiladas, you name it...why not?!
Old 11-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
I do several turkeys a year...soup sandwiches, divan, enchiladas, you name it...why not?!
Exactly, why not? We stock up at Thanksgiving and Christmas. We don't roast turkeys in the summer months, but October to April, we typically roast a turkey a month--why not? We don't always stuff them.

Tags
recipe, turkey, wild rice

Leftover Turkey Since I already made my turkey (couldn't wait), I'm making the first of my planned leftover dishes. 1 C wild rice (Lundberg's) 2 C giblet stock (salted) Giblet meat from stock 1 turkey thigh, stripped and chopped 1/4 package frozen mixed vegetables 1/8 tsp. poultry seasoning Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 50 minutes. Let stand off the burner, covered another 10 minutes.:chef: 3 stars 1 reviews