Marinating Chicken in Buttermilk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jennyema said:
It's a whole chicken? You can do overnight depending on what's in the marinade. Since you are going to cook it tonight, I'd say, for a whole chicken, maybe 4 hours. 6 would work, 2's probably the minimum, IMO.

Yes, I'm talking about whole chickens. Though I have used the same marinade on smaller cuts of chicken, to be baked on parchment paper on a flat rectangular pan. The overnight question is for future reference, in the event that I might be seasoning more than one chicken at a time.

BTW, when I'm doing the rub on the chicken, I usually add in plenty of chopped rosemary, freshly picked from the plant on the deck.

I'd say this would definately benefit from overnigiht. It sounds wonderful! And if you ever run out of rosemary I have a 4' high x 4' wide "bush" in front of my house! I'll have to search for some preserved lemons. I'd love to make this recipe.

kitchenelf said:
I'd say this would definately benefit from overnigiht. It sounds wonderful! And if you ever run out of rosemary I have a 4' high x 4' wide "bush" in front of my house! I'll have to SEARCH for some preserved lemons. I'd love to make this recipe.

Yes, I agree that the preserved lemon does have a more aromatic flavor. It is definitely an acquired taste. However, I'm afraid your "search" might yield more disappointment than not.
Here's how I've been making my own Preserved Lemon & Rosemary, in detail this time:

1. Cut Lemons into sections of 6 (remembering that the Lemon Peel is the most tasty part in the end product),
2. Plenty of freshly picked Rosemary,
3. Plenty of Pickling Salt,
4. A good supply of Pickling Jars
5. Mix ingredients well, stuff full into jars
6. Wait for lemons to turn brown in color (about 6 months' time)

I've already mentioned the fact about blending the sections of lemon (with some of the juice) into puree before using it as a marinade for the rub. I've also use this rub on filets of sole, on a thin layer of tofu, to be steamed. Roasting whole chicken on a vertical rack in a shallow pan of water is a sight to behold: As the artery-clogging chicken fat is literally oozing out of the beautifully browning bird, to be discarded swiftly out of mind, later. This conjours up the image of the TV commercial of the girl with a partially sunburned face, as a result from watching the rising Delissio Pizza in the oven, on the night before the yearbook photo shoot!

BTW, You have no idea how good was the Roasted Lemon Turkey, during the recent Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. Speaking with experience, the Roasted Lemon Chicken is a sure winner at potluck dinners, as well as the jar of Preserved Lemon & Rosemary as a conversation piece; not to mention the fact that it is a thoughtful, economical, and an organic-food gift.

ENJOY!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom