"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-16-2004, 08:35 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Roast Chicken

Roast Chicken

Roast Chicken

The secret to great roasted poultry that is flavorful, tender and moist is very simple. So simple that I marvel that more people donít do it. It requires a little time and effort but no more so than many other dishes and it ensures a great tasting, moist bird. This technique is brining. That is, soaking the bird in brine for 12 hours or more and allowing it to absorb juices and flavor from the brine. No, it is not the same as a marinade at all. Though there are a few similarities. Brine is a solution that contains a large amount of liquid and a disproportionate amount of salt. The salt causes the poultry to absorb moisture and retain it during the cooking process. By adding flavoring agents to this brine you also cause them to be absorbed and retained. Try this method for your next Roast Chicken. You will impress yourself as well as your guests. Oh yeah, before I forget, try this one with Turkey as well. Even the breast meat will positively ooze moisture. This dish is a family favorite that disappears so fast that leftovers donít even come in to the picture.

1 Roasting Hen 6-7 lbs.
2 qt. Vegetable Stock
2 qt. Water
2 cups Orange Juice
2 cups White Wine
1/2 cup Salt
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Allspice
1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
2 Lemons, chopped
1 large onion, Chopped
10-12 sprigs Fresh Rosemary
2 Ribs Celery, chopped
12 Cloves Garlic, chopped finely
1 tsp. Black Pepper
1/8 tsp. Dried Sage
1/8 tsp. Dried Thyme

Wash the hen well and pat dry. Prepare the brine by combining the stock, water, wine, orange juice, salt, brown sugar, allspice and red pepper flakes in a large stockpot. Bring this to a boil over high heat stirring often. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely. Once cool, immerse the chicken in the brine and place it in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours. After it has soaked for the proper amount of time, remove the chicken to a colander and allow it to drain for about 10 minutes. Insert a butter knife between the skin and the meat and loosen the skin around the breasts. Insert half the garlic and half the Rosemary sprigs under the skin. Chop the rest of the Rosemary and, in a bowl, combine with the lemons, onion, celery, the rest of the garlic, black pepper, sage and thyme. Let this mixture stand for about 10 minutes then put it into the cavity of the Chicken. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and place the chicken on a frame in a roasting pan. Salt and pepper the chicken well and place into the oven. Cook for approximately 2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees. Let stand for 15 minutes and carve.

Copyright 2003 The Bubba Gourmet Steve Lapan

Old 02-16-2004, 08:54 PM   #2
Senior Cook

guess how i'm cooking my next chicken
that sounds great!

Wine in a box is better than no wine at all.
carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 05:48 PM   #3
Senior Cook

You can also buy kosher chickens; they come pre-brined, and are only slightly more expensive.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:07 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to RockAndFire
Thank you. Now I finally have an excuse to upgrade from my 6qt. stock pot : )
Old 05-06-2004, 03:17 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

I've wanted to do a brine so this sounds fantastic. I was watching America's Test Kitchen on PBS and they used a brined chicken on the barbeque. I think your brine would work well too. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2004, 01:39 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
I always brine my chicken breast in salt-water. I did A experiment once. I baked A brined chicken breast, and one that wasn't. The brined breast was much more juicy. It really is worth the time to brine food. I do my turkeys with A recipe simular to yours Bubba. Is this brining process called "osmosis"? Thanx for the info. I'm gonna try your Roast chicken sometime soon!
Old 05-09-2004, 09:09 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Actually, osmosis occurs during the brining. The area of high density (the moisture in the chicken) moves into the area of low density (the brine) then the whole scmeer moves back into the chicken. Now...don't you wish you had paid attention in Science classes?
Old 05-09-2004, 12:21 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I just bought four roasting chickens a few days ago, very timely advice, BubbaGourmet! Thanks much! I wasn't aware of the brining technique! :D
Old 05-09-2004, 12:39 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Follow-up question, BubbaGourmet. I'm a huge grilled chicken breast freak. Will the brining technique help when cooking over charcoal? I've noticed that marinade does a fine job of keeping the chicken moist and was wondering if brining would just be a waste of time?
Old 05-09-2004, 06:44 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaGourmet
Actually, osmosis occurs during the brining. The area of high density (the moisture in the chicken) moves into the area of low density (the brine) then the whole scmeer moves back into the chicken. Now...don't you wish you had paid attention in Science classes?
High density and low density? I've always read that the chemistry behind brining involves solutions of differing salinity seeking equilibrium when in contact. Osmosis, yes, but I don't see where density plays a role.

Tags
None