Is roasting nuts dangerous?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SlowCook66

Cook
Hi,

I am roasting nuts in the oven at about 275C for 40 min. I came across this article:

=======
The Bottom Line. Both raw and roasted nuts are good for you and provide health benefits. Both varieties contain similar amounts of calories, protein, carbs and fiber. However, roasting nuts may damage their healthy fat, reduce their nutrient content and lead to the formation of a harmful substance called acrylamide.
=======

Are we not allowed to roast nuts ??? 😨

Will I be poisoning people if I roast nuts in the oven?

Any advice on how to avoid this ??

Thanks

It's complicated, and a good example of "reductive nutritional science" where focusing on quantifying and functionalizing the individual nutrients in a food and isolating an effect as opposed to looking at a food in the context of our overall health.

To actually get nuts heated to the point where this is actually happening "forming acrylamide" and consuming enough of these nuts where this conversion has taken place over a timeline where it would actually effect someone's health is impossible to say and anyone that says otherwise has another agenda where this supports their arguments.

Can the odd consumption of burnt nuts or overcooked caramel cause people irrefutable health damage over their lifetime with inconvertible proof, no they can't, not even in the realm of reality, unfortunately this is the basis paradigm of western medicine and I don't see this changing anytime soon and it's pretty much based on epidemiological observations. I just saw another editorial disputing the health benefits of eggs. Eggs are high in "choline" and choline is converted in the gut into trimethylamine, which, after being oxidized by our liver, may promote inflammation and result in cancer progression. I wonder who or which organization would use this in their messaging? Oh no, I've eaten lots of eggs all my life, I'm doomed to poor health at 70 I guess. :giggle:

Anyway, yes we can and should roast nuts, it promotes better shelf life, improved the flavor, texture and digestibility, also helps reduce the natural compounds that can inhibit the absorption of vitamins, just don't overcook them.

Last edited:
It's complicated, and a good example of "reductive nutritional science" where focusing on quantifying and functionalizing the individual nutrients in a food and isolating an effect as opposed to looking at a food in the context of our overall health.

To actually get nuts heated to the point where this is actually happening "forming acrylamide" and consuming enough of these nuts where this conversion has taken place over a timeline where it would actually effect someone's health is impossible to say and anyone that says otherwise has another agenda where this supports their arguments.

Can the odd consumption of burnt nuts or overcooked caramel cause people irrefutable health damage over their lifetime with inconvertible proof, no they can't, not even in the realm of reality, unfortunately this is the basis paradigm of western medicine and I don't see this changing anytime soon and it's pretty much based on epidemiological observations. I just saw another editorial disputing the health benefits of eggs. Eggs are high in "choline" and choline is converted in the gut into trimethylamine, which, after being oxidized by our liver, may promote inflammation and result in cancer progression. I wonder who or which organization would use this in their messaging? Oh no, I've eaten lots of eggs all my life, I'm doomed to poor health at 70 I guess. :giggle:

Anyway, yes we can and should roast nuts, it promotes better shelf life, improved the flavor, texture and digestibility, also helps reduce the natural compounds that can inhibit the absorption of vitamins, just don't overcook them.
Thanks for your input ! Great insight, I will slightly continue to roast nuts 👍

275ºC for 40 minutes seems like overkill for roasting nuts.What kind of nuts are you roasting? Are they still in the shell?

275ºC for 40 minutes seems like overkill for roasting nuts.What kind of nuts are you roasting? Are they still in the shell?
It's actually better and healthier to roast nuts at a lower temp for a longer time and that temp and time is about right. Of course you should never walk away from roasting nuts for example and I'd probably mix them around occasionally but it's almost impossible to overcook them with this method. imo.

It's actually better and healthier to roast nuts at a lower temp for a longer time and that temp and time is about right. Of course you should never walk away from roasting nuts for example and I'd probably mix them around occasionally but it's almost impossible to overcook them with this method. imo.
I agree. However, I don't consider 275ºC a low temp. That works out to 527ºF!

I figured they weren't roasting at 275°C, for 40 min, as that is at 527°F. Any nuts would be burnt, by then. Maybe they converted C to F, but forgot to change the C when typing it in?

Haha, hell no, I was thinking F and I never even saw the C. It's funny though, even in Canada in a professional kitchen pretty much every chef thinks in F. :w00t2:

I figured they weren't roasting at 275°C, for 40 min, as that is at 527°F. Any nuts would be burnt, by then. Maybe they converted C to F, but forgot to change the C when typing it in?
I set my oven to 275… could be F??
Anyways I cook the nuts on a pot with cherries and some sugar and then put them in oven 🤷🏻‍♂️

I set my oven to 275… could be F??
Anyways I cook the nuts on a pot with cherries and some sugar and then put them in oven
Adding liquid (cherries) and sugar means you are candying the nuts not roasting. Roasting requires dry heat and dry nuts.

Are you using a recipe?

Nope I’m just experimenting 😬

Come to think of it I should of roasted the nuts and then add the cherries and cranberries

Most stoves/ovens in Canada are in Fahrenheit. Maybe they will slowly change over to Celsius but I doubt it as majority are manufactured in the US, IMHO. High-end contraptions brought in from overseas might but probably only if you have an extra 70,000$ to spare.

Most stoves/ovens in Canada are in Fahrenheit. Maybe they will slowly change over to Celsius but I doubt it as majority are manufactured in the US, IMHO. High-end contraptions brought in from overseas might but probably only if you have an extra 70,000$ to spare.

I'm thinking it would not be hard to make F or C a programable user's choice. My $8 digital probe thermometer has a button for that, why can't an oven?

CD

Nuts will continue to cook after you remove them from the oven due to the high oil/ fat content . I remember the first time I roasted home grown raw peanuts. I dont remember the temp, but it was on relatively low for about 20 minutes. When I took them out, they didnt look done to me, so I put them back in. I took them out when they looked ' right' and sure enough, they continued to cook and ultimately had a burnt flavor ( and got very dark). I was pissed off cause they were home grown, and I ruined them. Luckily I was kinda smart, and knowing I never did it before, I broke it up into several small batches. The second time I followed the instructions, and it worked like a charm. You could actually hear them cooking ( a slight sizzle) when you take them out of the oven.

Canada does metric in odd ways. Weight is in kgs for pets at the vet, but lbs. for people. Temperature is in Celsius, except for cooking, swimming pools, and very often for people.

There is a very large influence from the very large country just to the south of us.

Canada does metric in odd ways. Weight is in kgs for pets at the vet, but lbs. for people. Temperature is in Celsius, except for cooking, swimming pools, and very often for people.

There is a very large influence from the very large country just to the south of us.

I still don't know why Canadian's can't choose Celsius or Fahrenheit for their oven displays.

The analog speedometer display in my car shows both MPH and KPH, and I can chose which one I use for the digital speed display. Actually, I can change the temperature for the climate control system from F to C, too. It takes about ten seconds to do both. This is easy stuff.

Have you looked into the possibility that you can do this on your ovens?

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom