Is roasting nuts dangerous?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm thinking it would not be hard to make F or C a programable user's choice. My $8 digital probe thermometer has a button for that, why can't an oven?

CD
Casey, can you do it on your oven? Not talking about your probe but your oven. If so, what is the brand name? Not forgetting that the majority of home ovens are not digital. New ones are but there are still new non-digitals out there. All Fahrenheit. ;)

I still don't know why Canadian's can't choose Celsius or Fahrenheit for their oven displays.

The analog speedometer display in my car shows both MPH and KPH, and I can chose which one I use for the digital speed display. Actually, I can change the temperature for the climate control system from F to C, too. It takes about ten seconds to do both. This is easy stuff.

Have you looked into the possibility that you can do this on your ovens?

CD
We overwhelmingly use US recipes. Those are all in Fahrenheit. My oven has the Celsius numbers and markings along with the Fahrenheit, just like they did with cars before they got electronic.

It's because the US stubbornly refuses to use Celsius that we are stuck with so much Fahrenheit and other leftover Imperial system measurements. Well, there are also old codgers here in Canada who refuse to give up on Fahrenheit, etc. A certain "member of the site team" here comes to mind. She always writes weather temps in Fahrenheit.
Runs and hides.

Casey, can you do it on your oven? Not talking about your probe but your oven. If so, what is the brand name? Not forgetting that the majority of home ovens are not digital. New ones are but there are still new non-digitals out there. All Fahrenheit. ;)

My oven is 23 years old, and it's a Sears Kenmore, so I doubt it can do anything new. Besides, I don't need an oven that can do celsius, I've never cared.

If you want celsius on your ovens in Canada, demand it. Like I said, it is not rocket science, so if consumers demand it, the manufactures will most likely make both C and F choosable.

I also did some research, and found that most recipes that aren't new list temperatures in Fahrenheit. Many still use cups an ounces for measurements.

BTW, we use a mix of metric and Imperial in the US, too. Beer comes in 12 or 16 oz cans, wine and spirits come in 750ml or 1.75L bottles. My tool cabinet has complete sets of wrenches and sockets in SAE and Metric because you need both if you want to fix things in the US.

CD

We overwhelmingly use US recipes. Those are all in Fahrenheit. My oven has the Celsius numbers and markings along with the Fahrenheit, just like they did with cars before they got electronic.

It's because the US stubbornly refuses to use Celsius that we are stuck with so much Fahrenheit and other leftover Imperial system measurements. Well, there are also old codgers here in Canada who refuse to give up on Fahrenheit, etc. A certain "member of the site team" here comes to mind. She always writes weather temps in Fahrenheit.
Runs and hides.

Or, Canadians stubbornly refuse to use Fahrenheit, which is more precise. Every 1 degree C is 1.8 degrees F. ;)

CD

When Canada converted to metric in 1970 we got use to those conversions that effected our every day life the most. For example, all television referred to temperature in celsius and the road signs were in kilometers and Canadians over the years and decades as new generations evolved these were taken for granted and now are considered normal. Kitchen's were for the most part in 1970, analog, there was no internet and we bought cook books which for decades still referred to measurements in Imperial, and most still do, except baking where old professional cookbooks will have used metric. These exceptions like bakeries and restaurant chefs would use metric and use a scale for baking and that's been around before Canada converted to metric, it just made sense for that particular methodology. It's basically practical evolution and as soon as Canada starts converting oven to metric there will still be decades for that evolution to evolve where it becomes common speak as people begin to replace their ovens which in some cases, will never happen. It's like the French language in Quebec, there is a difference from Parisienne. Kinda lol imo.

Last edited:
My dream is that the U.S. will convert to metric and Celsius in my lifetime.

I'd be okay with metric for some things, but IMO, Fahrenheit is a superior standard for temperature, for one reason I've already mentioned. When talking about weather, 70F in celsius is 21C, and 71F in Celsius is 21C. I don't want to say that the high temperature today was 21.111C, or it was 21.667C. It was either 70F or 71F.

For cooking temperatures, I'm okay with rounding the conversion of 350F to to 175C, or 400F to 200C. It won't make a difference in the outcome of the cooked food. But, I don't want to use two standards, one for weather and one for cooking, so I'd rather stick to Fahrenheit.

For cooking measures, metric (as in grams) is a better system, IMO. Ounces and cups have variables. Is it 1 cup liquid, or 1 cup dry? They are not the same. Weight is weight, so 500 grams is 500 grams. That makes sense for measuring quantities.

CD

I like the easy numbers in Celsius: 0°C is the temperature that water freezes. 100°C is the temperature that water boils. 37.0°C is normal body temperature. 38.0°C is a fever. Okay, in reality, none of those numbers is that under all circumstances.

Actually, I think if you're going to use almonds in anything, you should roast them. I might be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that they could be poisonous if they were eaten raw. If you put them in cookies and things like that, I'm sure they cook along with whatever you're baking.

But when I make my shrimp dish and add almonds to it, I always roast the almonds first. I usually roast them at 350° until they're brown. I have to remember to stir them or some of them get over roasted and some don't roast at all. But what I don't use in my recipe, I save to eat later on and they're sure good. Raw almonds taste awful.

Actually, I think if you're going to use almonds in anything, you should roast them. I might be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that they could be poisonous if they were eaten raw. If you put them in cookies and things like that, I'm sure they cook along with whatever you're baking.

But when I make my shrimp dish and add almonds to it, I always roast the almonds first. I usually roast them at 350° until they're brown. I have to remember to stir them or some of them get over roasted and some don't roast at all. But what I don't use in my recipe, I save to eat later on and they're sure good. Raw almonds taste awful.
FYI, true if they were completely raw, they could be dangerous to eat but most commercial growers (California acres and acres of them, pollinated by trucked in honey bees), treat them with a moist pasteurization. They have to be treated to keep bacteria levels low. It isn't important to roast almonds before eating them, due to the pasteurization they go through before they are sold. They aren't raw though and there is a confusion since they aren't raw and they aren't roasted, they are considered 'raw' even though pasteurized.
They haven't been roasted unless they say they are roasted. See how confusing it is?

FYI, true if they were completely raw, they could be dangerous to eat but most commercial growers (California acres and acres of them, pollinated by trucked in honey bees), treat them with a moist pasteurization. They have to be treated to keep bacteria levels low. It isn't important to roast almonds before eating them, due to the pasteurization they go through before they are sold. They aren't raw though and there is a confusion since they aren't raw and they aren't roasted, they are considered 'raw' even though pasteurized.
They haven't been roasted unless they say they are roasted. See how confusing it is?
I don't think it's confusing. Pasteurizing almonds is usually done by exposing them to steam for a short period of time, like about 60 seconds, to kill surface bacteria. The interior of the nuts isn't heated, so the flavor doesn't change. It's actually required by law before they can be sold.

We have two almond trees, and get a nice crop every other year (pecan trees do the same, and you pray all your trees aren't on the same schedule!). After we shell the almonds they are roasted lightly to the fragrant stage, then frozen for later use. Since our almonds are not eaten out of hand but used in cooking and baking, they get cooked twice and so far have been totally safe.

Runs and hides.
Canada's mixing of units of measure is the Gateway for the US to convert to metrics. Convince me that I'm wrong. ;)

Canada's mixing of units of measure is the Gateway for the US to convert to metrics. Convince me that I'm wrong. ;)
I hope you are right. Funny thing, the US legislated metric way back in the 1800s. It just wasn't mandated to be the only system and it seems hard to get everyone onboard. And the US was one of the first countries to switch to decimal money.

We already do mix them in the US. I have two full sets of hand tools, because I need to have both SAE and Metric tools to fix things. I'm a photographer, and camera lenses are all metric focal lengths, and have been since long before I was born.

Milk is sold in pints, quarts, half-gallons and gallons. Booze is sold in 750ML and 1.75L bottles. The weight on the front of packaged foods usually list ounces, but the nutritional labels on the back of the same packages list protein and fat in grams.

I personally have no problem cooking from a recipe written in Imperial or Metric measures. My measuring cups and kitchen scale can measure both.

As mentioned before, I do prefer F to C for temperature, but I have an app on my iPhone to do the conversions instantly, so I can cope with either, if I need to.

CD

Last edited:
Going to nit pick here. The US does not use Imperial measure. That's what Canada and GB used before metrification. For example, in an Imperial quart there are 40 ounces, not 32. They are also larger than US quarts. The US adopted US Customary Measure as a standard a while after the Brits switched from English Measure to Imperial Measure. The US was still using English Measure until they switched to US Customary.

Going to nit pick here. The US does not use Imperial measure. That's what Canada and GB used before metrification. For example, in an Imperial quart there are 40 ounces, not 32. They are also larger than US quarts. The US adopted US Customary Measure as a standard a while after the Brits switched from English Measure to Imperial Measure. The US was still using English Measure until they switched to US Customary.

I was hesitant to use the word "Imperial," because I was pretty sure that was wrong. I never heard the term US Customary Measure before now. Thanks.

CD

We already do mix them in the US. I have two full sets of hand tools, because I need to have both SAE and Metric tools to fix things. I'm a photographer, and camera lenses are all metric focal lengths, and have been since long before I was born.

Milk is sold in pints, quarts, half-gallons and gallons. Booze is sold in 750ML and 1.75L bottles. The weight on the front of packaged foods usually list ounces, but the nutritional labels on the back of the same packages list protein and fat in grams.

I personally have no problem cooking from a recipe written in Imperial or Metric measures. My measuring cups and kitchen scale can measure both.

As mentioned before, I do prefer F to C for temperature, but I have an app on my iPhone to do the conversions instantly, so I can cope with either, if I need to.

CD

BTW, I have also driven all over the UK on the wrong side of the road, and had no problems. I've even driven cars with the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car, while shifting manually with my left hand. Luckily, the Brits didn't rearrange the bloody pedals. :ROFLMAO:

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom