"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
View Poll Results: To Stuff or Not to Stuff?
yes 11 55.00%
no 9 45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2004, 06:17 AM   #31
Sous Chef

There was a time when everybody stuffed their turkeys, but back then, we were ignorant. Now that we know better, we make dressing because we don't like overcooked turkeys which is what you get when the stuffing is heated in the bird to a safe temperature.

Besides, the last few years, we've been deep frying our turkeys.

Old 11-13-2004, 06:23 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiguyy
There was a time when everybody stuffed their turkeys, but back then, we were ignorant. Now that we know better, we make dressing because we don't like overcooked turkeys which is what you get when the stuffing is heated in the bird to a safe temperature.

Why is it that when some people do something, or like something that becomes "the norm", those who don't become ignorant? Why can't we just like different things?

I do not know any black people who like turkey any other way except well done [not saying there isn't any]. I am sure that is true for some white people also.

Let us not be so judgmental and lofty. Different strokes for different folks --not good, not bad....just different.

Old 11-13-2004, 07:51 AM   #33
Master Chef

Me no black. Me no white. Me no Native American. Me just people, a child of my creator.

And I like my turkey very juicy and tender. But then again, I love good dressing. Just can't seem to get the hang of making the stuff. The dressing is more important to me than is the turkey. But I have to admit, left-overs of open faced turkey and dressing sandwiches, drowned in a corn-starch thickened turkey gravy and a side of sweet spuds is something I could scarecly live without. :D

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 11:05 AM   #34
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Ruth
Ok, here is a radical thought....

What if you heat up your stuffing first, making sure it gets up to the required 150-160 degrees (sorry can't remember the exact number off the top of my head) and THEN put it in the bird already hot. While it might take too long to bring cold or room temperature stuffing up to the right temperature to be safe and not have the bird be overdone, already heated up stuffing should make it to the right temperature while the bird is still moist, right? As a result, your stuffing should end up moist, mushy and with all the yummy flavors you get from cooking it in the bird.

Now, this is just a theory, I haven't tested it out yet, so don't anyone go and try this a blame me if they get sick. But can any of the more medically or scientifically knowledgeable cooks among us weigh in on my theory and let me know if it holds water?
Old 11-13-2004, 01:51 PM   #35
Master Chef

I would suspect you are correct. In fact, the hot stuffing may even shorten the turkey cooking time.

However, this is jsut conjecture on my part. I would recomend using two thermometers, one in the thickest part of the bird, and the other inserted to the stuffing center. This will tell you everything you need to know.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 02:39 PM   #36
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiguyy

Why is it that when some people do something, or like something that becomes "the norm", those who don't become ignorant? Why can't we just like different things?

I do not know any black people who like turkey any other way except well done [not saying there isn't any]. I am sure that is true for some white people also.

Let us not be so judgmental and lofty. Different strokes for different folks --not good, not bad....just different.

I guess my humor tends to fly over other people's heads. The point I was trying to make that until we're told something is wrong, we keep doing it for years and years with little harm. Fact is, in years past, food handling was done differently, so salmonella wasn't spread so easily.

Looking at it another way, we are blissfully ignorant until we're told different. At that point, we suddenly imagine seeing kids walking around with one eye because the other got poked by some pointed toy. In the case of food, we suddenly imagine seeing hordes of people going to the emergency room with a case of liquids coming out both ends. Take the case of seatbelts. All of us older folks should be dead because as a child, we rode in the front seats without seatbelts.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:30 PM   #37

I am sorry. I guess I did misunderstand. I can be so Literal!
Old 11-13-2004, 04:43 PM   #38
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
I am sorry. I guess I did misunderstand. I can be so Literal!
Sometimes, I'm too subtle for my own good. Glad I had a chance to clear that up.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:02 PM   #39

:D
Old 11-14-2004, 03:23 PM   #40
Certified Pretend Chef

Ruth:

Sorry I didn't get back to post the Alton Brown link, I missed this post on later visits.

Jennyema:

Thanks for posting that link in my absence.

If you like stuffing in the bird, try deboning the turkey then stuffing and and rolling it. It cooks quickly so there is much less chance it will dry out and it's a breeze to carve - er, slice.

Tags
None