"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Andy, I have a problem doing that. I am too short to reach the buzzer to alert them in the back room. So since they are always putting fresh products out, I just wait until someone comes out.

I do stand outside in every rainstorm hoping it will help me grow. If that doesn't start working soon, I am going to have to find some cow patties to stand in.
Ask a tall person nearby to press the buzzer for you, just like some people ask a tall person to get something from a top shelf

Old 11-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Ask a tall person nearby to press the buzzer for you, just like some people ask a tall person to get something from a top shelf
I am always doing that. Just about anything I usually buy is on the top shelf. Being only 4'8" is no picnic.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I rarely see turkey parts sold here. You'll see whole turkeys and breasts frozen and fresh close to the holidays, but the individual parts are rare to find. I have seen smoked wings on occasion.

I would love to see bone in 1/2 turkey breasts year round, I would cook them often.
If you shop in a grocery store with a real meat department ask them to saw a whole frozen turkey or breast in half. The bag of giblets in the whole turkey gets chewed up, not a big problem though.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
If you shop in a grocery store with a real meat department ask them to saw a whole frozen turkey or breast in half. The bag of giblets in the whole turkey gets chewed up, not a big problem though.
I know where I work, pork and beef can be run across the saw but not poultry, I'm not sure if it is a company policy or a state health department thing. Poultry can't be run through the grinders either.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
I know where I work, pork and beef can be run across the saw but not poultry, I'm not sure if it is a company policy or a state health department thing. Poultry can't be run through the grinders either.
I need to check next time I hit the market, it never used to be a problem.

The poultry police strike again!
Old 11-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Most big grocery stores have more than one saw. The store I shop at is the newest and largest one in their chain. There is no way they could keep up with the demand with just one saw. So I am sure that at least one saw is designated just for poultry. I do know they have six grinders. They are right near the window. I do know that in this state, in bakeries, meat departments, etc. all equipment that handles raw foods such as eggs, meat, etc. has to be broken down at the end of the day, cleaned and sterilized. Since my store shuts down their back room at seven o'clock p.m., they break down throughout the day different pieces of equipment.

At my store, the back room is huge and has a large window the public can watch through. I have seen at least four workers standing at a saw cutting up animals. I am sure one of them were doing poultry.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #47
Executive Chef

My store always has turkey parts. They must sell in my area. They have to do something with them if they want to sell breasts! One time I bought a frozen turkey and it was missing a wing! LOL I usually tuck the wings behind, but his one wing was just waving in the air with nothing to tuck!
Old 11-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
No Bilo, Publix (one being built, opening next year), Ingles. I do work at a Food Lion but my store doesn't carry the parts any time but during the holidays.
We do have Kroger, Harris Teeter, Lowes, Whole Foods, Fresh Market etc.. I haven't noticed it in these store on the regular, maybe it's the area?
Maybe the area? I know those stores here sell them. We have all but Lowes. Our Lowes is a home improvement center.

Quote:
Wow. I used to always have fresh/frozen/fryers chickens cut in 1/2 with no problem. But it has been awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
My store always has turkey parts. They must sell in my area. They have to do something with them if they want to sell breasts! One time I bought a frozen turkey and it was missing a wing! LOL I usually tuck the wings behind, but his one wing was just waving in the air with nothing to tuck!
You have to have seen a turkey processing plant to know how that missing wing came to be.
I had a chicken and turkey processing plant as one of my best customers. I many times had to go into the facility to look at equipment.
It was very hard to plan lunch on those days.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #49
Executive Chef

When you are carving the turkey and plating up the meat, do you take the meat off the drumsticks or just put them out whole? I like to pull the meat off, but some tell me just to put them out whole.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #50
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Whole, because they are MINE!!!!!

Tags
oven, recipe, turkey, turkey drumsticks

Turkey Drumsticks - Crockpot vs. Oven I bought some turkey drumsticks for dinner and I was wondering what method of cooking you woulld recommend. I'm considering doing them in the crockpot but I don't want them to disintegrate. I also would like to know what temperature is best for oven roasting in this case. I have the following ingredients list: 3.5 pounds turkey drumsticks 1/8 cup coconut oil 1/8 cup olive oil 1/2 cup Chardonnay 1 cup diced tomatoes 2 tablespoons dried thyme 2 tablespoons dried sage 2 tablespoons dried rosemary 2 tablespoons chopped garlic 1/4 cup chopped carrots 1/4 cup chopped celery 1 chopped onion I've adopted this from a recipe on epicurious.com. Ideally the drumsticks would come as moist and as possible tender without falling apart. Thanks for the advice, Jonathan. 3 stars 1 reviews