"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #21
Executive Chef

I like whole chicken as well. My market does offer cut-whole-chickens, but I never buy them. There are so many options with a whole bird. Butterflied on the grill, beer can chicken, roast chicken, etc. You can cut it into parts to use the white meat one night then the dark meat another.

I found a good sharp chefs knife or boning knife and a pair of shears to cut out the backbone works quite well. Plus, you save a ton of money cutting down larger pieces of meat.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:44 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I hate those pigion size chickens. Nothing like a good 5-6 pounds roaster.

you must be trying to chicken shop at Cub also!! I put one next to a game hen once and really the chicken wasn't any bigger!!
I think it depends how close to the city you shop. Usually I am in Forest Lake, that's where the little ones are. When we lived in St. Paul and Maplewood they were small too. When I shop in Cambridge (a little more hick I guess!) I can find bigger ones, but maybe thats because that one is across from the Super WalMart and competing.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:47 AM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
...Plus, you save a ton of money cutting down larger pieces of meat.

So very true! You can get whole chickens on sale for a lot less than a dollar a pound. Compare that to the cost of the individual parts that add up toa chicken and you will be amazed at the cost difference. Then there are the parts you never get if you buy cut up poultry. The backbone, wing tips and innards that can make a great stock.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:47 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post

you must be trying to chicken shop at Cub also!! I put one next to a game hen once and really the chicken wasn't any bigger!!
I think it depends how close to the city you shop. Usually I am in Forest Lake, that's where the little ones are. When we lived in St. Paul and Maplewood they were small too. When I shop in Cambridge (a little more hick I guess!) I can find bigger ones, but maybe thats because that one is across from the Super WalMart and competing.
It must have something to do with demand in various parts of the country, too. Wal-Mart in the small city where I live has chickens both whole and cut up, around 3-3.5 pounds, but at Food Lion, I can get 6-7 lb. roasters. I like those because there's a lot of extra meat (since there's only two of us) to freeze or use in different recipes.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:51 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

I would LOVE to find a 7 lb. chicken!!!!! I bet I could get 5 meals out of that if you include the chicken stock!
Old 02-27-2008, 11:57 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I have to ask, and Don`t think it`s a stupid question!

but Why would you cut up a whole chicken into bits anyway?

I can see the reason for buying a bag of Wings or Drumsticks or breast, but a bag of a whole chicken cut up (or even doing it yourself), Why would you do that?

what sort of recipe would require this?

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
I would LOVE to find a 7 lb. chicken!!!!! I bet I could get 5 meals out of that if you include the chicken stock!

Our market regularly has Perdue and store brand roasters around 7 pounds.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

I better put in a request w/ DH to move back east. ;)
We don't even have Perdue here. It's the land of Gold n' Plump. They must be MN winter chickens 'cuz they ain't so plump!!!!
Old 02-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095 View Post
I have to ask, and Don`t think it`s a stupid question!

but Why would you cut up a whole chicken into bits anyway?

I can see the reason for buying a bag of Wings or Drumsticks or breast, but a bag of a whole chicken cut up (or even doing it yourself), Why would you do that?

what sort of recipe would require this?

The basic justification for this is that a whole chicken is much less expensive per pound than buying cut up pieces.

The parts of a chicken you cut up may not be used in the same recipe. You may use the breasts for one meal, the legs and thighs for another and save the wings until you have enough for a meal. Then you save the carcass and innards for a stock at a future date.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #30
Executive Chef

YT, I'll butterfly a whole chicken to cook on the grill. I take the bird and remove the backbone, then open up the carcass like a book and flatten it out. I trim off the wing tips and tuck in the wings the best I can. Season both sides with salt, pepper, olive oil and poultry seasoning and put the whole thing on the grill.

Or, cut the chicken into quarters and use as the main ingredient in a braise. You could also rost the parts over some root veggies. Since there is more surface area, it takes less time to cook. TIP: If you roast chicken parts, you can remove the breast meat early so it doesn't dry out.

Tags
None