Braunsweiger/liver wurst sandwich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpmcgrew

Executive Chef
:) Getting ready to fill my rare craving for a braunsweiger sandwich on the NY Times no knead bread fresh out of oven this afternoon. What do you like to put in your sandwich with the braunsweiger? Which do you like better braunsweiger or liver wurst?

Last edited:
I'll take one thank you! I'll take mine with lettuce, tomato, and a couple red onion slices and a bit of mayo and brown mustard.

Never thought to eat it as a sandwhich, I have always snacked on it as is out of the package!

Good bread, good mustard, lettuce sometimes. Mayo & liverwurst? No no no - on so many levels - lol!!!

One thing I've found that is so foul down here in Virginia is that any & all sub sandwiches always come with mayonnaise. Even Italian subs!!! I mean really - salami & mayo? Pepto Bismol please.....

Good bread, good mustard, lettuce sometimes. Mayo & liverwurst? No no no - on so many levels - lol!!!

One thing I've found that is so foul down here in Virginia is that any & all sub sandwiches always come with mayonnaise. Even Italian subs!!! I mean really - salami & mayo? Pepto Bismol please.....

No no no says you - the rest of us say yes yes yes! :LOL:

breezy, there are some sandwich shops around here who, when taking your order, automatically smear some mayo on the bread as they ask you what you want. :sick:

for me, it's liverwurst on pumpernickel or rye, with shaved red or vidalia onion and gulden's mustard.

:) Getting ready to fill my rare craving for a braunsweiger sandwich on the NY Times no knead bread fresh out of oven this afternoon. What do you like to put in your sandwich with the braunsweiger? Which do you like better braunsweiger or liver wurst?

Never tried braunsweiger. Like liverwurst. A sandwich shop in Manhattan used to serve it on soft white bread with mayo (yes mayo, lol), w roasted sweet red peppers & sliced red onion rings. On the side - a dill pickle & potato salad.

If sandwich... onion and mustard.
But I prefer it on saltines, with a splash of Worcestershire Sauce and/or
Franks Hot Sauce, some minced onion and/or a smear of mustard.

As far as which I prefer, I'd probably have to say that I like liverwurst better because the Braunsweiger, regardless of brand, is a bit saltier. Unfortunately though, Braunsweiger I what I usually always have in the house because my geriatric "hounds from heck" will only take their meds if they're mushed up in it. Braunsweiger is infinitely more "mushable" than liverwurst.

I love both Brausweiger and liverwurst equally. Somethimes, when I'm feeling lazy, I just slice off a chunk and munch it. But my favorite way is to slice three rounds, about 1/8 inch thick, and place them on whole wheat toast (One round is broken to fill in any gaps on the bread left by the other two rounds) slathered with Miracle Whip brand salad dressing. Add to that some crispy leaves of iceburgh lettuce, and some sweet onion slices. I find the tangy salad dressing compliments the salty and pungeant liverwurst making my my mouth go crazy with flavors. This, along with a really good BLT are among my absolute favorite sandwiches. The liverwurstor brausweiger sandwich is also great with some seriously sharp cheddar cheese slices added, again for the flavor counterpoint. That sandwich is pure comfort food for me. It's something my Dad and I enjoyed together, often.

Big slice of raw onion... with Braunsweiger...

with mayo. my dog loves it without the mayo. I give the dog her pill and give her a teaspoon of liverwurst as a treat.

We love liverwurst in our home. But lately, I've been making chopped liver since I've had the time. DH loves liverwurst by itself on bread (any bread). I like it on Ritz crackers. As for the chopped liver, love it on crustinis or toast.

Back
Top Bottom