"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 03-10-2008, 02:32 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Getting ready to fill my rare craving for a braunsweiger sandwich on the NY Times no knead bread fresh out of oven this afternoon. What do you like to put in your sandwich with the braunsweiger? Which do you like better braunsweiger or liver wurst?
Never tried braunsweiger. Like liverwurst. A sandwich shop in Manhattan used to serve it on soft white bread with mayo (yes mayo, lol), w roasted sweet red peppers & sliced red onion rings. On the side - a dill pickle & potato salad.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:32 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't have it often but love it on pumpernickle with mustard and swiss cheese.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:59 AM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I love braunsweiger with a slice of sweet onion, s&p and mustard.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:33 AM   #14
Head Chef

If sandwich... onion and mustard.
But I prefer it on saltines, with a splash of Worcestershire Sauce and/or
Franks Hot Sauce, some minced onion and/or a smear of mustard.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:38 AM   #15
Master Chef

As far as which I prefer, I'd probably have to say that I like liverwurst better because the Braunsweiger, regardless of brand, is a bit saltier. Unfortunately though, Braunsweiger I what I usually always have in the house because my geriatric "hounds from heck" will only take their meds if they're mushed up in it. Braunsweiger is infinitely more "mushable" than liverwurst.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #16
Master Chef

I love both Brausweiger and liverwurst equally. Somethimes, when I'm feeling lazy, I just slice off a chunk and munch it. But my favorite way is to slice three rounds, about 1/8 inch thick, and place them on whole wheat toast (One round is broken to fill in any gaps on the bread left by the other two rounds) slathered with Miracle Whip brand salad dressing. Add to that some crispy leaves of iceburgh lettuce, and some sweet onion slices. I find the tangy salad dressing compliments the salty and pungeant liverwurst making my my mouth go crazy with flavors. This, along with a really good BLT are among my absolute favorite sandwiches. The liverwurstor brausweiger sandwich is also great with some seriously sharp cheddar cheese slices added, again for the flavor counterpoint. That sandwich is pure comfort food for me. It's something my Dad and I enjoyed together, often.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:29 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Getting ready to fill my rare craving for a braunsweiger sandwich on the NY Times no knead bread fresh out of oven this afternoon. What do you like to put in your sandwich with the braunsweiger? Which do you like better braunsweiger or liver wurst?
Big slice of raw onion... with Braunsweiger...
Old 03-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #18
Master Chef

with mayo. my dog loves it without the mayo. I give the dog her pill and give her a teaspoon of liverwurst as a treat.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:24 AM   #19
Master Chef

Yellow mustard only, please.
Have you ever tried mushing the braunsweiger up with cream cheese, and mixing in sliced green olives?
Old 03-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #20
Senior Cook

We love liverwurst in our home. But lately, I've been making chopped liver since I've had the time. DH loves liverwurst by itself on bread (any bread). I like it on Ritz crackers. As for the chopped liver, love it on crustinis or toast.