"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 08-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Been buying Martin's potato bread and rolls for years. Haven't noticed any shrinkage.
Because it's potato bread.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #22
Executive Chef

I buy my bread at Panera, and I alternate the type of bread I buy every two weeks. I buy the big loaves and have the clerk put half each in two bags. Then I use one while the other goes in the freezer. If I don't do that, green stuff starts growing on it and I have to toss it out in the yard. I bet I have the healthiest birds in California!

It works out really good because I go to Sunday Brunch at The Lazy Dog and Panera is right around the corner. Target is also in that same shopping center so I can pick up any prescriptions, groceries, cat food, or anything I need in the way of toiletries while I am there.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #23
Head Chef

The times they are a changing.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:07 PM   #24
Head Chef

"Good news everyone!" (says Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth from Futurama).

I found a bread company owned by Bimbo that has bigger sized slices and isn't mushy. It's call Rainbo bread. It's labeled Large size. To me it's the size all bread used to be.

The texture is also more coarse which I like. Home Pride and Sara Lee sandwich bread (and many other brands) are the ones that changed for the worse. So, I've found my new fave bread. Available at Walmart! (Not available at Vons, Safeway, Ralph's or Albertson's) It's more expensive than the others ($2.68 vs. $1.59) but who cares!!!

Old 08-27-2014, 09:19 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

I was just trying to think of the last time I bought a loaf of bread for me (I sometimes buy day old as a treat for the girls)........2001? I find it so much easier to fire up the bread machine if I want a loaf of bread. Most of the time, I make pita bread if I'm going to make bread. For the most part, I quit eating bread in 2012 when I switched to eating my big meal (most days) for breakfast, subbing whole grains for bread. Although I love bread, I really don't miss it. Nor does my waistline.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Fluffernutter doesn't taste right on anything but store bought white bread for me!

I really like homemade bread, but I usually have commercial bread around for convenience.

When I lived in Maine, there was a commercial bread company called J.J. Nissen, now owned by Bimbo, dang it. They had a Canadian White Bread that was as close to homemade bread that you could find from a commercial bakery. It was the only bread I'd buy and it was usually the first to sell out. I now buy Peppridge Farm and it's pretty decent.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:12 PM   #27
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post

"Good news everyone!" (says Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth from Futurama).

I found a bread company owned by Bimbo that has bigger sized slices and isn't mushy. It's call Rainbo bread. It's labeled Large size. To me it's the size all bread used to be.

The texture is also more coarse which I like. Home Pride and Sara Lee sandwich bread (and many other brands) are the ones that changed for the worse. So, I've found my new fave bread. Available at Walmart! (Not available at Vons, Safeway, Ralph's or Albertson's) It's more expensive than the others ($2.68 vs. $1.59) but who cares!!!

It seems everything has been changing. I buy bread when I don't have time to bake it and, yes, I've seen the changes - but honestly never thought about it. Though more expensive, I generally get Pepperidge Farms when I buy it. That being said, when I have the time, I will bake my own bread for two reasons. First, I know exactly what is in it. Secondly, it is pennies on the loaf! (And I can make extra loaves to freeze prior to baking! So I guess that is three reasons!)

Bread is generally a few bucks but the super-awesome KA mixer paid for itself within a year in savings via home-made bread. I also got a pullman pan so I would have soft crusts. Mind you, I got small pans so there is no way that a bologna slice will fit on my bread.

I'm glad you found your bread though. It's upsetting when one likes a product and it changes or disappears!

~Kathleen
Old 08-27-2014, 10:42 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
It seems everything has been changing. I buy bread when I don't have time to bake it and, yes, I've seen the changes - but honestly never thought about it. Though more expensive, I generally get Pepperidge Farms when I buy it. That being said, when I have the time, I will bake my own bread for two reasons. First, I know exactly what is in it. Secondly, it is pennies on the loaf! (And I can make extra loaves to freeze prior to baking! So I guess that is three reasons!)

Bread is generally a few bucks but the super-awesome KA mixer paid for itself within a year in savings via home-made bread. I also got a pullman pan so I would have soft crusts. Mind you, I got small pans so there is no way that a bologna slice will fit on my bread.

I'm glad you found your bread though. It's upsetting when one likes a product and it changes or disappears!

~Kathleen
The kitchenaid just makes bread making fairly effortless, I haven't hand kneaded in quite some time!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:46 PM   #29
Master Chef

I'm not a baker, but I do admire those who can throw together a few loaves of homemade bread at any given time, with or without a bread machine. It seems so effortless when I read about them. I've made homemade bread twice in my life and it was pretty good, but I was clumsy at it.

My fave storebought breads that I always have on hand is pita and Orowheat Dill Rye bread. Love that stuff. I usually have some kind of white or whole wheat bread stashed in the freezer for when the grands are here and want PB&J or French toast.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:59 PM   #30
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I'm not a baker, but I do admire those who can throw together a few loaves of homemade bread at any given time, with or without a bread machine. It seems so effortless when I read about them. I've made homemade bread twice in my life and it was pretty good, but I was clumsy at it.
All it takes is practice... well.. that and a nice mixer.

Tags
bread, sandwich